Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I did the powerline mod a couple of months ago. I already had a K&N air cleaner. I added a Race Fueler to correct the mixture. I rode some tonight and decided to adjust a little because it is a little rough around 3000-4000 RPMs. I had the low and mid pots turned about 1/8 to 1/4 turns each. I understand (I think?) that this setting is little or no fuel added. After a lot of adjusting, I found that it ran much better with both the low and mid pots all the way off....which as far as I know removes fuel. As it is now, the throttle is much crisper. I wonder if the powerline is so inefficient that it requires removing fuel to make it run right. I like the powerline, but I'll ditch it in favor of more HP with LESS noise.

I was also looking at the air box lid. The snorkel opening is about the same size as one throttle body...more or less. I wonder if this is because only one cylinder is drawing air at a time. If you extend this logic to the exhaust, I wonder if one stock pipe on a powerline would flow enough. My gut says no, but my head says "maybe".

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
cc, where do you have the range changes set? The fueler is pre-set for an air-cooled, low to mid 2500, mid to high 4000. Were you getting any black smoke before you turned it down? Turned all the way down, it should be removing 10% fuel.
Running 1 stock muffler is reducing the stock system flow by 50%, which should put a serious crimp in top end power.

·
Registered
70 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have the ranges at 3300 and 6000. No black smoke but it was so rich it was burning my eyes in the shop with the door open and the exhaust pointed out.

My point about one muffler was that only one cylinder is exhausting at a time. The intake snorkel is about the same size as one throttle body. Its my thought that they can do this because only one throttle body is drawing air at any given time...maybe the exhaust is similar. Its not like water through a garden hose where the flow is constant. I would consider it more like a gun with two barrels firing 5 rounds per second or one barrel firing 10 RPS. Clear as mud...?

·
Registered
2,716 Posts
What you have to factor in is the restrictions to flow, with an open pipe the flow would follow your reasoning. But the exhaust flow must pass through baffles and change direction with the bends in the pipes, creating slowdowns in the time it takes the gases to escape-backpressure. The first pulse hasn't vacated the space when the next one arrives. You have fewer changes in direction with the air filter, and the air is lighter than the exhaust so it travels a little quicker.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts