Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone. I had installed the power vision for my 13 DX and everything was fine. A week later I decided to get the Target Tune since I was installing exhaust with 18mm bungs. I have everything hooked up and the bike will not start. Power vision turns on. I have checked all connections. Bike turns on things appear normal but when I hit start it just clicks. Any ideas? I have had it connected to a battery tender. Have tried with it connected and not connected. I am very familiar with working on cars and motorcycles including electrical but this has me stumped.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Hey everyone. I had installed the power vision for my 13 DX and everything was fine. A week later I decided to get the Target Tune since I was installing exhaust with 18mm bungs. I have everything hooked up and the bike will not start. Power vision turns on. I have checked all connections. Bike turns on things appear normal but when I hit start it just clicks. Any ideas? I have had it connected to a battery tender. Have tried with it connected and not connected. I am very familiar with working on cars and motorcycles including electrical but this has me stumped.
Doubt it has anything to do with Powervision or the TT module. Sounds like the battery is low. Tenders are useless at charging and might need a good 2 amp charge on a smart charger. Do a voltage check at the battery terminals with a VOM to see what voltage it currently has.
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I might have tracked it down. I think the security system is not slowing it to start. Have key fob near bike even replaced the fob battery. Alarm won’t disarm now. Bought bike used and I doubt previous owner changed the pin. I tried to disarm via pin but cannot get the bike into the pin mode. Turn bike to ignition and hold both signals within 2 seconds as manual says. It never go to the pin mode.

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
I might have tracked it down. I think the security system is not slowing it to start. Have key fob near bike even replaced the fob battery. Alarm won’t disarm now. Bought bike used and I doubt previous owner changed the pin. I tried to disarm via pin but cannot get the bike into the pin mode. Turn bike to ignition and hold both signals within 2 seconds as manual says. It never go to the pin mode.
In a security issue, there should be no clicks as mentioned in the first post. There will be silence if you hit the start button.
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
At first there were clicks. Then I charged the battery. I was getting a battery low on the odometer. Then after charging now it’s silent and it might be a security issue. I feel like I’m chasing my tail. Thanks again for everyone’s help.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok update. I finally did get the alarm disarmed not going off any more but back to the beginning of when hitting start it just clicks. I’ve tried to stand the bike up, jiffy stand up. Bike is in neutral. Battery is reading 12.4v.

·
Registered
2,234 Posts
Ok update. I finally did get the alarm disarmed not going off any more but back to the beginning of when hitting start it just clicks. I’ve tried to stand the bike up, jiffy stand up. Bike is in neutral. Battery is reading 12.4v.
Check battery voltage when you press starter button. It's possible for a battery to show 12v off load but die when you try to apply starter load if it has a shorted cell internally.

·
VRSC est -03
3,396 Posts
If battery shows 10v or so when hitting starter button its coming to an end.
You`ve checked battery / ground connections? There`s one ground connection rear
end oil sump / tray too. Checked out + wire connection to / at the starter?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
As mentioned, check voltage when hitting the start button. A bat can read full charge, green light on the tender and dive below 9 volts under load. Soleniod will click in around 8-9 volts and below that it won't even click. Generally on a healthy system cranking the starter to start bike, it's around 10 -10.5 v. 9v is considered the minimum.
Oh, if you are using the gauge on the PV for viewing voltage, it's not accurate due to where it pulls the voltage from. ECM. Not all of them act this way and as long as you know it's ok. It can show a .4 lower then actual by using a VOM at the terminals. The PV can also show a -.4 volt from actual also when checking the charging. VOM is the best method for voltage checks.
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ok removed battery brought it to auto store and had them load test it. Battery is good no dead cells. Continued to recheck all grounds and when reattaching battery ground to head it stripped out the head not the screw. I think this bike is against me, about to throw in the towel and tow it to the shop. Any harm in getting a slightly longer ground and attaching it to gnd 1?

·
Registered
5,806 Posts
Ok removed battery brought it to auto store and had them load test it. Battery is good no dead cells. Continued to recheck all grounds and when reattaching battery ground to head it stripped out the head not the screw. I think this bike is against me, about to throw in the towel and tow it to the shop. Any harm in getting a slightly longer ground and attaching it to gnd 1?
That is fine. Engine is basically a common ground.
Ron

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Success! Started up no problem. Will try to route ground better or tap previous ground for a larger thread pitch. Intake won’t seat down down but at least I know what is going on. It had to have been already stripped pretty bad to not allow it to be grounded before. It did not have any corrosion.

·
VRSC est -03
3,396 Posts
Be careful when torque down those 6mm bolts. Book says 10Nm.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes but it was where is connected to the motor. Must have been stripped out and not making a good connection from previous owner. Got a longer ground cable now and connected to ground 1 instead. Will re thread original ground spot soon.

Went for a good hour ride today no problems! Bike seems to be running strong with power vision and target tune. Seems to be nice and smooth, had a rougher idle before and could have been to bad ground.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.