Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just bought my 08 Vrod and it came with rinehart 2-1 exhaust and a power commander. The guy I bought it from said it had not been dynotuned so I'm guessing it just had a base map installed. I was originally planning on ditching the PC for the SE tuner. Well I am now considering keeping the PC because I found a local shop that can dynotune the PC. Now my question is is having the PC actually dynotuned instead of just finding a map to install just as good as what HD can do with the SE? I know the PC is just a piggyback system but if I can get it tuned correctly with it act just as good as the SE? thanks and sry for the rambling

·
Premium Member
444 Posts
To do it right, the Screamin' Eagle will cost you close to $1k for the tuner and the actual dyno. Since you have the PC and have a place that can dynotune, I'd go that route. I have a PC-V and I very satisfied with it.

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #3 (Edited)
Yea after finding out the cost of the SE+tune and finding a place that can actually dynotune the PC is when I began to reconsider. I was just curious if a dynotuned PC was just as good as the SE even though it is a "piggy back" system. $325 to dynotune the PC vs $1000 for SE+tune weighs in a lot onthis decision lol

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
Regardless of the tuning hardware you're using, it is only as great or weak as the person doing the dyno and the actual tune. If you have a decent dyno/tune guy working this for you, then the PC-III is more than capable of giving you what you need and want. Why spend more money if you don't need to?

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thanks for the posts that's what I was wanting to know as long asthe PC can accomplish the same goals with the right sources I will be sticking with it

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
i much prefer tuning with harley`s tuners but a person that knows what he is doing can make a very good running bike with the pwr comdr... the worst thing about a pwr cmdr is the lack of data recording... it is very helpful when dyno tuning to be able to look at all the data from a run but for the price difference i would stay with the pwr cmdr...

·
Registered
296 Posts
If he adds the extra LCD unit the PC has the capability to datalog according to the PC website.Also of note the PC PowerVision also data logs for better tuning.

·
Registered
2,103 Posts
If he adds the extra LCD unit the PC has the capability to datalog according to the PC website.Also of note the PC PowerVision also data logs for better tuning.
ok we don`t sell pwr cmdr`s often and nobody has ever brought one to have it tuned that had the lcd unit and i haven`t seen the powervision yet... the powervision looks to be a great tuner would love to tune with one...

·
Registered
253 Posts
I will give you the same advise as was given to me. If you dont plan on changeing the internals of the engine and are only going to have the pipe and air filter then the PC will do the same thing as the harley tuner. Now if your thinking your going to change the internals of the engine then I would spend the extra $ since the SE actually reprogramms the ECU vs the PC that doesnt.

Here is a link in this forum when I was looking into the differences between the PC and the SERT. best description I have ever came accross on the differences. And why use one over the other.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=148185

On a side note I got bated and switched well my harley dealer tried to waited until my bike was on the lift taken apart to tell me they couldnt dyno my bike with the PC well they lost 4 hours of service time gonna get it dynoed at a different place

·
Registered
54 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Wow yea I knew Harley couldnt do it I've got a PC tuning shop about 30 miles from me that can actually dyno tune the PC. My plan is just have the PC dyno tuned there and spend the other $700 else where since it will be a good while before I delve into intervals (eventhough I wish I could now but driving sprint cars inhibits my ability to throw money around lol)

1 - 10 of 10 Posts