Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys (and gals):

Why can't I open any of these PC map files when you post them on The Forum?? I'm not as computer savy as a lot of you; but I'm fairly proficient(?)
It opens up the Acrobat Reader program; and then says it's either a corrupt file or was sent as an e-mail......so what?
Any help would be greatly appreciated; since I'm about ready to start hooking up my new PCIIIr real soon...and want to try out some of the maps that should work with my bike. Thanks in advance. redrazor

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
redrazor do you have the pcrIII software on your machine. If not then you probably would have to open them with a text editor. I have never looked but they are probably in a hex type format.

Max

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
:plause Max:

Thanks mucho!! I think I've got it figured out now. I just made up a folder on my desktop (next to my Power Commander Icon) , and saved Val's map and a couple of others to the new "map" folder. I guess these get loaded into the actual unit and then change the ECM when I install it. Only one at a time of course. I'm just now reading up on the installation and programing...so I'll keep you posted. I've always been a fan of a small bit of advance in the ignition timing; (or a faster advance curve than stock) to improve acceleration. But, most maps I've looked at don't make much or any change in the ignition side of the formula. With the "anti-knock" reature built into our systems, I would think it would be ok to mess around a little with the advance cure.. what's your experience (you alls', not just Max's)
Thanks again, redrazor :cheers:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Redrazor,

Bumping the advance timing on the PCIII is tough to measure since there's no indication you've gone too far. When the ECM detects detonation it backs off the timing. If you over do it by 1 degree the result could be a 10 deg retard! With the Race Tuner you datalog the dyno session and if you've gone too far you'll know right away because you'll see it in the data log.

I suppose few are bumping the timing because uit's so hard to measure the results.

Mark

·
Registered
284 Posts
You're way beyond my usefull commentary here fellas!

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
I used to run mine at a progressive 1 to 3 degrees advance in the 90% tpo 100% throttle range - My map for a VMod is on a link named Val and....... I found that it worked with all of the various pipe setups that I used. I have switched to a race tuner and I believe that it is set up with advance but I do not have a copy of the maps - which I will get whenever I take the bike down to baseline it for this season.

·
Diesel Smoke Tester
862 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
I finally did it!!(PCIIIr)

Well, I finally installed the PC on the bike...Yesterday! I used a long 9=pin serial port cable to reach downstairs to the shop, and only took about 30 min. to install the unit. Then, I loaded 3 different maps and tried each one out on the street. Wow, what fun. I had studied about 10+ maps and dedcided on 3 that I thought would be best for my set up. The first 2 either made it idle rough, or had flat spots at different speeds. The one I settled on is awsome! It's the M809-028.map; it has just the right fuel inrichment and ignition advance to make a huge difference all through the power range.
Good low-end pulling power, smooth cruising speeds, and really strong full-throttle acceleration! I took an 90 mile ride today up past Sacramento, and started out with a full tank to test the range factor. The gas milage was actually a little better than before the new map....about 38mpg. Did most riding at 70mph (4,000 rpm). I had been averaging 36 or 37 on previous tanks. I am really happy with the new performance....and it was easy and fun to accomplish. thanks for all your inputs on this subject!! :ride:
redrazor

·
Registered
267 Posts
I just dropped my bike off last night at the stealer for a dial in, I guess?? I bought the bike with rip saws (switched to the VH Powershots) and a mod'd top K&N filter and an ECM that was tuned to ??? I had them flash the ECM stock, install the PCIII, load the -027 file and asked them to dyno tune it from there. I had tried the -028 map file but still had a rich and flat bike bellowing smoke almost thru the entire range. I sure hope this cleans er up!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts