Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Heres what I am running. PCIII, SE2 16 Gauge v-mod, Stage 1 ECM flash download (when I purchased the bike and before the PCIII), Topless, 28 tooth pulley with ECM speedo correction download (16 guage/28 tooth pulley flash) and a custom map that my HD powercommander tuner tech created. I lost 9 HP and 4 Ft-#'s of toque with my new set-up. I just added my 28 tooth pulley, ECM speedo calibration download and the v-mod 16 gauge baffels.

Before, I ran with PCIII, SE2 16 Gauge, Stage 1 ECM download (flash) and Topless. I dyno'd 116 HP and 76.6 ft-#'s of torque.

I have inserted my dyno chart. My tech was in a hurry to finish my bike and was having problems with the dyno because of the smaller pulley. I paid $250.00 for this dyno and I am totally disappointed. Why did I lose 9 hP???? Should I call the GM and complain and insist a re-dyno??? Any help would be great.

Are there any maps for this particular set up that I can try???? I will call Steve at v-mod on Monday, but is there a quick fix now???

Attachments

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Here is the map break down he ran, I do not understand what any of it means!!!!

Attachments

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
I can see many things wrong with this picture.

1. The tech claimed to be having trouble because of the 28T pulley :bs: There's nothing about the 28T pulley that can effect the dyno run. It's no different than running the pull in 3rd instead of 4th.

2. The map you loaded to correct the speedo is not the same as the map used to create the original tune. Not even close

3. The pipes were V-Modded, on the 16ga pipes changing the baffle has a lot of effect on the flow characteristics if the pipe.

4. There's no such thing as a "Stage 1" flash for the v-rod. There are pipe specific flashes, one for the SE Slipons and one for the SE 16ga. These have also been modified to allow for topless running. It's highly likely that either the first flash or the latest flash was for the SE Slipons and not for the 16ga. It's happened all to often.

My suggestions:

1. Take the PCIIIr out and see how it runs. It should be pretty good and pull better than your existing setup.

2. Have the bike dynoed without the PCIIIr for a baseline and to see where it might need some help

3. Plug the PCIIIr back into the system, zero it out and start over based on the new readings from the dyno run mentioned above.

After I get done with a tuning session Friday @ Gators in Leesburg I may have another option for you. If Mike is half as good as he thinks he is I should have a real good tune using the Race Tuner. If I'm satisfied with his work I'll suggest you ditch the PCIIIr (sell it here or on ebay) and step up to the Race Tuner and have Mike @ Gators fix you up.

(I have another dyno shop in Longwood I'll be spending some quality time with using a Mustang Eddy Current Dyno in the near future. I hope to be able to report on the pros and cons between these 2 types of tuning dynos)

Mark

·
Ironbutt
886 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Mark, thanks for replying.

1) As for the The map I loaded to correct the speedo not being the same as the map used to create the original tune. Yes, the speedo correction was ecm download purchased for $149.00

2) I am aware that There's no such thing as a "Stage 1" flash for the v-rod. There are pipe specific flashes, one for the SE Slipons and one for the SE 16ga. I got the flash when I first had the pipes instaled. It's highly likely that the first flash was mistakenly for the SE Slipons and not for the 16ga. The newest flash was for the 28 tooth pulley and 16 gauge pipes (I bought this from Steve). It did not specify about being modified to allow for topless running.

3) I will unplugg the bike and see how it runs. Won't It run rough due to the v-mods???? Next I will try Monster Maxx map. I am hoping that that will work, even though it is map 017 (stock ECM, which I do not have).

4) As for starting over with the dyno and tuning, I will call the GM tomorrow morning (after I speak with Steve) and tell them that I want my bike re-tuned and this time the tech will take his time. Is there a good reason why I lost thatmuch HP and Torque???? The tech will blame the v-mods. Before he re-tuned my bike he was telling me that the bike would lose alot of power and run like $hit. So he already had a premeditated idea about my bike. I just want some factual info to tell the GM and the tech, so they will redo my tune without giving me problems.

5) I am on the fence about getting a race tuner. I have already spent alot of $$ on this power Commander and want to give it a fair chance.

Thank you for all of the info,
Jason

1 - 4 of 4 Posts