Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 2006 R that is the pearl yellow, anyone know of a powder code that is SIMILAR to it??? guessing its gonna be hard to find.....but i wanna do my wheels and maybe a couple other parts....any help???

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
J-Rodvrscr said:
i have a 2006 R that is the pearl yellow, anyone know of a powder code that is SIMILAR to it??? guessing its gonna be hard to find.....but i wanna do my wheels and maybe a couple other parts....any help???
Getting the powder in a similar yellow would be difficult. You can go to a paint store (PPG is what is on your bike) and get them to color match your yellow in a base coat like a Global DBC, and then paint your wheels with that and have them clear powder coated. That is the same way your air box and front fender is painted, liquid spray base color and clear powder coated.

Hope that helps.

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
it does, my brothers X wife is now dating this guy that owns his own powdercoating business, i've seen their work and am very impressed, i think i'll take him the airbox cover and have him match it the best he can, but i'll tell him PPG is whats there now, thanks for the help.....

·
Ray Connor
1,785 Posts
J-Rodvrscr said:
it does, my brothers X wife is now dating this guy that owns his own powdercoating business, i've seen their work and am very impressed, i think i'll take him the airbox cover and have him match it the best he can, but i'll tell him PPG is whats there now, thanks for the help.....

Just keep in mind that as far as the color of the Yellow pearl goes it won't have anything to do with his powder shop. The base coat will be something that you need to take to a PPG liquid paint store, like an automotive refinish store. They will take your airbox and put a machine on it that will come up with very close match in a DBC global base coat. The factory has a yellow base with a pearl top coat, but they will make you one that is DAMN close that is a single pass application. After you get that and paint your wheels yellow with the liquid clear base coat and then that is where you guy with the powdercoat shop comes in to powder clear coat them. The PPG clear powder is an acrylic formula. If he falls through drop a PM to Tyson876, he is very good with this stuff and will definetly take car of you. Some of those liquid paint shops charge you for color match and some don't. I have seen up to $20. Then you will be looking at around $50-$75 for a half quart, or you can go with their cheaper off brand "OMNI" which I have used several times with no problems and is considerably cheaper, kind of like Nason and Dupont.

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
ok, well he isnt charging me for much, he is hooking it up pretty big, i mean, he is the new step-dad to my nephews and we are all civil, he is charging me $60/wheel , $15 for my aluminum side covers, and $25 for my engine guard and pegs that i just bought....including the powder, and prep work....perhaps i'll take my airbox to ppg and get that paint code and consider that route....then i could do 2 colors on my wheels, right? if i masked off the spokes and did the wheel black and the spokes yellow or vice versa...?

·
Now on a VRSCDX!!!
604 Posts
Remember when everybody wanted them to black powdercoat the V-Rod?

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
i dont, but i am turning my pearl yellow R into a bee, and having it black and yellow, i know there ia black and orange model out there not an R but, i like the scheme, so i'm going for yellow and black....its gonna be sweet.....

·
Jared
3,488 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok, my...nephews step dad (twice removed in law haha) told me that if i did a liquid paint undercoat that the clear powdercoat would melt the paint in the oven, so i'm giving him my airbox to see what kinda powder he can get me....we'll get it figured out....pics coming....

1 - 8 of 8 Posts