Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I took my hand and foot controls off so I can get them powder coated black (of course :D )

The problem is that there are nylon or plastic bushings in both of the foot controls and in the front brake hand control. I cannot get any of them to come out.

Do they have to come out prior to powder coating? If so it seems I will destroy them trying to get them out. Are the bushings readily available from the dealer?

Help me out, I am trying to get all the way over to the “Dark Side”. :sinister:

·
Registered
127 Posts
yes they come out, try using something the same size, ie socket, and tap them out, the person that powdercoated mine hammered them out, he said they would probably melt, but didnt want to take the chance

·
day dreaming...
1,795 Posts
yes they have to go out before powdercoating. use socket that has the same diameter and tap them. they will go out and you can reuse them again.

make sure your pwdercoater covers that bushing area.

·
Registered
3,243 Posts
yes they have to go out before powdercoating. use socket that has the same diameter and tap them. they will go out and you can reuse them again.

make sure your pwdercoater covers that bushing area.
:them:

·
Premium Member
2,293 Posts
ALSO - IMPORTANT...

The places where these DO come out, HAS TO BE TAPED OR PAPERED OFF. If you don't and they get powdercoated INSIDE, have FUN getting the bushings BACK IN. This goes as well, for exterior surfaces that fit INTO STUFF - like footpeg mounts, etc.

I had FUN FUN FUN sanding and scraping powdercoating off stuff that I (or they) neglected to cover. Needless to say, I learned my lesson FAST.

Powdercoating increases surface thickness - you might not think by MUCH, that is, until you try to get that bushing back in, or fit on part INSIDE another. Threaded parts count here too.

If your powdercoater does a lot of bike parts, they'll KNOW THIS - but make sure to REMIND THEM. I've had mine RE-DO a few things, because they forgot, and I didn't want to spend an hour, carefully scraping and sanding to make the part fit again.

Rule of thumb - surfaces that SHOW get powdercoated - surfaces that don't DO NOT...

Rick

·
Registered
367 Posts
As everyone else said, bang it out carefully with the same size socket. +1 to SickRicks post!! I had my foot controls powdercoated also. They were actually the first thing I really had powdercoated in my entire life so I had no idea how it worked. I thought I was careful when telling the guy what to tape, powdercoat, etc, etc. I guess I wasn't. Just the extra thickness (as minimal as it is) puts a damper on putting parts back together. Sanding, grinding, banging all while trying not to mess up your new powdercoat job. In the process I did mar some of the new finish. Just be careful and take notes on how it goes back together. Take pictures if need be and be specific with what you do/do not want coated. Stick to his rule of thumb and you should be ok. It's not a big deal....an ounce of prevention will go along way in the end.

·
Registered
17 Posts
i had to take mine out when pc them, the only way i could get them out was to cut them out then go to the dealer and buy more, i think they were 29.95 which is crazy. but the look is awesome

·
Registered
128 Posts
all my stuff is being powder coated as i type this. i told the guy and we sat down what all had to be taped off and what couldnt be done. i am going to blow a gasket if he ****ed up and didnt listen.

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I was able to drive the bushings out with sockets. THANKS!

Well, I got my parts back. $40 for hand and foot levers. They look great and I can't wait to get them back on the DX. Of course they got some of the PC on the inside of the parts I told them not too. I will just use a real fine dremel wheel of some sort and get it off.

Any ideas on how you protect the right side foot control from wearing the PC'ing off where your boot will press on it? It would be nice if they made a rubber cover for it. But being HD...they would cost a hundred dollars!

Also, what other parts have you all had PC'ed?

·
Registered
93 Posts
ALSO - IMPORTANT...

The places where these DO come out, HAS TO BE TAPED OR PAPERED OFF. If you don't and they get powdercoated INSIDE, have FUN getting the bushings BACK IN. This goes as well, for exterior surfaces that fit INTO STUFF - like footpeg mounts, etc.

I had FUN FUN FUN sanding and scraping powdercoating off stuff that I (or they) neglected to cover. Needless to say, I learned my lesson FAST.

Powdercoating increases surface thickness - you might not think by MUCH, that is, until you try to get that bushing back in, or fit on part INSIDE another. Threaded parts count here too.

If your powdercoater does a lot of bike parts, they'll KNOW THIS - but make sure to REMIND THEM. I've had mine RE-DO a few things, because they forgot, and I didn't want to spend an hour, carefully scraping and sanding to make the part fit again.

Rule of thumb - surfaces that SHOW get powdercoated - surfaces that don't DO NOT...

Rick
i had mine taped off, the flat surfaces that don't show unless you pull the lever got taped. :them:

·
Premium Member
1,138 Posts
You will wear off the PC on the brake pedal with your foot, I've had my lever coated twice now. But the look is worth it, Skip

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
do you have to sandblast or rough up the levers before pc ing them ?

·
Registered
627 Posts
Just an FYI. If you want to get powder coating off of a surface easily spray some gasket remover on it. It will soften it up and let you scrape it or brush it off easily. This is really great when you get powder in a threaded hole that you don't have a thread chaser for.

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
do you have to sandblast or rough up the levers before pc ing them ?
No, just make sure they don't get it in the holes. It adds a lot to the thickness and the bushings and such will not fit until you scrape the coating back off.

I am trying to decide which other parts I want to get coated now. :)

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
thanks, i thought they had to be blasted for the stuff to stick , this saves a step

·
Beck
44 Posts
I used bar bq grill paint flat black on mine and it has held up for two years except the brake pedal wears down and has to be resprayed. Anyone know what it will take to get a lower heat shield replaced it came off going down the road and broke the brackets on the stock pipe. I might see if the stealership will fix it since they are the ones to have them off 2-3 times. This year should be good I have no wife to bug me about riding, she has been replaced my a hot thing with a lower back tatoo on the back of the v.

·
Cranky Frank
100 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
:thumb:
I used bar bq grill paint flat black on mine and it has held up for two years except the brake pedal wears down and has to be resprayed. Anyone know what it will take to get a lower heat shield replaced it came off going down the road and broke the brackets on the stock pipe. I might see if the stealership will fix it since they are the ones to have them off 2-3 times. This year should be good I have no wife to bug me about riding, she has been replaced my a hot thing with a lower back tatoo on the back of the v.
Great Idea, I may do my screens this way. :thumb:

1 - 19 of 19 Posts