Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So my VRSCA came to me with fancy shiny billet aluminium wheels. Trouble is I live in the rainy UK and to top it by the seaside near Portsmouth. I am ready fed up of polishing lol was thinking maybe having them powdercoated to make them easier to maintain or maybe even swap them out for powdercoated stock wheels, Anyone on here from the UK had their wheels powdercoated, how much did it cost?

·
VRSC est -03
3,244 Posts
Slightly off topic, any pictures of your wheels?

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Slightly off topic, any pictures of your wheels?
I'll take some pictures later when I get a chance, someone might be able to give me an idea of who the manufacturer is for when I get round to selling them on🙂

·
Registered
119 Posts
Ebay has a pair of powder coated stock wheels in Southen on Sea.

eBay item number: 154736082691

Give me a shout if you want to sell yours on,

·
Registered
22 Posts
Hi Choldy,
What I hear is that powder coating paint is very hard and in case that a stone or debris from the road hits your wheel, the paint bursts an will be damaged. A regulair spray paint would be a better option IMO.....
Have fun with your bike!
Marcel.

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi Choldy,
What I hear is that powder coating paint is very hard and in case that a stone or debris from the road hits your wheel, the paint bursts an will be damaged. A regulair spray paint would be a better option IMO.....
Have fun with your bike!
Marcel.
My understanding is that painted items get the paint stripped off (I think usually through sandblasting) before getting powdercoated. I just had the wheels on my ZX-10R powder coated, someone had done a lousy job spray painting them Kawi green over the stock red, there were a bunch of chips, and now they are smooth and evenly coated, so I know all of the old paint got taken off. It cost me $250 at a local shop plus $25 for someone to press new bearings in plus the cost of bearings ($50 or so I think). It was well worth it. Just need to get the new fairing painted and the gas tank repainted and throw it on and the bike will look better than it did the day it rolled off the factory floor.

J.Ja

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My understanding is that painted items get the paint stripped off (I think usually through sandblasting) before getting powdercoated. I just had the wheels on my ZX-10R powder coated, someone had done a lousy job spray painting them Kawi green over the stock red, there were a bunch of chips, and now they are smooth and evenly coated, so I know all of the old paint got taken off. It cost me $250 at a local shop plus $25 for someone to press new bearings in plus the cost of bearings ($50 or so I think). It was well worth it. Just need to get the new fairing painted and the gas tank repainted and throw it on and the bike will look better than it did the day it rolled off the factory floor.

J.Ja
Well I'm still thinking the whole thing through tbh, lots of options, I also came across some pretty cool looking Carbon Fibre wheels that come in different colours etc, as well as being easier to maintain the carbon fibre wheels would also make the bike pick up speed marginally quicker I'd expect with the reduction in unsprung weight then I may be able to offset some of the cost by selling on my current wheelset..choices choices...for now I'll keep polishing😅

·
Simple Pleasures
83 Posts
Choldy, have you looked into having your wheels professionally polished and ceramic coated? Ceramic coating is the latest rage over here. Very hard, protects paint, chrome, etc pretty well. Lasts at least 2 years. I've had my car and my bikes done. On the wheels, brake dust just doesn't stick. I can practically blow it off with an air hose.

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Choldy, have you looked into having your wheels professionally polished and ceramic coated? Ceramic coating is the latest rage over here. Very hard, protects paint, chrome, etc pretty well. Lasts at least 2 years. I've had my car and my bikes done. On the wheels, brake dust just doesn't stick. I can practically blow it off with an air hose.
Oh ok this is a whole new process to me, that may well be a thing for me, sounds like it might be a way to retain the current look but protect against the wet salty air here, I'll look into it thanks 🙂

·
Registered
16 Posts
Ceramic coating is awesome. I had my last car coated, and my current car gets it done in a few weeks (already has the wheels done). It's definitely fantastic for easy cleanup, the way I see it the money I spent on the coating I got back by cutting my washing time by half if not more. Instead of using the pressure washer, a quick wipe with a microfiber with Optimum No Rinse makes the car look amazing. I'll do my bike wheels eventually.

J.Ja

1 - 12 of 12 Posts