Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey everyone,

I have a 2006 VRSCR that I have had for about 5 months. I had the "clunk" that the dealer seems to have fixed, the broken exhaust heat shield tabs that broke off, those were covered under warranty. I noticed while cleaning the bike yesterday that there are lots of cracks in the powder coating on the frame by the swingarm pivot. I know that they were not there last week as I clean my bike regularly. I was wondering if anyone else has had this happen to them? I love the bike, I commute 50 miles a day on it everyday. But I am wondering how H-D will handle this one. I took it to the dealer today, and he took pictures of the cracking to email to the factory. I was also concerned about possibly a cracked frame. Thanks

D

·
Registered
605 Posts
Can you do a 'dye penetrant' test on the area? Auto parts stores have a kit to do this. It will give an indication if the cracks are in the metal or just the powder coating. Its part of a field called 'Non-destructive Testing; something I used to do in powerplants and refineries. Be sure to fallow the instructions in the kit. This will give you an idea if its safe to fide or not and the abiility to monitor the frame while the dealer/factory make up their mind on what to do. Or look up a machine shop that is familar with this test procedure and have them do it. Make sure the surface is clean and dry before you test. You dont have to remove the powder coat to test!

Good luck, Bruce

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
For anyone interested,

The pictures were emailed to Milwaukee and H-D ended up sending out a representative to analyze the frame. They just called me and said that they are going to replace the frame. I get to keep the same VIN number . Kind of nervous having my bike torn down to the frame. I guess the bright side will be that my frame will be brand new. Thanks Bruce for the reply regarding the testing of the frame integrity.

Dana

·
Registered
605 Posts
Please ask what they find out if you can. Always nice to know and just plain curious when it comes to failure analysis.

Could you 'push' for a new bike? Maybe talk to dealer..

·
Registered
2,809 Posts
Can you post pics???

·
Registered
74 Posts
Same happened to a friend's 06 D. HD have replaced the frame even though it is outside of warrantee

1 - 7 of 7 Posts