Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The roads down here suck. The further south of I-10 you get, the worse it is. Especially in Vermilion Parish where my mom lives.

What's is the best front suspension setup for soaking up these rough roads?

Progressive 440's at their softest setting work for the rear and I've tried the standard length Progressive front springs but they don't do enough. I'm thinking of getting out of V-rods all together and buying some sort of long travel BMW to handle the crap roads.

Any adivce?

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,424 Posts
Geeez, looks like you guys need to start paying more taxes..

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Ricor's with a fork brace handles them for me... stock springs and stock weight fork oil. Some people have put the progressive springs in with the ricors but mine is fine with out them.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
PS.... y'all have the worst roads in the country... I hate when I have to go to Berwick or Fourchon....

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
That has to do with the drinking age. You guys won't follow suit & go along with the rest of the country on the law stating that alcohol being served to anyone under 21 is illegal. Therefore the Federal Government will not grant you $ to keep your highways & other state roadways up to par.

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Geeez, looks like you guys need to start paying more taxes..
No the state just needs to lose it corruption and actually start using them to actually repair the roads....

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
That has to do with the drinking age. You guys won't follow suit & go along with the rest of the country on the law stating that alcohol being served to anyone under 21 is illegal. Therefore the Federal Government will not grant you $ to keep your highways & other state roadways up to par.
Dude, that is so 1997. We caved in and changed the drinking age to 21 over a decade ago. But yeah, the roads down here are bad. and they aren't going to get better anytime soon...

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Lousyana roads are by far and away the worst in the USA. I spend about 20 days a month around the Shreveport area. I recommend Racetech or Ricor front end with light weight fork oil and Works or better rear shocks. It'll still suck with all that crap though. I've had my F250 damn near bounce off the road before over there.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Dude, that is so 1997. We caved in and changed the drinking age to 21 over a decade ago. But yeah, the roads down here are bad. and they aren't going to get better anytime soon...
1997? lol...

Well it's gonna take decades to get you guys up to par with all the other states.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I live in mid state NY, about 3 hrs north of the city. Our roads look alot like what your showing in your pics. I'm riding on a stock setup on an 08 DX and I can say its a rough ride sometimes. I actually split a set of stock dunlops on my old scoot from hitting a pothole. I mostly ride with my wife who rides a BMW F800GS which is a dual sport. When were riding at night you can see the difference in rides. Her headlight beam doesnt move an inch while mine is bouncing all over the damn place. Also, as much as I love my Vrod and would never give it up, her BMW is dollar for dollar, the better made bike. But, at the end of the day, I would rather have alittle back ache then ride a giant dirt bike!

·
Banned
837 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Cool. So it sounds like Ricor or Racetech are the way to go.

Do you think chaning to Progressive fork springs too would help?

·
Registered
1,037 Posts
Cool. So it sounds like Ricor or Racetech are the way to go.

Do you think chaning to Progressive fork springs too would help?
They might but with the fluid control that the the Ricors or Racetechs give you it may end up to stiff and feeling like a pogo stick... Both inserts work on the same premise but the Ricors are designed to work without drilling you stock dampner while the Racetechs you have to pull the dampner out of your lowers and drill the orifice on the plunger rod. So the Ricors are just a drop in installation much easier but I believe the racetechs are cheaper... see this thread

PS: note the discount code listed on the first page of that thread.....

·
Registered
138 Posts
NYC laughs at them little holes and bumps.......I did do the 440's in the rear with the fluid change and the progressive front springs. Made it liveable at least....

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I also have the Ricor intiminators and defiantly the best upgrade to the front suspension I have done. Ricor is building me a new set of shocks for the rear. I can't wait

·
Been there done that
1,527 Posts
X La life long resident.

I just moved from Lafayette,La where I paid $1,800 a year taxes. Same house in Austin,Tx. has a $8,200 tax bill for house that cost same amount. Yes the roads in La. are crap and the roads in Texas are much better. You get what you pay for. The public schools are great, so you don't have to send your kids to private schools. La. is going down the toilet I lived in New Orleans area before KATRINA came. Now it is worst than ever. OF course the food is still good and there are some good areas but everything is more expensive. Drivers are much harder in M/Cs more deaths due to accidents with 4 wheelers. Just my opinion....

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
You aint gonna find much that will work any better than the V-Rod stock mushy suspension on roads like that.maybe a set of those fancy $600 rear shocks,but I doubt they would do much for ya in those conditions.

Get a second beater bike for commuting and save the V-Vod from those roads.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts