Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hi folks, Im shopping for a VROD here in Canada and I have come across a 2002 model with only 4000 miles on it. Speedo/Odo is in Miles not Km ( I would expect Km on all Canadian bikes). So I have I believe that it was 1) a US imported bike, or 2) the gage cluster was swapped out and the mileage isnt legit.

The bike is in decent shape but not "immaculate", Seats (OEM and a Mustang) show a bit more wear than id expect for 4000 miles. some minor pitting on the fork leg and wheels.

Price on the bike is ok. ($7500 CAD$ --or-- $5600 USD), and they are willing to entertain my Trade-in.

So, my questions are basically around the feasibility of swapping a gauge cluster on a 2002 VROD, ie am I buying a legit 4000 mile bike ?. I know on some newer Harleys, if you swap for a another used cluster it shows vinerr on the display but im not informed enough on Harleys to know if its an easy swap on a 2002 VROD. I have a CARFAX for the bike and it shows no US registration or history. I may get a Canadian UVIP to see when the bike was first registered in Canada.

Basically im trying to inform myself enough to either make an offer or run-away.

thanks !!!

·
Registered
249 Posts
i just found out from my local dealer that on that year , there is no way for them to program the bikes current mileage, so if the cluster is replaced, it will have 0 miles. so, if that cluster was replaced in the past, it only shows the elapsed milege since the cluster was replaced

·
Registered
2,008 Posts
Hi folks, Im shopping for a VROD here in Canada and I have come across a 2002 model with only 4000 miles on it. Speedo/Odo is in Miles not Km ( I would expect Km on all Canadian bikes). So I have I believe that it was 1) a US imported bike, or 2) the gage cluster was swapped out and the mileage isnt legit.

The bike is in decent shape but not "immaculate", Seats (OEM and a Mustang) show a bit more wear than id expect for 4000 miles. some minor pitting on the fork leg and wheels.

Price on the bike is ok. ($7500 CAD$ --or-- $5600 USD), and they are willing to entertain my Trade-in.

So, my questions are basically around the feasibility of swapping a gauge cluster on a 2002 VROD, ie am I buying a legit 4000 mile bike ?. I know on some newer Harleys, if you swap for a another used cluster it shows vinerr on the display but im not informed enough on Harleys to know if its an easy swap on a 2002 VROD. I have a CARFAX for the bike and it shows no US registration or history. I may get a Canadian UVIP to see when the bike was first registered in Canada.

Basically im trying to inform myself enough to either make an offer or run-away.

thanks !!!
Chase up the first registered information to begin with. You will get better and more accurate info as to what you are looking at, as swapping out the cluster is a very simple job and you can pretty much use any cluster from any model so no guarantees. Post a pic of the cluster face. It could be identified straightaway if a later one has been used. Also if you turn the key to accy while pressing the trip button the cluster will give you its part no.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I saw the title of this thread and was expecting to see a picture of a Canadian wearing a Speedo bathing suit. I am disappointed.

·
Registered
21 Posts
See if you can trace cluster lines and look for cut or zip ties or if cables cleaner than other ones. Also check owners they might not of rode much , like more than one scooter. Lots of people got scared of the power they had when they came out they used to slow cruiser lol

1 - 6 of 6 Posts