Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hello Team,
I'm in the process of a potential V-Rod purchase and want to gleen all the useful information I can obtain. The bike I'm interested in is an 04 VRSC (no model known yet) with 27,500 miles on it. I've been riding for over 40 years but this will be my first V-Rod purchase. What should I look for when trying out this bike? Anything hidden that could potentially turn into an expensive repair?
I currently ride an 05 V-Star 1100

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
If the bike is owned by a forum member, search their posts to get an idea of the bike's history. That's how I did it and after reviewing for weeks the most talked about threads about gas gauges, head clunks, etc., I just decided what I could live with and went for it. I got a great bike at a great price that I can flog the crap out of and enjoy. Mine is a higher mileage bike as well - 2002 w/41k, but it runs strong and handles great!

I see you're in do-da too, look me up when you make you decision...

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
imnict,
So I trust from your purchase that you haven't run into any major (expensive) problems?
My last custom Harley, several years ago, was a constant headache, I don't want nor can I afford another garage queen.
Thanks

·
Mmm donut...
48 Posts
I've had to replace the rear brake switch (search the forums for the solution) and I think the clutch is the original one that came with the bike and I'll need to replace it before too long as it chatters when I launch it hard. A new SE slipper will fix that. I'm waiting for the winter weather to kill my joy then I'm going to replace the clutch.

I took it to Arkansas with a buddy and went tearing through the hills with it with no worries. The "Jasper Disaster" route is a blast on a V-rod.

The previous owners (I'm #3) took very good care of it as I got the service records and even the original invoice with it when I bought it. The original owner paid nearly $17k for it in 2002...

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
The motor's are bullet proof in my opinion. I have an 06 D model and I haven't had any major problems with the bike to speak of. It is a money pit, but not from breakdowns. The many mod's are fun but get expensive!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I "just" came back from riding it. Whew! what a rush. The bike appears to be well kept and maintained however the fuel gauge is beginning to act up. I've read about the repair on that one already. The rear tire is worn and cupping a little odd. I believe it has the stock drive belt, how long can a person expect one to last with moderate to occasional abuse? I see the rear tire is a 180/55R18, is this the stock size? Looking at the rear swing arm clearance it appears I could step up to a little larger maybe 200 or 210, any thoughts on this?
BTW, I think this is a basic "A" model. So what are the later model differences?

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Some guys have never had a drive belt break. I have but feel I had the tension too tight. That is the stock tire size for a 180 tire. You can go up to a 200 before you start rubbing. Does your bike have a black or silver frame? VRSCA had the silver frame and VRSCB had the black frame.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
vrodderD,
It has a silver frame. Thanks for the info on the tire size, I'll go shopping for good brand name. Any suggestions? I'm an older rider, not a crotch rocket fan, but occasionally enjoy a twist of the throttle on the open road. I also noticed the seat is a little "firm"compared to my present V-Star 1100 Custom, it has a really nice comfortable seat for long rides. I'll look into a nice comfortable replacement for that too, of course cost may be the deciding factor. I'm already aware that the term "HD" refers to "Hundreds of Dollars".

·
Registered
133 Posts
I went with the Metz 200 and a Metz front as well. You do in most cases have to notch the belt guard a little on top and remove the plastic guard on the bottom. Way better with the 200, probably more to do with the brand of tire vs the size. Also the seat is not bad. After a couple of rides I have no complaints and this butt is 55 years old. Welcome to the club. I would also recommend a oil change and filter change right away to be on the safe side.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
azdave,
It just so happens I have a relatively fresh new pair of Metzlers on my V-Star and was already leaning in that direction as a replacement tire for the back. The current owner just put a new Metzler on the front but hasn't gotten around to replacing the rear. I'll use the lack of a new rear tire as a negotiating point. My 67 year old Butt tends to like something a little "softer?" than what I observed in the stock seat and tire on the test ride this afternoon. Time and money will tell. Thanks for the input.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
The Metz is a great tire as many will attest too here. I tend to recommend Avon Cobra's personally, as I have gotten the most mileage out of that tire (approx 13k). I would check into a Sundowner for the seat as its the most comfortable for long rides IMHO. Keep your eyes on the forum for someone selling as we generally pass on decent deals to each other, some exceptions of course. I know what you mean on the hundred dollars. Get a service manual too, that will save you a ton of money as most maintenance on these bikes is pretty easy.

Plenty of options though. Good luck and keep the rubber side down. :D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
vrodder,
Ya know, if these darned bikes weren't so "quick" when ya twist the throttle, we might get some really good mileage out of a set of over priced tires. It's a hard act to balance.
Thanks for your response. I've been retired 11 years now and with the economy in the termoil it's in, I'm having a tough time justifying this purchase. If I knew I could unload my 05 V-Star quickly, I'd act a little quicker. The V-Rod owner will be gone on a weeks trip to the Bahamas or someplace like that, so I have a few days to roll this around in the ole head. Of course I've got to check with the "significant other half" yet. I tell people after 30 plus years of marriage I do pretty much as I want too, I just check with her to make sure "I want too"!

·
Registered
133 Posts
Since your retired and it will be getting cold in KS. why not snowbird here in AZ with your bike? Starting in Oct. there is a ride almost every weekend and on top of that you can enjoy golf, the sites and most importantly the weather. I can give you some great condos that rent out by the week or month. Time to enjoy that bike and retirement.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
azdave,
Actually, we've "Been There, Done That" when it comes to Snowbirding. My parents snowbirded at Lake Havasu their last years of retirement when they could still drive back and forth. I have a sister and her hubby who live in Sun City who retired from Riverside Ca. Our last RV, (one of many over the years) was a 38 foot diesel pusher with two slides. Back when diesel fuel went to $4 a gallon that was one of the deciding factors to stop being a vagabond, we'd done that for 10 years at that time. We stopped full timing and put up a pre-fab on real estate we used as a home base here in Wichita. I have a small group of former High School friends and former co-workers, (who unfortunately are still working), that I ride with. Most all of them are die-hard Harley riders. While they give me no grief about riding a metric cruiser, they do pressure for me to conform to their mind-set about Harleys. I've owned a couple, both of which cost me dearly to maintain. Of course time and wisdom has improved todays Harleys so that is something to consider. If you weren't already aware of it, lots of Harley owners aren't necessarily in tune with self maintenance. They just take theirs in for it's regular maintenance and have everything fixed then. Darn few do their own maintenance outside of maybe changing the oil or changing spark plugs. I realize most Harley products have a nice re-sale value, something that can't necessarily be said for metric bikes in most cases. The final judgement is yet to be made.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Welcome to the forum. Have fun here,Ride safe,
Always Ride like everyone is trying to KILL you. Why? because they are...

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Just do it.

Stop thinking about it & all that blah blah blah...etc... I mean, haven't you done enough "thinking" in your life so far?

Ride safe.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts