·
VRSC est -03
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #123
V-Rod Stroker Cranks by :

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
I really don't like the weld up stroker cranks but maybe for limited use 1/4 mile racing ? Too many questions about proper welding practices, porosity, heat treatment, final finish quality, shortened bearing life etc. I wouldn't want one for a 50 or 75K possible street bike engine but that's just my humble opinion for my use - and for another $ 1200 you can get a brand new Marine Industries Stroker Crank so that's what I'd do - plus that stroker crank is just the entry fee - case & balancer machining, new rods & pistons, case brace etc. if you're going to spend all that really what's another $ 1200 for a fresh, new, purpose built crank ? Anyone here have any feedback on their high mileage weld-ups,. a Falicon or a Marine Industries stroker crank installation ? Be interesting.

·
VRSC est -03
2,595 Posts
Discussion Starter #125
Steering damper:

Steerin Damper.jpg

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
Why would a VRSCR need one ? Mine is rock solid never gets squirrely had it up to 135+ mph if anything it needs an anti-stabilizer to help it be a little less stable to turn better bike runs like it's on rails -

·
Registered
23 Posts
Why would a VRSCR need one ? Mine is rock solid never gets squirrely had it up to 135+ mph if anything it needs an anti-stabilizer to help it be a little less stable to turn better bike runs like it's on rails -
Agreed. Was just asking and said it was interesting concept. I've only ridden the street rod which I got yesterday for 10 miles and it IS rock solid.

·
Premium Member
1,614 Posts
blueknight99 - Hey welcome to the R club - you'll love the bike ! But as you get used to it a word of caution - don't do what I did when new to the bike I went thru a long S turn at close to 80 Mph the initial turn to the right was great but straightening it up and trying to get it to lay over to the left was very high effort and I almost went off the road. The long wheelbase, high center of gravity, overly tight in compression front forks and too little pre-load on the rear shocks can make the bike very difficult to steer at higher speeds. Since then I've adjusted what I could and recently moved the axle all the way fwd. in the slot by installing a 30 tooth fwd. pulley with the stock belt so this difficulty in steering at speed tendency can be mitigated - just remember it's still a big, long, fairly heavy power cruiser with decent sporting tendencies so it can suck you into a difficult situation where you'll find it's got it's limitations - just respect that going in and you'll be fine - Have Fun it's one of H-D's best overall bikes ! (y);)

·
Registered
23 Posts
blueknight99 - Hey welcome to the R club - you'll love the bike ! But as you get used to it a word of caution - don't do what I did when new to the bike I went thru a long S turn at close to 80 Mph the initial turn to the right was great but straightening it up and trying to get it to lay over to the left was very high effort and I almost went off the road. The long wheelbase, high center of gravity, overly tight in compression front forks and too little pre-load on the rear shocks can make the bike very difficult to steer at higher speeds. Since then I've adjusted what I could and recently moved the axle all the way fwd. in the slot by installing a 30 tooth fwd. pulley with the stock belt so this difficulty in steering at speed tendency can be mitigated - just remember it's still a big, long, fairly heavy power cruiser with decent sporting tendencies so it can suck you into a difficult situation where you'll find it's got it's limitations - just respect that going in and you'll be fine - Have Fun it's one of H-D's best overall bikes ! (y);)
Thanks @streetrodracer . I full agree, I did notice that in my short ride, there are few curvy park roads behind my neighborhood, and I could tell, the bike even though very deceiving with its mid-set pegs....is a very powerful machine and still a "cruiser" at heart. It does not want to move from side to side in a hurry. Its almost like the V-Rod with just a hair shorter wheelbase and higher CG/seating position. It can and will fool you in going faster and riding harder than its limits. The suspension yes, it did notice, the tight front compression and almost nil pre-load on the rear.

I will look at studying the modifications you did to yours and might need some advise later to do the same to mine. For now, just looking to make it in a rideable condition.

The changes I am looking to do for now are:

• Get Oberon Clutch Slave cylinder
  • Oberon clutch and brake levers
  • Change the clutch and brake oils
  • And check brake condition.
Also, one question, if you can help me with please? Does the 2006 Street Rod VRSCR have a hydraulic clutch?

And can we install a slipper clutch here? If yes, how difficult or different it is from a regular 2006-07 V-Rod as far as parts compatibility and mechanics go?

Thanks much for the already great info!

·
Asatruar
2,949 Posts
Thanks @streetrodracer . I full agree, I did notice that in my short ride, there are few curvy park roads behind my neighborhood, and I could tell, the bike even though very deceiving with its mid-set pegs....is a very powerful machine and still a "cruiser" at heart. It does not want to move from side to side in a hurry. Its almost like the V-Rod with just a hair shorter wheelbase and higher CG/seating position. It can and will fool you in going faster and riding harder than its limits. The suspension yes, it did notice, the tight front compression and almost nil pre-load on the rear.

I will look at studying the modifications you did to yours and might need some advise later to do the same to mine. For now, just looking to make it in a rideable condition.

The changes I am looking to do for now are:

• Get Oberon Clutch Slave cylinder
  • Oberon clutch and brake levers
  • Change the clutch and brake oils
  • And check brake condition.
Also, one question, if you can help me with please? Does the 2006 Street Rod VRSCR have a hydraulic clutch?

And can we install a slipper clutch here? If yes, how difficult or different it is from a regular 2006-07 V-Rod as far as parts compatibility and mechanics go?

Thanks much for the already great info!
Haven't posted in awhile,(been in hospital with more to come.) so I'll jump in and comment here:

Does the 2006 Street Rod VRSCR have a hydraulic clutch?

Yes, to both of those questions and installation is no wore than stock with claims of easier lever operation.

FWIW, I still am using the OEM set-up.

·
Asatruar
2,949 Posts
Haven't posted in awhile,(been in hospital with more to come.) so I'll jump in and comment here:

Yes, to both of those questions and installation is no wore than stock with claims of easier lever operation.

Should read "no worse than" .

·
Registered
23 Posts

Got it. Thanks H-D Heathen. Just trying to find a slipper clutch for the VRSCR 2006. Please hurl any references my way if any come your way.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Got it. Thanks H-D Heathen. Just trying to find a slipper clutch for the VRSCR 2006. Please hurl any references my way if any come your way.
Actually found one and just ordered from HD. Will see once my Oberon clutch slave cylinder and the lever come in. Combined it should make it a smoother experience hopefully.

121 - 134 of 134 Posts