Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Took a horrible photo with my cell phone.

Ok. After tonights ride i discovered some water on top of the clutch cover of the engine.From what i can see it comes from between the engine block and the waterpump house,just by the small "hole" there-not between the waterpump house and the chrome outer cover.
What will cure this? Can it be fixed with simply tighten the waterhouse bolts a bit,or does this mean that i have to take of the water pump and replace both gaskets?
Btw-what is that small "hole" there between the engine block and the water pump housing?

Please excuse my crap technical English here since i'm from Norway.
Any help will be appreciated.

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
i have replaced water pump gaskets and water pipe orings and thermostat gaskets. water pump gaskets were about 21 dollars. dont for get the orings that go on shaft housing that seperate water and oil. thermostat gasket and water pipe orings , there are 4 orings, were 12 to 14 dollars . orings were 2 dollars a piece. my seal wasnt leaking . but when i pulled pump off there was white crusty corrosion inside cavity on engine block. and the way the cavity is designed, it would take a lot of water, coolant leaking to get out of the little hole that is cast in to block. mine had crusty corrosion on top of water pump , just left of hose. i have pictures in my gallery and a post, dont know how to link it here. was not hard to change. did have to pull rear cylinder header pipe.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Hmmm. What is strange is that it seems that the water came out when the bike stood still on the jiffy stand and not while riding.Could it be that the small hole there are ment to drain water that creates by condensation inside of the waterpump house?

·
Autobanmod
9,958 Posts
The small hole is a drain and prevents the coolant from entering the engine in case of a shaft seal failure.
Doesn't matter if engine is running or not, a damaged seal is a damaged seal.
No big deal, the pump doesn't cost too much and is easy to replace.

·
Life is great!
783 Posts
This happened to me a couple months ago. What happens is the coolant stops circulating after the engine is shut off and can't cool and runs out the weep hole on the water pump. My pump was full of corrosion and wasn't working properly (I was glad I went with the pump replacement vs gaskets/O-rings).

·
Registered
88 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok thanks guys.I'll think i go for taking out the pump and inspect and clean it and change the coolant and the gaskets.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.