Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK ... the stock exhaust is way too quiet and I love the look of the CFR Exhaust, but while I like loud, this pipe is a whole new level of loud ...

Is there anything that can be done to quiet a pipe somewhat. I don't want to cut the sound off completely (I still want the growl), but this CFR is obnoxious ...

I don't have my bike yet, but a friend of one of my clients just installed his CFR on his 07 and I am not sure that I could put up with the noise (nor will my overly conservative neighbours when I leave the house at 7AM)

Should I just look elsewhere when I change the pipe out or is there something that can be done?

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
PM "Nightmare"...she has some sort of CONE in hers and likes it....

or you could go with something quieter....maybe Tabs with baffles?

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Tabs are my second choice only because of the baffles ... I prefer the look of the CFR, but the noise might push me toward the Tabs (which look nice, but not as good as the CFR)

·
Premium Member
4,061 Posts
mdc said:
Tabs are my second choice only because of the baffles ... I prefer the look of the CFR, but the noise might push me toward the Tabs (which look nice, but not as good as the CFR)

if you like that look....id check out the rinehart 2-1...its slightly quieter(not much) and similar look...a touch longer too...

CFR is real short and will always leave you ear ringing....and it hangs too low for me,it will scrape alot,as noted by many members....

Dan

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #8

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,389 Posts
mdc said:
Any idea on the effect on power? Any loses due to this or is it based on tuning?
Any loss of power would be very minimal and you would not be able to feel it by the seat of your pants. :D

·
Registered
49 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
CaptClose said:
You can get used to obnoxious... after awhile you start to go deaf and it ain't that bad.
I agree ... it's not me that really cares.

I have a loud bike now that I am selling in the spring, but my neighbours break my balls to the point of where it is annoying. Granted, I do leave for work at 6:30-7AM in the morning and I suppose it can get annoying. I don't care about most of them, but my wife is tired of getting those looks when she takes my daughter for a walk :blahblah:

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,389 Posts
mdc said:
I have a loud bike now that I am selling in the spring, but my neighbours break my balls to the point of where it is annoying. Granted, I do leave for work at 6:30-7AM in the morning and I suppose it can get annoying. I don't care about most of them, but my wife is tired of getting those looks when she takes my daughter for a walk :blahblah:
I know the feeling sort of. I leave at 5am every morning with my V modded pipes and tho I only idle down the road for a block, my neighbours still thank me for being there alarm clock for 5:15 am :spank: They actually make good fun of it, but I still feel bad for waking some of them :angelwin:

·
Registered
634 Posts
I have the CFR on my NR and love it. However, I had the same concerns when I first started running it. Ended up with the cone in the end from summit racing AND the Big City Thunder baffles and now it is perfect. Very nice deep growl and not obnoxious at all. In fact I was riding yesterday and thinking to myself how much nicer it sounded after the BCT baffles just from the ride standpoint.

I also reversed my rear mount so the pipe is tucked in right under my footpeg and have not scraped it since doing this. I have not leaned the bike over far enough to scrape pegs either, but pipe is tucked in nice and high. Here is a pic that shows the pipe in reference to frame and peg:

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
I've got what Glenn has...the Vortex cone and the Thunder Monsters. Sounds AWESOME! You can actually have a conversation standing next to the bike at idle (ok, you have to speak up a little) but she sure does growl at speed.

·
Movin' on....
5,297 Posts
Anyone have an audio of the pipes they could put up????

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts

·
insane vrod posse...
2,018 Posts
Thanks

Hello sports fans.....please post the part numbas for the cone and baffle....thanks.. :D

never mind...i got them from the guys/gals above...... :rofl:

·
Part-time mod
10,859 Posts
But for those who don't know, it's p/n 2004 from Big City Thunder (Thunder Monster Baffles) and the 3" Dynatech Vortex cone from either Jeg's or Summit Racing.

·
Registered
102 Posts
golfinglenn said:
I have the CFR on my NR and love it. However, I had the same concerns when I first started running it. Ended up with the cone in the end from summit racing AND the Big City Thunder baffles and now it is perfect.
Thanks for all the input. Your bike looks great. I like the way the rear wheel shows up as well as the chrome swingarm. Your picture and Max's wav files pretty much convinced me to go with the CFR.

However, yesterday I stopped by the H-D dealer in Lacey, Wa and got pretty discouraged. He showed me a CFR in a box that he took off a bike because it was too loud and performed poorly. Then he printed out a dyno sheet that showed a huge dip in torque between 3600 and 5000 rpms which he said was due to lack of back pressure. He basicly said the CFR was untunable, don't buy it! I told him that was strange since everything I had read about the CFR says that the low to mid range torque was increased.

I went home and started reading everything I could find on the CFR. It sounds like you have the exact configuration I wanted and have apparently addressed all the problems including the dragging.

Some questions for you: Did the baffles fix the low end torque drop (if there really was one)? What map are you using for your PCIII with the baffles and cone? Have you had it Dyno'd? How does it perform? Have you checked your mileage?

I noticed in my reading that you bought your bike in Spokane, Wa. That's where I grew up. Sounds like you got a great deal. That CFR really looks good.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts