Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

21 - 40 of 110 Posts

·
FireBum
485 Posts
I've used Sea Foam alot in all kinds of things including my bike. I don't know if it helps all the thing they claim, but its never hurt anything. All auto parts stores carry it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Got the Sea Foam today at WalMart

I am going to try it out this weekend and see if that fuel gauge starts working. I will update the thread on my results for future readers of this thread.

smerks

·
Registered
51 Posts
Is this the actual problem? Did it work? It just seems weird that if the sender contacts ere not connecting properly than the gauge would not read at all.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Seafoam

Unfortunately we have a bit of snow where I am in Utah. I did put the SeaFoam in as recommended and have burned through 2/3 of the tank and it has not solved the problem. I may have to drive it to empty to see a change. I will update though...

SMERKS

·
self-banned
4,786 Posts
Is this the actual problem? Did it work? It just seems weird that if the sender contacts ere not connecting properly than the gauge would not read at all.
unfortunatly he has past, i don't know of anyone else who has tried this.

it chokes me up everytime i see that wolf

·
Registered
76 Posts
I tried Seafoam in my 02 today on a poker run. It didnt fix the problem, but it did seem to help a little. Gonna try another tank and see if it helps.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
I have used both Sea Foam and Marvel mystery oil. IMHO the marvel mystery oil worked better on the fuel level sensor than the sea foam did.

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
You used Marvel Mystery Oil on your bike & it didn't mess up the sensors etc? Years ago my buddy put that in his 1988 Camaro 305 V-8 & afterwards it never ran right again... He eventually sold the car... so frustrating.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
there are no sensors to mess up using Marvel mystery oil in the bike

·
1130cc is enuff 4 me
2,426 Posts
Hey Hal64HD:

What is a "30 Tooth HDI Sprocket"?

Did you lower your rpm's in 5th gear by switching your sprocket?

·
Mater Distiller
1,440 Posts
Hey Hal64HD:

What is a "30 Tooth HDI Sprocket"?

Did you lower your rpm's in 5th gear by switching your sprocket?
30 tooth Harley Davidson International drive pulley. US bikes come stock with a 28 tooth drive pulley

·
Registered
1 Posts
I actually have an 07 CD that is doing this. Except it has a miond of its own at times. Once time going down the road I actually watched the fuel gauge go back up to full. (never knew you could make gas go into your tank while going down the road) Mine will stick... then un stick... I use to work in Auto Parts over 10 years ago and I can remember when we first got Seafoam in. It was new to the area. Someone put their Oil Solution in and it hand grenaded the 454 ( guess it cleaned it out too good ) So I know the stuff cleans real well (bad thing was I was the one that sold the can... and sold it to the family farm so i was stuck between a rock and a hard place on this one.... blame was going back and forth... but anyhow) They make a good product. I know my bike seems to be doing the same as the Pre 07's....Guess I will try it and we will see.

·
Premium Member
11,245 Posts
Just came up with another problem with my resistor strip, namely a dead spot. About 80% into a tank of gas my gauge drops to zilch then 10 miles or so comes back alive. Metering out the strip I found a dead spot about 2 inches from the end of the strip. No conductivity whatsoever. Won't take solder either. Don't know what to do about it. New one costs $200.

·
Premium Member
587 Posts
I wonder if this is a high humidity issue. My '06 fuel sender works flawlessly and so does the same technology one in my '95 GPZ1100. Guess I'm happy to live in relative low humidity Colorado....

John

·
Registered
334 Posts
Fuel gauge sender problem fixed!!

Tried this "possible fix for the faulty fuel gauge" 2 days ago on my bike that has read empty after I fill the tank up then goes to full slowly after about 15 miles. It worked and now the gauge works as it should. Thanks Steppenwolf!

·
enigmas
339 Posts
Since my bike was badly burned in a fire I 've had the opportunity (if you can call it that) to extensively dismantle and rebuild it...still in the process. Fortunately I purchased a Rick's tank sometime back and didn't install it at the time.

I've since fitted it and another complete fuel pump assembly. Before fitting this 'new' (second hand) unit I thought i would check the float to see if it was working properly 'electrically'.

Checking out both strips on either side of the fuel strip you'll find that one is plain and the other side a resistance strip. Both appeared to have a residue or light film coating over them probably from continuous fuel immersion? I cleaned both strips with a mild abrasive paper. I then got my multimeter and set it to the ohms scale. Placing a probe on either side of the fuel strips at the top most point I then slid the fuel guage sender float up and down the strip and noted changes in the resistance value from the top (least resistance) to the bottom (highest resistance). The fuel guage reads the resistance values not fuel.

I think removing the plastic base plate and soldering the contacts is a good idea. From the pixs posted initially it looks as though the pins are removed at the top plate and the base plate pulled down.

The epoxy worries me a bit as current fuels seem to dissolve most adhesives I'm aware of, especially if continually immersed.

At this time I don'r need to add another task to my rebuild list.

Is there a better method of securing the plate?

·
Friend of Max.
21,715 Posts
Thanks Steppenwolf!
You'll have to forgive him when he doesn't reply. Our friend Steppenwolf has been gone a bit more than a year now. RIP, my friend.:angelwin:

21 - 40 of 110 Posts