Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I had an oil leak, which I had originally thought was from one of my breather hoses (when putting the airbox back on, I didn’t get the rear breather hose on tight and I did spew oil.) Upon closer inspection I found this. Is this normal? Is this where my constant oil leak is coming from? Ever since fixing my fuel issue, I haven’t experienced any issue with performance, only thing is the slight oil leak and overall heat. If an issue, is it fixable? Can I add some type of rubberized adhesive or a type of weld to keep integrity? Or is this just some type of gasket/bond that came off and it’s nothing to worry about. I did pressure wash my bike this week, only the engine area, and on the medium PSI setting. Idk if that could have caused it, but probably most likely. Pictures attached
Automotive tire Motor vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive exhaust Bumper

Shoe Leg Motor vehicle Automotive tire Black

·
VRSC est -03
3,410 Posts
Agree. 99,.. % chance that it is the breather tube and/or the hose issue. A small mirror and a flashlight are handy tools for troubleshooting. Just be careful and cautious when mounting.

Reactions: JJrod

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
It may be residual oil when I bought my R the dealer had installed a new battery for the seller and missed the front breather slip fit into the airbox and it did create a big mess that took a couple cleanings to totally get rid of. Remember a pressure washer has no reason to be around a street bike - maybe on lowest setting for a muddy dirt bike but all they do is get water in where it shouldn't be causing rust, corrosion, finish degradation and wiring issues. Wash with S100 or muck off and a garden hose on mist or low using a tooth brush, spoke brush, rags, sponge etc. and rinse areas as they're cleaned - do yourself a favor - whatever time is saved with a pressure washer is multiplied 10X over and then spent fixing issues down the road -(y):cool:

·
-MIG
Delilah, my '16 Muscle & Fiona, my '14 Triumph Rocket III Touring
154 Posts
Agree. 99,.. % chance that it is the breather tube and/or the hose issue. A small mirror and a flashlight are handy tools for troubleshooting. Just be careful and cautious when mounting.
I've seen this happen when the oil has been overfilled as well.

Also agree with @streetrodracer , pressure washers can get water in places you don't want to the direction of the water flow (unlike a downpour rain).
-MIG

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
As I said, I did have an oil leak from not tightening my rear breather hose. I tried cleaning it all up, but I’m still having some slight leakage. I replaced the rear breather hose recently, but that’s tight on there. My question revolves around the missing pieces seen in the pictures

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
I just looked at my 1250 cases that gasket area is quite wide in that area. You need a mirror & flashlight as Knut mentioned to inspect how much gasket material may be missing. If it were fully missing you would have a continuous flow of oil coming out of there believe me - you don't so I wouldn't worry about it - pressure washer may have cut a chunk off it and/or the case may stick out farther than the head as well. Inspect carefully, monitor it, fly it and watch it - (y):cool:

·
Registered
1,176 Posts
Looks to me like the gasket is giving up the ghost, maybe check the tourgue on your jugs
How are you going to check the torque on a torque angle Head bolt? And those are Heads not jugs, the jugs are Liners that are inside the block.

Reactions: streetrodracer

·
Premium Member
2,918 Posts
Yup, agreed Knut J - as I said case may stick out more than the head, creating an illusion of a void. Only way to know is a very careful inspection of the area to determine depth of any said visual void. Inspect it, fly it and watch it. Now if oil is pumping outta there ? - right - shut it down and pull the head & replace the gasket. I seriously doubt if that's necessary though - most likely residual oil from prior airbox breather tube leak (y):cool:

·
Registered
6 Posts
How are you going to check the torque on a torque angle Head bolt? And those are Heads not jugs, the jugs are Liners that are inside the block.
Oh well forgive me then, i would suppose at that point you would verrify said torque angle. Not haveing pulled one of these engines apart, i went with what my first thought was.. i am used to the old block jug head configuration. I guess i will have ti edycate myself further before bringing my thoughts into the forum!

·
The Massive Pr1ck
2,672 Posts
Replace both breathers. They get old, hard, and leak. The rear will crack and leak the front will just leak. My recommended interval is every other battery or when they leak, whichever is sooner.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts