Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Pull up a chair and read away.

When you're done reading the 415 posts on this thread alone, head on up to the search button and just type in Sprintex and then make your own decision after reading what Sprintex owners have posted in other threads.

Be forewarned and don't shoot the messenger here, not a lot of it is good news.

http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102755&highlight=sprintex

yea, I read through this already.. There were definatly issues with the kit when v&h had the kit.. I have spoken to nigel from patrick racing, just like others have, and honestly he stands behind this unit 100% The electronics are all different to the ones v&h offered,there capabilitys are pretty cool, and the bearing issue so far seems to be cured. The unit was also redesigned with better tolerances so he says.. Im intrigued with this kit because of its stealthness.. I love the power and reliability of the trask and rotrex kits, I just hate the look... I am kinda up in the air????......

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
yea, I read through this already.. There were definatly issues with the kit when v&h had the kit.. I have spoken to nigel from patrick racing, just like others have, and honestly he stands behind this unit 100% The electronics are all different to the ones v&h offered,there capabilitys are pretty cool, and the bearing issue so far seems to be cured. The unit was also redesigned with better tolerances so he says.. Im intrigued with this kit because of its stealthness.. I love the power and reliability of the trask and rotrex kits, I just hate the look... I am kinda up in the air????......
Just out of curiousity why don't you just go a little bigger with a BB and forego the S/C?

You can still get S/C like numbers and still have a very reliable motor when you're done.

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
There's a reason you dont see many of the Sprintex SC around here... :deal:

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
There's a reason you dont see many of the Sprintex SC around here... :deal:
just like there are bad stories, there good... Ofcourse we only tend to remember the bad ones.. Honestly, after patrick racing took over the kit how many issues have there been?? In this forum i have seen 2 or 3 bad stories when the kit was with v&h, and I have also seen 2 or 3 good stories sinc nigel has taken over the kit..

·
REVOLUTION !!!
21,412 Posts
just like there are bad stories, there good... Ofcourse we only tend to remember the bad ones.. Honestly, after patrick racing took over the kit how many issues have there been?? In this forum i have seen 2 or 3 bad stories when the kit was with v&h, and I have also seen 2 or 3 good stories sinc nigel has taken over the kit..
agreed ... Just dont see any on this forum and not sure what the reason for that.

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
just like there are bad stories, there good... Ofcourse we only tend to remember the bad ones.. Honestly, after Patrick Racing took over the kit how many issues have there been?? In this forum I have seen 2 or 3 bad stories when the kit was with v&h, and I have also seen 2 or 3 good stories since Nigel has taken over the kit..
If it was me, and this is just me, I'd be asking Nigel for some recent customer references and you might want to ask to look at dyno numbers as well.

If you have the motor out and plan on going the BB route anyway why would you do both?

·
Elephant Motors Rock
3,505 Posts
If it was me, and this is just me, I'd be asking Nigel for some recent customer references and you might want to ask to look at dyno numbers as well.

If you have the motor out and plan on going the BB route anyway why would you do both?
:them: I agree doing both might be a maximum cost option. Once you've torn into the motor let it be all it can be :D

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·

yea, one of my questions was the claimed numbers he is saying that the kit will produce. He responded by saying that the bikes that have dynoed with low numbers have had other issues not concerning the actual kit. As for why I would do both, I just figure to maximize the blower, and its never been done... Its like when guys build a turbo motor? They wanna make more power.. With the blower the boost is goona stay the same, if i give it more bore/stroke I'm not a engine builder but I would assume it would give me more bottom end, and a stronger pull..

·
AIM Bagger Edition
7,798 Posts
yea, one of my questions was the claimed numbers he is saying that the kit will produce. He responded by saying that the bikes that have dynoed with low numbers have had other issues not concerning the actual kit. As for why I would do both, I just figure to maximize the blower, and its never been done... Its like when guys build a turbo motor? They wanna make more power.. With the blower the boost is goona stay the same, if i give it more bore/stroke I'm not a engine builder but I would assume it would give me more bottom end, and a stronger pull..
I do have some turbo bikes but I also get some very good bottom end and pull from my BB motors that run just motor and no power adder. One is a 1320 built by Tilley's in NC, this thing is bad fast. The other is my 1430 Bagger built by V&H that just rips. Both will straighten your arms out right now.

I currently have a stroked, 1487 being built at Hal's that I plan on running on the motor only and can't wait to see how it performs, if and when I get it back.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I do have some turbo bikes but I also get some very good bottom end and pull from my BB motors that run just motor and no power adder. One is a 1320 built by Tilley's in NC, this thing is bad fast. The other is my 1430 Bagger built by V&H that just rips. Both will straighten your arms out right now.

I currently have a stroked, 1487 being built at Hal's that I plan on running on the motor only and can't wait to see how it performs, if and when I get it back.
let me tell you that this decision has been a tough one.. I like the trask kit and how reliable it is.. I just dont like the look 100% I also like the tts kit but again I def do not like the look of that kit! If i go big bore it would be a 1402, I'm just afriaid that the bigbore will not give me what I want.. I'm running a 300 kit so I need that grunt, I'm not looking to go 150 mph I just want this thing to pull like a frieght train! I spoke to nigel again at sprintex, and he assured me that since his takeover and the revision on the kit he has had no issues with the kit!

·
VROD JUNKIE
1,390 Posts
Cool buy it and tell me how it goes, as I am going through this very dilemma myself... Which one to buy... hmmmmm

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
I would not suggest a 1302 with a non-intercooled forced-induction setup as the odds of cooking the top end of the motor would be pretty high.

A typical 1300 build involves the destroyer crank, stock rods, and the CP pistons with the wrist pin moved up. This results in higher compression than stock, and runs hotter than stock under load, or in hot weather. Combine this with the added heat and pressure of a non-intercooled supercharger, and you're looking at a recipe for engine damage in short order.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look toward doing a well-built 1402 setup. Unless you already have the 1300 motor, you should be able to make it to 1402 for less than a 1300 build plus the supercharger.

·
Registered
132 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I would not suggest a 1302 with a non-intercooled forced-induction setup as the odds of cooking the top end of the motor would be pretty high.

A typical 1300 build involves the destroyer crank, stock rods, and the CP pistons with the wrist pin moved up. This results in higher compression than stock, and runs hotter than stock under load, or in hot weather. Combine this with the added heat and pressure of a non-intercooled supercharger, and you're looking at a recipe for engine damage in short order.

If I were in your shoes, I'd look toward doing a well-built 1402 setup. Unless you already have the 1300 motor, you should be able to make it to 1402 for less than a 1300 build plus the supercharger.
well I would assume that since this is going to be forced induction that I would have options in what comp ratio with the pistons?? As for the non-intercooled issue, I was pretty impressed on how the tunning unit this kit uses works. Its completely different from what v&h used, the unit has an extra injector and when the bike starts to get hot the ecu will in a sense protect the bike by adding fuel and it pulls timing... So the unit compensates for no cooling by the extra injector that comes on when overheating is sensed.. As for the 1402, I am just hesistant to spend that cash and in the end not be happy with the end product.. Evryone that I have seen that has a 1402 is happy with it, but what makes them happy may not make me happy in the end.. I have no clue what to do!!!!!

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,946 Posts
well I would assume that since this is going to be forced induction that I would have options in what comp ratio with the pistons?? As for the non-intercooled issue, I was pretty impressed on how the tunning unit this kit uses works. Its completely different from what v&h used, the unit has an extra injector and when the bike starts to get hot the ecu will in a sense protect the bike by adding fuel and it pulls timing... So the unit compensates for no cooling by the extra injector that comes on when overheating is sensed.. As for the 1402, I am just hesistant to spend that cash and in the end not be happy with the end product.. Evryone that I have seen that has a 1402 is happy with it, but what makes them happy may not make me happy in the end.. I have no clue what to do!!!!!
Then slow down and do nothing. Wait it out...This riding season go to some v rod events and see if you can ride other v rods with the option you are looking at. In the mean time continue to save your money for better upgrades. This way when you decide you will have enough money and will be able to get what you want to be happy.

·
Insane inda membrane
13,005 Posts
Go Trask... most bang for the buck...
Go Spintex.... when it goes BANG it costs you bucks.... :hidesbeh:

·
'04 1300
3,071 Posts
Evryone that I have seen that has a 1402 is happy with it, but what makes them happy may not make me happy in the end.. I have no clue what to do!!!!!
Take Rod's advice and do nothing for a few months. Go to some events, meet people, get a feel for what's out there. You'd spend a LOT of money on a 1300 bike with the Sprintex unit (I'd guess in 8k-10k range unless you build your own motor). That's a lot of coin to drop on something that has a fair chance of coming apart in short order.

1 - 20 of 51 Posts