Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
hello, I would like small help

whether the position lamp in the main beam is permanently lit even though the HI / LO beam is on?

I wonder because I do not know how the US rule is.

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
hello, I would like small help

whether the position lamp in the main beam is permanently lit even though the HI / LO beam is on?

I wonder because I do not know how the US rule is.
There's no US rule for use of the position lamp.

The position lamp is only found on European bikes. It's powered by the ACCY = accessory circuit (orange with white stripe wire) so it's on if the ignition switch is in either the IGN or ACC positions.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
thank you,

I'm installing a led laight so I have to install a low beam switch
In the version of the LED I can not simultaneously illuminate the low or hi beam with the halo ring. I have to turn off the LOW beam.
In fact, it is the protection of other drivers for two reasons:
the night the halo ring too bright and blinds other drivers, and the other reason is that the cut-off LO beam is very good and the motorcycle is not visible in the daylight.
the problem is that the VRSCF can not turn off the HI / LO beam.
I made a programmable switch to solve it but I did not know if the US position bulb always ON ...

(Powered by frubar.net)

·
Super Moderator
6,248 Posts
thank you,

I'm installing a led laight so I have to install a low beam switch
In the version of the LED I can not simultaneously illuminate the low or hi beam with the halo ring. I have to turn off the LOW beam.
In fact, it is the protection of other drivers for two reasons:
the night the halo ring too bright and blinds other drivers, and the other reason is that the cut-off LO beam is very good and the motorcycle is not visible in the daylight.
the problem is that the VRSCF can not turn off the HI / LO beam.
I made a programmable switch to solve it but I did not know if the US position bulb always ON ...
As I mentioned, US bikes don't have a position light (also called a "city light").

There are US laws concerning the low and high beam on bikes. Here the low beam must always be on whenever the ignition is on. The high beam is only allowed when there's no traffic in either direction within range of the high beam light pattern.

From what you describe, that low beam LED would not meet DOT (Department of Transportation) requirements here. A properly aimed US low beam needs to be visible to oncoming traffic (day or night) but aimed down and to the right so it doesn't blind someone.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
1 - 6 of 6 Posts