Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

101 - 117 of 117 Posts

·
Registered
577 Posts
I had a thread about water/meth injection in another header. Has anyone built a system ? By injecting pre-compressor it seems we could lower intake air temps to increase charge density and increase anti knock potential from the mixture.
For a street application you are better off with an efficient air-air intercooler (or possibly air-water...but we are already constrained for space on a bike).

Meth or water injection works...but A. Is limited to the amount of meth or water on board of course B. Meth is VERY corrosive. I would only use this on a bike/car that you purge the tank and lines after using.

FYI...water injection has been used in airplanes since I believe WW2. Cool history.

·
Registered
577 Posts
Freudie, We're talking chicken vs the egg, I know. I'd use the algorithm if it was available, but its not. So either option requires a work around, right ? If I data log detonation, I still have to accurately figure out the cause to correct it. The link gives some great cause/effect explanations. Please keep posting & making recommendations, the dialog is great.
Hah! You are opening Pandora's Box again so to speak.

I've made it very clear I don't recommend using anything except the oem Delphi controller for these bikes. No one has yet to make a convincing argument that the aftermarket (other than perhaps an all out race application) make sense for these bikes. You lose way too much functionality (ion-sensing being one of them). And once again...YES you can run boost and have timing/fueling changes based on MAP sensor readings with the Delphi unit. I know some members want to argue/disagree with me endlessly on that....so be it.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #103
Freudie,, Post some screen shots & instructions on how to link & change the tables. What are some of the other functions ? Thanks

·
Registered
484 Posts
Post from Karzza 9 years ago

I have been using 2bar Delphi MAP (16235939) with SERT, and calculated downscaling
by using Delphis V output formulas.

SERT -> Real pressure
10kPa -> 7kPa
20kPa -> 28kPa
30kPa -> 50kPa
40kPa -> 71kPa
50kPa -> 92kPa
60kPa -> 113kPa
70kPa -> 134kPa
80kPa -> 156kPa
90kPa -> 177kPa
100kPa -> 198kPa

Downscaling means, what you have currently defined for example 90kPa you have to move value to 50Kpa position or fr 30Kpa to 20kPa.
From 60kPa up you have to invent figures by yourself.

https://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=144557&highlight=boosted+using+stock+ecm

But in the long run he went with the VRFI and never regretted it.

Karzza and Jan-Dirk are the kings of the Boosted V-Rod. Along with a lot of blown engines that were sacrificed for development and always looking to improving it. Along with the wealth of information that they are willing to share with the forum.:plause:

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #105
Here is a reply from Ferrea on a Q&A from EngineLabs blog;
errea Racing Components manufactures a wide range of hardcore performance valvetrain components and has been involved in an immensely broad spectrum of the automotive industry. With experience ranging from the OEM side, to the top levels of motorsports such as Formula 1, along with everything — and we do mean everything — in between. If an engine uses poppet valves, chances are Ferrea, and by extension, its marketing director Zeke Urrutia, have had their hands on it.

Here, Urrutia answers ten of the questions you submitted, on subjects ranging from valve material, size, and length, to valvespring loads and RPM limits.
In a turbocharged DOHC application, would oversize valves be a cost effective enhancement? How would I determine how large to go with the valve sizes? – Doug Cutler

This is a good question. This used to be a very common situation about 10-to-12 years ago. Oversized valves used to be a thing where you had no choice but to go with oversize valves, because the turbochargers weren’t as efficient as they are today.

Because the efficiency wasn’t there, what you would mainly look at in this situation was the efficiency of the cylinder head, and trying to get every last bit of flow out of it. Today, that has completely changed. Now we have great turbochargers along with fantastic technology and data which allows you to have full control of the system.

With all of that great technology, it has allowed us to get back to standard-sized valves, because the efficiency is so great. Now, standard-sized valves do the job, and the trend has been (especially on multi-valve cylinder heads) to use a standard-sized valve in a turbocharged application.

Even looking at two-valve heads, the valves really aren’t getting any larger. Some applications are trying to push the intake charge a little faster on the intake side. So they have been playing with intake valve sizing a little, but through it all, the exhaust valve sizing is staying the same.

·
Registered
577 Posts
TTS is a flash tuner, not piggy back.
Ron
Ron is correct, TTS Mastertune is the evolution of the SERT (both flash tuning products that modify the calibration parameters within the Delphi OEM ECU).

My personal favorite for that route is the PowerVision unit with the TargetTune module (wide band read outs on the handle bar with full time closed loop is an excellent thing to have when you get deep into tuning).

FYI: Forget that terrible "vendor" like a bad habit. He's a miserable guy and spouts garbage as gospel. I imagine a crochety 70 year old in a garage with dust around him cussing all day. I know a local engine builder near me who is identical in behavior. His shop looks like a dust covered museum of the 60's as well. Good times.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #112
Here is a video from Brocks Performance about carbon fiber wheels. I have these & they are great. Hope you like it;

·
Registered
577 Posts
Reducing unsprung weight is always a good thing for control and how the forks/shocks function over bumps. I can't afford those however.
Ron
Those are worse than the carbon fiber rims price on my race....BICYCLE (haha...yes we have similar tech on human powered rides).

For $4500 I can think of ways to get more tangible power results.

·
Registered
1,943 Posts
Discussion Starter #117
Tech Talk Tuesday- George Bryce

George does a free 30 minute class on performance ? racing / Harleys every Tuesday night. Go to Star Power Racing on Facebook to get info. He also posts them on Youtube, here was what I believe was the first one.
He'll also take questions if you send them in. A must see in my opinion. Thanks George !

101 - 117 of 117 Posts