Status
Not open for further replies.
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey Everyone,

I’ve got some really cool and exciting news about a new feature for Portable Dashboard (PDash). Bob and I have been working non-stop on a new feature for portable dashboard that we think you will love:

Custom Skins

After many months of design, development and testing we are finally getting close to officially launching this new feature for the Nokia and Android platforms.

The custom skins provide much more stylish, cool, and customized gauge faces than the default gauge interface provided with PDash (not that it isn’t pretty cool all on it’s own). The custom skins will be optional skins that can be purchased individually or as a gauge packages (for a family of gauges, or custom packs etc.) to further enhance your electronic dashboard and offer further customization and style to your ride. The custom skins offer increased visibility, style, and are way cooler and cleaner. All of this additional coolness without compromising the existing features offered by PDash.

We still have some final development and testing left before we can launch the new skins but we wanted to post a couple pictures, and a video (coming soon) so you can see one or two of the new skins that will be available when we launch (in many color options). I hope that you are all as excited about this as Bob and I are. We think this is a huge improvement to the already feature packed Portable Dashboard that will further solidify PDash as the ultimate electronic dashboard for your Harley Davidson motorcycle.

We are doing everything we can to get this functionality released as soon as possible but we still have some testing and development to complete so please be patient. We are definitely working and planning to have this stuff ready for you to roll out this spring in style.

Attached is a picture of one of the Classic Gauge skins and one of the Future skins.

Hope you like it as much as we do. Stay tuned for more details and info.

Geoff

Attachments

·
Registered
53 Posts
These look pretty cool! My P-dash is working great and the newer skins look like they will provide extra visibility and just personal preference in the layout. I will be ready when they become available.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Like what? Why would I want the dash of my car or motorcycle on my phone,or my computer.Wouldn't it be easier just to look at the dash?

·
Registered
178 Posts
Like what? Why would I want the dash of my car or motorcycle on my phone,or my computer.Wouldn't it be easier just to look at the dash?
You're right. If the only info you care to see is what the stock gauges provide then you're all set. However, if you would like to have other information like what gear you're in, what the engine temperature is, when your fans have kicked in, what the current battery voltage is, etc. PDash provdes that.

Also, you get extra stuff like air temp, heading, altitude, an accurate fuel gauge, (I count injector pulses as opposed to reading the sending unit) Distance until empty, Average Fuel Economy, Instantaneous fuel use, shift lights, Race Shifter, Service Reminder, etc.

As well as provide the ability to read and clear trouble codes with a trouble code database in human readable form. You can record your ride data and then map your ride route via Google Maps with a single button press, a Drag simulator, and more.

Adding the new feature of Custom Skins simply allow people to have a look that they like and the ability to personalize their gauges. I see lots of theads about getting custom gauge faceplates done. This is similar to that except infinitely more customizable.

Another cool thing is that the device is wireless, so it can be mounted anywhere.

There is a complete list on the website if you're interested. http://www.portabledashboard.com/index_features.htm

-Bob

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
If you say this is good,I'll believe you,but I know if I was to start scrolling around on a screen mounted anywhere I wanted it on a motorcycle I would probably not be riding very well at all.Especially a small one like on a phone.I'm one of them kinda people that runs off the side of the road while dialing a phone sitting behind the wheel in my truck.
Now,if I could have a screen that interfaced wireless with the 3 controllers on my v-rods and it gave me live data for diagnostics and or tuning,along with freeze frame,pending codes,snap shots and it didn't cost a fortune,I would be interested in this.

Other than the wireless interface,this is what I have with the Snap-On scanner I use for U.S.domestic,Asian and European import automobiles from 1983 til 2008.

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #9 (Edited)
Hey Elrod,

Certainly you don't want to be scrolling around on any screen while you are riding. Definitely not the safest thing to do (on an electronic gauge, GPS, anything). The portable dashboard, however, doesn't require any scrolling while you are riding. It provides the same type of information as the standard cluster but with a bunch more (it will even switch from day to night mode automatically so you don't need to touch a thing). You also have the option to customize exactly what information you see so that you can be looking at more or less info - whatever works best for you. It's not for everyone but it does provide some additional useful info the stock cluster does not.

In regard to the other info you are interested in. See what Bob says. Pdash already logs ride information so you can completely "playback" your ride (it can also map your ride route and overlay it on google maps). The info you are looking for, if Bob has access to it, might also be traceable. I'm not going to speak for Bob on this but see what he says.

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Elrod-Are you playing dumb in an attempt to heighten awareness of a very fine product developed from grassroots 1130, or are you truly so narcissistic that you don't read any post that you didn't start?

Not a spanking, unless your motives are nefarious.

This product is a work in progress (at least a year since originally published) and is constantly under development, with input and suggestions from the users being applied as updates as fast as good suggestions are offered by people on this site can come up with ideas. This thread is just about a new "skin" for the P Dash!

And the basic idea was a YEAR OR MORE ahead of it's time!

The new concept (this weeks NEWS) is a laptop that HAS NO PROCESSOR, HAS NO MEMORY). (Forgot who's doing it) The laptop is nothing but a screen and a battery. Dock your PHONE to it for the processor and memory....... and it charges your phone to boot!

In the future your phone will be the dash on your bike (already here-PDash) your car, boat, airplane, the processor for your laptop,desktop, GPS, home appliance diagnostic, whatever............just plug it in and there you go!

Remember: The pocket calculator that you bought for $2 in line at Walmart has more computing power than the computer that allowed the Lunar Module to land on the moon in 1969, your iPhone has more computing power than all of NORAD in 1965.

Spend more time reading, less posting.........maybe not..........your posts are right on and worth reading, so read more and post just as much.

Love ya!

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Elrod-Are you playing dumb in an attempt to heighten awareness of a very fine product developed from grassroots 1130, or are you truly so narcissistic that you don't read any post that you didn't start?

Not a spanking, unless your motives are nefarious.

This product is a work in progress (at least a year since originally published) and is constantly under development, with input and suggestions from the users being applied as updates as fast as good suggestions are offered by people on this site can come up with ideas. This thread is just about a new "skin" for the P Dash!

And the basic idea was a YEAR OR MORE ahead of it's time!

The new concept (this weeks NEWS) is a laptop that HAS NO PROCESSOR, HAS NO MEMORY). (Forgot who's doing it) The laptop is nothing but a screen and a battery. Dock your PHONE to it for the processor and memory....... and it charges your phone to boot!

In the future your phone will be the dash on your bike (already here-PDash) your car, boat, airplane, the processor for your laptop,desktop, GPS, home appliance diagnostic, whatever............just plug it in and there you go!

Remember: The pocket calculator that you bought for $2 in line at Walmart has more computing power than the computer that allowed the Lunar Module to land on the moon in 1969, your iPhone has more computing power than all of NORAD in 1965.

Spend more time reading, less posting.........maybe not..........your posts are right on and worth reading, so read more and post just as much.

Love ya!
If you don't like what I post then don't read it or ask the owners of this forum to make me go away.
Having a phone mounted over the dash on my motorcycle just doesn't make sense to me.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ya, a bigger screen would certainly further improve visibility but the 4" diagonal screen on the N810 is pretty nice too. The galaxy S screen is even better as it's a super amoled screen. From what I've heard it's really nice.

I need to scan through the original pdash thread to double check but I think that you need android 2.1 or 2.2. The Archos tablet you linked to is Adroid 1.6. Bob can confirm but he is away so might not be able to respond too quickly.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Hey Everyone,

Just wanted to post a video so you can see the custom skins in action. I had to compromise for now and do a digital capture of the skin in action instead of an actual video. My camera lighting wasn't ideal and wasn't doing the best job of showing the skin (the file was also huge). This video will give you a good idea of what the skins look like in action.

Enjoy!

Attachments

·
Registered
375 Posts
Ya, a bigger screen would certainly further improve visibility but the 4" diagonal screen on the N810 is pretty nice too. The galaxy S screen is even better as it's a super amoled screen. From what I've heard it's really nice.
the 7" seems like it might be too big, but why dont you get one and give us a demo ;o)

I was thinking the Dell 5" tablet/phone might be just about right!

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Hi, this is considered as a commercial topic, you will have to register as vendors in order to post commercial stuff on this place (in the classified area).

Please do not use this forum to spam us with your websites and home based business schemes.

It is to be used ONLY for the following:

1. Threads discussing your business transactions with CURRENT or PREVIOUS VENDORS or SPONSORS of the 1130cc. Please try to remain positive and courteous. If you are having an issue with a sponsor, please first try to contact them and give them the courtesy of trying to settle it before you post negativity here.

2. Products and/or current promotions or specials being offered to 1130cc Members. Again, you must be a current sponsor to post here.

3. Sponsors are asked to keep their commercial post in their designated sales forum and the vendor specials forum.

ALL SITE RULES APPLY with these exceptions

Sponsor can advertise in sig area their company name and URL, using the same general guidlines outlined in the forum rules

Sponsors can reply to a DIRECT request for cost info etc in the general forums.

Sponsors must use some tact when another sponsor appears to be "working" a post.

Moderation is at the staffs discretion

All other general rules apply. Sig size and content follows same rules other than as stated above. No spamming. No advertising outside the outlined areas above.

Please make all advertising inquiries to: [email protected]

Appreciate everyone's help in reporting violators as well.
ps - pretty cool product btw

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
Status
Not open for further replies.