Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a Thunder Header, K&N filter and PCIII on my 2006 Night Rod. When I let off the throttle I get popping out the exhaust. I attached the map if anyone can help it would be great. Thanks View attachment TH3.djm

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I'm sure some of the "map guru's" can help but in the mean time you could check the different maps that people have posted on the forum, you might get lucky and find one for your setup that will work even better than yours.

I had the same problem and found a map here, still had some decel popping and the member Spaz ended up fixing my map for me, hopefully he will chime in here soon! and welcome to the forum :thumb:

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
Did you also change your exhaust gaskets? A torn gasket will also make them pop.

·
Registered
1,980 Posts
what rpm does it pop? I had to add fuel on the 0 throttle at the rpm that it pops which stopped it. but check for exhaust leaks first

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
Spaz said:
Welcome, Try this out and let us know how it works.
View attachment 93684
:notworth: I know spaz helped me out!!! I'd be willing to bet if you use his map the decel popping will be gone :thumb:

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
loading map BRB Thanks

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Also make sure you set your zero throttle position.

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks Spaz it seems to work taking it on a little ride ,I'll report back in a few

·
Premium Member
169 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
All good thanks for the help !!!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
JaredT said:
I still find it annoying that we have to add fuel at zero throttle to fix the "PC-Pop"
Popping also happens on stock off the floor bikes so it is not the "PC" pop! It is decel popping! ie Backfiring!

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
What's wrong with you people? DECEL POPPING IS COOL!!!

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
rjrivero said:
What's wrong with you people? DECEL POPPING IS COOL!!!
I actually liked the decel popping with my old samsons, it sounded like a semi truck :D but the popping I was getting with my chopped exhaust was an annoying sound.

·
VRSCD's Rule!
4,160 Posts
I like the decel popping too! It's just the popping around 3-5k rpms that unnerve me a bit..

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
While i'll agree that a "little" bit of decel popping is fine, when it pops so bad that you have flames emitting from your tailpipe, it must "might" be a bit much. Ok, that can be cool at night too, but in a homemade jet engine out of an old junkyard turbo kind of way.

my bike never popped on the SE1 tune, it did start popping with the PCIII. Same pipe, no other changes.

I might be stuck in the cage world when it comes to ECMs, but I really wish I was able to completely flash the ECM like you can with a GM ECM and compare flashes. If the SERT is the closest thing I can get, I guess I'll be getting a SERT at some point.

There should be a decel fuel cutoff table, is this table available in the SERT?

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
JaredT said:
While i'll agree that a "little" bit of decel popping is fine, when it pops so bad that you have flames emitting from your tailpipe, it must "might" be a bit much. Ok, that can be cool at night too, but in a homemade jet engine out of an old junkyard turbo kind of way.

my bike never popped on the SE1 tune, it did start popping with the PCIII. Same pipe, no other changes.

I might be stuck in the cage world when it comes to ECMs, but I really wish I was able to completely flash the ECM like you can with a GM ECM and compare flashes. If the SERT is the closest thing I can get, I guess I'll be getting a SERT at some point.

There should be a decel fuel cutoff table, is this table available in the SERT?
Have you set your zero throttle position correctly on your PC3? Are there any negative - values in your zero throttle position on your map?

·
lurch on two wheels
296 Posts
I have set the throttle position, that is dead on. There are no negative values in my zero throttle position, in fact I'm running a map you (spaz) modified for decel popping. It has very small popping so I might add just a touch more fuel in a couple of spots, that and it has a dead spot at low rpm, so I need to spend a little time there working things out.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts
I know for a fact that ALL the decel popping can be gone. I've had three different pipes on my bike and have loaded many different maps with all the exhuast and had always had some decel popping, untill spaz tweaked the last map I was useing. I don't have any popping what so ever now :thumb:

I'm sure if anyone gets their bike dyno tuned by somebody that knows what they are doing they can get the popping to stop, but a lot of people have maps that are kind of in the middle for fuel consumtion and power.

I think I just got lucky with the map I found here on the forum and also lucky for spaz to tweak it a bit.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts