Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just installed a 16 ga double barrel exhuast. I downloaded the M809-015 map to the powercommander. Bike seems to run fine, however, there is a pop during the downshift from 2nd to 1st with no throttle. When downshifting from 3rd to 2nd there is no pop.

I was running the SE slip fits previously, and was using the M809-004 map. I didn't have this noise.

I do not feel I have an exhaust leak, as none of the header pipes are loose. There is no carbon buildup on the chrome either.

It's probably nothing to worry about, since there is only a couple of pop's and it's over. Just would like them to go away.

SETUP: 16 ga double barrel, SE filter, Stock ECM, and PCIII usb (not topless)

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Decel popping will not hurt the motor. If it's an issue, try adding a little fuel at the 0% TPS at the RPM that you are noticing the popping. It may help.

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for the input. I went for a 100 mile ride this afternoon. After a little while I barely noticed the slight pop.

I did however think that the power is a little less than before. It could be just my imagination. It is very smooth through all RPM's and speed, so I guess it's just me.

If I wanted to get it DYNO'd for the heck of it, where would I take it to? I live south of Chicago.

·
20 Eyes in my Head
5,557 Posts
rjrivero said:
Decel popping will not hurt the motor. If it's an issue, try adding a little fuel at the 0% TPS at the RPM that you are noticing the popping. It may help.
:them:

Also check that all the fittings and clamps are securely tightened. Air leaks sucking in cooler air can cause popping too. Anytime a new exhaust is put on, you should take it for a good ride and let the bike heat all the way up for awhile. When you are done, let it cool and retighten each nut and bolt. The heat expansion and cooling contractions can cause bolts to come loose.

Gary

·
Lip Smack'n Good
133 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
myneed4speed said:
I have noticed the PC needs enrichment at zero, 2 and 5 to get rid of my pop on the 16ga. It doesn't take much to make a big differnece.
I never have messed with a map before, so I could probably do more damage than good.

I'm running the standard map for my setup.

So what you are saying is that if numbers were 0,0,3,5,10,0,0 for example, I would just add 1 to the 3,5,and 10. Then upload to the commander and take her for a ride. If all sounds good, then call it quits and save the map for the future.

How critical is the zero throttle adjustment. I thought the last time I had the USB hooked up, I noticed the position was reading around 10% even though I never touched the throttle.

Side note: I'm getting around 32 mpg. Usually 4 miles city, then 10 miles on highway on my commute to work each day.

·
Never Late
520 Posts
whiskerbiscuits said:
I never have messed with a map before, so I could probably do more damage than good.

I'm running the standard map for my setup.

So what you are saying is that if numbers were 0,0,3,5,10,0,0 for example, I would just add 1 to the 3,5,and 10. Then upload to the commander and take her for a ride. If all sounds good, then call it quits and save the map for the future.

How critical is the zero throttle adjustment. I thought the last time I had the USB hooked up, I noticed the position was reading around 10% even though I never touched the throttle.

Side note: I'm getting around 32 mpg. Usually 4 miles city, then 10 miles on highway on my commute to work each day.
Before you do anything else!!! adjust your throttle!! if it is reading 10% throttle and your throttle is at 0% then you really need to fix it! right now as you have it setup you are getting to much gas into the engine when you let go of the throttle.....and yes it can cause it to pop!! so follow the instructions to fix it....it is really easy and can fix the issue you are having.

Second....go semi or topless. This could also fix the pop by allowing more air into the mix of fuel and might lean out the pop caused by to much fuel.

But don't alter the map till you work thru each step....on step at a time. Don't want to do to much as 1 thing might fix it, but to many things at once might cause something else. Fix throttle....test ride. if still popping...semi or topless....test ride. If still popping...work on the map.

Good luck

·
Registered Abuser
2,894 Posts
I remember when I had the SE 16 on with the stage 1 download, I would try to make it pop, it was fun just making it do it. I can't get these Rinehart's to pop no matter what I do.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts