Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Is it just me or is the headlight designed to illuminate everything but the road ahead? I've adjusted it per the service manual specs. however it just appears to light up the surrounding country side and not the road in front of you and not very bright either!! (Scares the crap out of the Kangaroos!) FYI I've installed the "Super Sport Windshield" not so long ago, which, prompted the adjustment in the first place. It requires you to remove the headlight and install a chrome surround (not sure what this does?) and re-align the headlight! :banghead:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Isobaric said:
It requires you to remove the headlight and install a chrome surround (not sure what this does?) and re-align the headlight! :banghead:
The chrome shroud is designed to stop rainwater that drips off the bottom of the windshield from running over the lens of the headlight.

You are not alone in finding the illumination provided by the V-Rod headlight to be less than great. Short of adding additional driving (riding?) lights there really isn't a lot you can do to improve things, beyond double checking that your alignment is good. With the S/S windshield I have found you will get some odd reflections on the screen at night - I've found that slightly adjusting the brackets seems to help - but it still doesn't completely eliminate them.

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
I thought the headlight visor was to stop the reflection in the windshield! It did on mine. Of course I have mine 'reversed'. First time I heard the rainwater thing.

·
Registered
472 Posts
I found the chrome visor on mine wouldn't allow me to aim the headlight down far enough. I ride two-up. The headlight was right in the eyes of oncoming traffic and all I got was a constant stream of people hitting me with their brights which was REALLY annoying.
Progressive 440 shocks helped some (especially with the ride) :hmm: .
What I finally did was add about 1/8" of stainless steel washers behind the headlight mounting bar when I remounted the headlight. That forced the headlight beam down some. You really can't tell the washers are there and the little gap isn't really noticeable.
All that still doesn't help illuminate the road, but it stopped people from hitting me all night with their brights.
(I also reverse mounted my windshield.) :hmm:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
Daniii said:
Of course I have mine 'reversed'. First time I heard the rainwater thing.
I'm trying to picture "reversed" (sorry its been three months since I saw my bike... sob) - does that mean you have the pointy bit facing backwards

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Actually it means the pointy bit is facing forward. When installed as designed the arc of the cover is pretty close to parallel with the light housing with the pointy end covering the back of the plastic light housing.

·
Craig Fehr
2,506 Posts
I have mine reversed too Daniii. I kind of like the looks of the little "scoop" over the headlight when it's reversed.

·
Registered
472 Posts
A picture is worth a thousand words.
Like boating, the pointy end faces forward :rofl:

Photos attached show the windshield reverse-mounted. It helps deflect the wind a little up on your face. The bottom wind hits me about at my eyes now instead of my chin. Helps some with eating some buys. I'm 5'10"

The gap shown behind the headlight mounting bar helps aim the headlight a bit lower and more focused on the road (for me anyway).

Attachments

·
Ted
1,629 Posts
I liked mine reversed also but had the same prob as Jimaro. Light stays where it should instead of gradually pointing upwards no matter how tight I tightend it.

·
Registered
62 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Thanks for the info guys! I'm going to try your suggestions.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts