• 3.51 or more

Votes: 6 13.0%
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Banned
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How much gas to full

The book says it holds 3.7 gal... is that on the jeffystand or up-right? Whats the most amount of gas you have ever put into your rod?

·
Premium Member
13,343 Posts
There are many threads on this subject. Seems empty on the gauge leaves about a gallon in the tank.

·
Speed Freak
88 Posts
I have never noticed the actual amount. I just pre-pay, fill up, and go.

It is good to know that there is still a good reserve even after the gauge shows empty.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
I just filled er' up yesterday. Needle below "E" (one needle width) and only put 3.105 gallons in the tank. Filled it to the top. Talked to a Harley Tech and he said it was normal for the v-rod to read empty early. Harley dosen't want us running out of gas. Too bad we can't make that dumb decision for our selves. Although I must say it is nice to have a gas guage. My old Springer you just rode till you hit reserve.

·
Talk to the boot!
498 Posts
I can understand offsetting the fuel sender to keep the fuel pump from running dry. But keep it a little realistic, eh? For example: when you're riding cross-country on I-70 through Utah and the sign up ahead says, "No Services Next 120 Miles" you get a little antsy at the reading the gauge is giving you! :eek:

·
Banned
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
So I understand you should not let it run to empty but how low is too low? Full on "E" just below "E"? And how full should you fill it? Seems when the pump auto stops it's not close to being full but when I fill it to the top as the gas heats up in the tank it will start to overflow and I see a puddle under the bike. Does anyone know the true full line?

·
Registered
218 Posts
I balance the fuel guage reading with my mileage, depending on the type of driving on that tank. You just have to know your bike over time and type of driving. My bechmark is 125 miles going 55-85mph before I'm really, really looking for gas (less than 1/2 gallon remaining by then). Panic will set in at 130.

·
just a ghost now
2,719 Posts
My longest mileage has been around 135, and like mustang, panic sets in, guage long time on E.....will I make it to the next station, or will I be pushin? So far no pushin. Better to be conservative and stop early, plan ahead.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts