Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Here is a stock rear caliper polished. More time then I expected but it actually looks pretty good, and much cheaper then the chrome but I'm sure the chrome looks better. I have it laying on the rotor so you can see it beside the stock unit.

Max

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Total time for the rear caliper was about 4 hours including rebuilding the caliper.

Max

·
G'Day mate
175 Posts
Nice work Max. A nice match for your pulley on the opposite side. Did you use a similar method to the pulley? How did you get into the areas around the bolts?

Smasha

·
Petrolhead
414 Posts
Max, I love that look.Great Job!
This is a picture from a modified Rod that was in our local dealership last year.
With this caliper they actually ground off the 'insert' area so it could be polished all over.
Notice the calipers have Chromed hardware as well.....Does anyone know where those can be purchased?
Also Max, when the caliper is reassembled, do you need a rebuild kit or new gaskets or anything?

Pictured are front and rear (rear picture not showing as much of the caliper as I'd like to )

Attachments

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I used the same method as I did with the pulley to polish and around the bolt holes is a real pain and impossible to get perfect with the tools I have.

Creosote

I took the calipers apart and did the polishing with all the seals out and was going to purchase a new kit but the seals and pistons were perfect so all I did was clean everything up after I was done and reasemble the caliper using the same seals and a small amount of silicone paste. I can tell you that the best way to get the pistons out is to use a pair of inverted snap ring pliers and spread them inside the pistons and simply rotate them and pull and they came right out for me. The first one I did I used air and it shot the piston out like a bullet so be careful with those pistons.

Max

·
If You Ain't Cav...
2,069 Posts
Max,
Sir, You are a true artisan...a craftsman beyond compare. Bravo!!
(How Much?!?) :D :rofl:
Mike

·
Geezer
13,343 Posts
Of course, once polished, you have to KEEP it polished.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Daniii just like the rear pulley you can compare it to your swing arm. It doesn't have to be a mirror shine to look much better then the stock units and really require very little work to keep nice.

Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Pictures don't begin to do these justice. Gives you an idea before and after side by side. The flash shows up every imperfection and they are damn hard to sand perfect.

Attachments

·
Chad 02 V-ROD
1,364 Posts
Max what about some chrome bolts to set off the polish job. Just a thought

1 - 17 of 17 Posts