Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Banned
924 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Was thinking about getting polished or maybe Chrome rotors. Can anyone offer any advice? Pros and cons? Do they even look very good after general use?

·
Fries with that?
1,541 Posts
Here's another (related?) question: I've heard that ductile iron is the best material for rotors, perfomance-wise. That being said, it would seem that polishing (and especially chroming) the rotors, while making them shiny and pretty, would actually make your brakes less effective.

Thoughts???

·
spit happens
5,534 Posts
You don't want the rotors to be shinny.The pads won't grab as good.There is not enough friction.The chrome and polish job will wear eventually,but until that time the brakes won't be as effective.
Carbin fiber is the best for brakes.That is what all the F1 cars use.The hotter they get the more stopping ability you will have.It also ways about 10times as less.

·
Registered
71 Posts
This is a motorcycle, not a car. Some things don't apply to bikes as they do cars. Doctile iron rotors is one of them. I'm not an expert, but I've never seen a chromed rotor, been to a few bike shows, and seen many custom bikes. I think that if it did exist the owner would be an idiot. Chrome has a very low melting point. Ironically Carbon fiber brake pads don't work as well on a bike as other types of pads do. That being said, changing stopping distance from 120 to 121 feet by changing pads probably doesn't mean much, because this is the wrong bike to road race with. Polish your rotors, stopping distance will be unnoticable by you. Just remember to use a carbon fiber brake pad like EBC's. Also note that polished rotors can have excellent stopping power, as is evident on all F1, and motocross bikes. They both use CF pads, and near Zero brake fade.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
My understanding of brakes is that the smother the surface the better the stopping ability. Here is why, just like after rotors are turned they actually give less braking then a set that you look and the rotor is glass smooth. If you look at a rotor very close you will see that after it is turned it is like a record groove and when the brake pad makes contact that it is only contacting about 50% of the material until it wears the groove down and make them smooth. Don't be fooled by the turning the brake rotor on your car, unless your rotors are warped your better off to simply replace worn pads, the turning of the rotor does nothing for noise or for stopping ability.

With that said a polished rotor should work just as well and any rotor. :2cents:

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
On a bike I think that polished Stainless would combine the look and performance you all are looking for. Combine that with a good EBC pad and you're all set.

·
The Tin Man
2,153 Posts
I had mine back roter polished - the front does not have very much surface area beyond were the brake pads contact the roter. You can see a picture of what they look like on the "Progress...KSPZ3" link in the high performance section. I do not use the back break much and therefore thought that it would work OK. I haven,t ridden it much so I do not know how it will all work out - but my shop guys told me that it is a fairly common practice on customs.
Kevin

·
Registered
424 Posts
ozzycustoms said:
On one piece rotors go with polished, on a two piece rotors you can chrome the inners but leave the outer as is. IMHO
Here's some pics of 2-pc rotors. You can see how the inside could be chromed without affecting any of the contact surface. Gaining alot of popularity in the custom world.

Attachments

·
Big Daddy!
975 Posts
Ok Rmdbillet I'll bite........................how much for a set for the v-rod?
Thanks, Eric

·
Registered
424 Posts
It wasn't intended to be bait - just showin' some options...

$295/ea Polished
$350/ea Chromed

Inner piece is cut to your design, usually to match the wheel.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts