Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I seen HANNY polished belt guard on the form here last week. And I said to my self looks too cool so I went about doing it. Its not hard just time consuming. But once I put it on my bike. There seemed to be something missing it just wasn't aesthetically balance. So to balance it I built an aluminum debris deflector and modified it to my taste. I wanted to see more rear sprocket. Even though most of the deflector is covered by my stock looking muffler I think it needed to be done. Unfortunately the only two inch aluminum angle iron I had on hand was to short to run the length and 1/4 inch thick plus at leased 30 years old so I had to weld four pieces together to make it. There are some small blemishes but most of it is coved by my muffler. What do you guys think.:ride:

Attachments

·
Registered
446 Posts
I want one! LoL
I was going to paint the stocker gloss black to give it a little something extra! But after seeing this! Gloss black just won't do.
Great job and love the Devil's Tail.

·
Registered
1,542 Posts
love it .... wish you were my next door neighbour !!!!

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I want one! LoL
I was going to paint the stocker gloss black to give it a little something extra! But after seeing this! Gloss black just won't do.
Great job and love the Devil's Tail.
I can make more. Its what I do I'm a blacksmith. If you have any idea of what design you may want down by the hub let me know. I went small and simple. But there is room for a 4 1/2 x 8 inch plate I can put anything thing you want down there. There is no cad, no CNC all done by hand I cannot make two the same I can make one like another but not the same. Once I build a proto type and I have I know I can do it. I can build with new materials so there will be no blemishes. And I have the setup to power coat. So my question to you is what do you think it would be worth for a small price of art built to your liking for your bike. If you guys can come up some praises I will go to the middle of the road with them. I'm not greedy I like to ride my muscle. But v-rods are left out of accessories by HD so we have to come up with are own and I would be happy to help out any fellow V-RODER. HD wants 100 bucks for a chromed peace of tin with no belt adjustment window? So let me know if I can build something custom for you.:ride:

Attachments

·
Registered
2,491 Posts
theres one problem with the alloy bottom guard i dont like, and it is that is only held on with a 6mm bolt.once you make that guard out of a rigid material then the stress on that bolt increases to a point that if it fails then there is nothing stopping that guard from departing the bike,hopefully without damaging anything on the way out.i think at least an 8mm bolt should be used in your application.fine job by the way.

·
Premium Member
407 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
theres one problem with the alloy bottom guard i dont like, and it is that is only held on with a 6mm bolt.once you make that guard out of a rigid material then the stress on that bolt increases to a point that if it fails then there is nothing stopping that guard from departing the bike,hopefully without damaging anything on the way out.i think at least an 8mm bolt should be used in your application.fine job by the way.
I would think a 6 mm 420 stainless steel with a Rockwell Hardness of 50 HRC would have the strength to handle the vibrational stresses. I put a strip of rubber between the swing arm and the debris deflector to absorb some of the shock.But there are many other shock absorbent materials available like polymers, neoprene, silicone, etc. The only after market HD part offered is rigged and made of tin. I know that aluminum can withstand more vibrational stresses then tin. I used a star lock washer on the stock flat washer. But when I go to the stainless allen bolt I will give the threads a good coating of blue loctite to hold it and give it an airtite seal in the threads. Or you can put a zinc nib in the allen bolt hole to stop electrolytci corrosion. I would hate to make anyone drill and tap out there swing arm. Its a tuff place to work on if not on the bench. I have been riding on it all weekend but your quarry makes me think I should go up to Tacoma screw and pick up some allen bolts. I would like any other though's on this. As it can only make it better. Thanks:ride:

·
Registered
446 Posts
Not sure on what a price should be. Add up the cost of your materials. Then figure in your labor and let us know your price. I like the little Devils Tail.
Also the thought of that thing coming loose and cutting my tire at 100 plus is a bit scary. I like your looking into the bolt.

·
Premium Member
1,334 Posts
Love it - that devils tail end detail is brilliant
:them: the polishing is one thing but your added touches makes the mod very cool. always cool seeing guys come up with new stuff and i love cheap or even free mod's. Well done, paul

1 - 15 of 15 Posts