Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My bother-in-law is a machinist and really loves my Rod. He wants one but that's another story. Anyway, he said that I can take 1000 grit sandpaper and with a lot of elbow grease, I can really make the wheels of my Rod look better than chrome. Anyone have any thoughts on this?

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
sospolice I think they can be polished to a very high luster. Maybe not better then chrome but they can look very good and they tend to resist water spots much better when polished. The wheels are machined on some sort of lathe and the groves you see on the wheel will take a lot of sanding to get to a point that you don't see the compressed metal tracks from the lathe.

Max

·
spit happens
5,532 Posts
Being a CNC machinistlet me tell you
Those machine lines will be hard to get out.Trust me I've had to rework parts that had bad finishes.You have hrs into each wheel,to get it to shine like chrome.
Alot of people here use Mother's BILLET or Wicked polish.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Sospolice, the only reason you would want to sand is to remove the machine marks left on the rims and I can tell 1000 grit paper won't even touch them.

If you are wanting to remove the machine marks you will need to go down to a minimum 500 grit (we use 320) and go up to about 1500, then use a buffing wheel and compound.

If you are just wanting to shine them up a bit just use polish like Ozzy Polish :D or mothers billet.

Here is a set we did not long ago with all machine marks gone. Takes us several hours on our Merlin, I would hate to try this by hand.

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Those look great....Thanks guys...What can I say, he's my bother-in-law......need I say more?

·
Registered
439 Posts
Max,

After normal cleaning, can I use 1000 grit sand paper and not damage the wheels? Then I can use mother's billet polish. One challange I have is buffing them with any tool. I purchased the buffer ball from Ozzy Customs. Works fantastic but can not use it on the rear wheel. I would love to find a pad that attaches to a drill and apply mother's with it and then buffit it with a different pad that also attaches to a drill. Any suggestions?

Best regards,
:cool:

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
ozzycustoms said:
If you are wanting to remove the machine marks you will need to go down to a minimum 500 grit (we use 320) and go up to about 1500, then use a buffing wheel and compound.
The idea behind sanding is to leave progressively smaller scratches or "grooves" in the surface. By the time you get down to 1500 or 2000 grit paper the "scratches" are so tiny that they are invisible to the naked eye, and the surface takes on a mirror finish. If you use a grit with abrasive particles that are smaller than the largest "groove" in the surface being finished, all you will end up with is "shiny scratches". Thats why Ozzy needs to go down to 320 grit - apparently the machining grooves in the V-Rod's wheels are approximately the same size as the particles in 320 grit paper.

In general, I would put hand polishing a V-Rod's wheels in the same ballpark as digging a swimming pool with a shovel - technically it is possible to do with a tremendous amount of sweat - but its much quicker and easier to have it done by machine..

·
Fireman/investigator
1,965 Posts
There is a local car wheel and tire shop that polishes car wheels for $35 a side. THey told a friend of mone that they would do his bike whlles for the same price, if he took them off for them. Does this sound right? Apparantly they have a machine they use for this.

·
Registered
136 Posts
Greg, they probably use a Merlin and it is pretty quick to polish things out, but I doubt they were adding anything in to remove the machine marks. $70 a rim sounds about right for a polish.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts