Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Today I went on my first poker run. It was sponsored by the Okinawa Super Bikers. For the most part they all ride Crotch Rockets. However, since this is a small island and there is a lot of Military here they didn't mind a few Harleys in the mix. The proceeds went to one of the local Orphanages.

Of the 50 bikes participating, mine was the only V-Rod. We all met up this morning and just before we began one of the other Harley riders came up to me and said, "I never liked the V-Rod until I saw yours."

I also talked with another V-Rod owner. He had left his bike back in the States. I told him about the forum so hopefully he will pay us a visit.

The ride was great. I didn't win anything even though I played two hands. It went to a good cause so I didn't mind.

·
NOT A REAL HD RIDER
779 Posts
Man post some pictures of that!! :popcorn :popcorn

·
Registered
1,190 Posts
Nice country there. Did sometime at Kadina, Okinawa back in the 60's. Lots of history there.

·
Registered
2,746 Posts
Dont feel left out, I've ridden 100-125 bike poker runs and end up being the only V-Rod. The attention is great at first, but then the questions start to get old. They all love my "V", but most say they would'nt own one. Thats great for me. I have seen a few going down the highway, but never catch up with them. I never win those poker hands either. Good thing I'm not a gambler.

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
There's a poker run next month in my area. I was looking around to find out how exactly a poker run worked. Can someone educate me? :)

·
Registered
37 Posts
Was on the "Rock" 77-80 and 80-83, loved the rides to Nargo. Had a Honda CB750F and VR700, rode with the Road M MC out of Futema. Post some flicks of the ride.

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I didn't have my camera but I will get with someone who was there and see if I can get some.

The way they worked this one, you draw a card at the starting point. At each stop you draw a card and at the last stop you get the last card. They write down your card on a slip you carry and at the end they transfer your "hand" to the sign-up sheet from the start.

They may work other ones differently, this was the first one I have done.

·
Riding the good life
4,908 Posts
BlueCamel said:
There's a poker run next month in my area. I was looking around to find out how exactly a poker run worked. Can someone educate me? :)
5 or 7 stops along a predetermined route you ride, each stop you pull a card.

The card you pull from a hat/box or whatever gets handwritten onto the stop a stamp is affixed and initaled to prove the card was pulled, and this is doen at each stop.

Usually there is a hi and a low hand that wins. Hi hand takes the majority pot, low hand takes less.

Depending on how many riders involved is what determines the win for $, we have won anywhere from 80 to 120 bucks at these things.

·
Registered
488 Posts
Wish I had a bike when I was there... was there from 99-01... spent most of my time on Hansen, tho our main base was on Kinsor and I took college courses on Courtney.

All I did there was play video games and dive... and get drunk... and eat taco rice.... mmm, I miss that shit.

·
Registered
488 Posts
bitterboy3 said:
i was on Okinawa as well from 02-06. Stationed on Futenma. Beautiful place if you can get rid of all the people.
and the f'ing pig farms...

·
Vendor
5,940 Posts
Rich Moran said:
5 or 7 stops along a predetermined route you ride, each stop you pull a card.

The card you pull from a hat/box or whatever gets handwritten onto the stop a stamp is affixed and initaled to prove the card was pulled, and this is doen at each stop.

Usually there is a hi and a low hand that wins. Hi hand takes the majority pot, low hand takes less.

Depending on how many riders involved is what determines the win for $, we have won anywhere from 80 to 120 bucks at these things.
Plus a lot of dick slapping going on to so be ready for the questions to come about your VRod especially if its tricked out. :D
Personally myself I cant sit around and wait for all the hands to come in. So be sure you have nothing scheulded afterwards cause you will be waiting, most of the ones I have been on operate as per Richs post.

·
Skunked 2003 VRSCA
92 Posts
ohioVROD said:
Plus a lot of dick slapping going on to so be ready for the questions to come about your VRod especially if its tricked out.
Beyond "nice bike" and quoting some obvious specs I never found much intrest in talking up my bike. My general response is to most of the questions I get is "Hell if I know, I just love the way it rides" to which they nod and stare at it some more.

I expect less of that around other Harley owners though. If I'm lucky enough to run into other vrods I'll ask about specific mods and what it took to get it done :)

·
Registered
276 Posts
was a corpsman at camp hansen 1969. did lots of damage in kim village and the price for a short time was 4 bucks. was playing softball one evening when suddenly everyone stopped and looked at this black jet whistle overhead. absolutely wild looking. ultrasecret. several years later i found out it was the soon to be famous sr71 the fastest and most secret spy plane in the world (back then)
doc pettee
5th 155 sp guns vietnam 68 and hansen 69

·
Registered
310 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I was never stationed here while I was in, always got sent to Europe. Twice to England (Alconbury and Bentwaters) and once to Germany (Bitburg). I even did my "Short" in Iceland (Keflavic). After I retired I went to Saudi Arabia for 9 1/2 years then found this job on the inter-net. I will be leaving here this September and may end up back in Saudi.

·
Registered
271 Posts
"oki"

I was at the seabee base,a 25 cent cab ride away from kadena afb. Can't remember the price of a "short time" but still have the 30-06 I bought at the px for $70. That was in '64.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts