Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wondering if anyone has mounted these on a vrsca, what is the stopping power like, and feed back to the rider like. Your input would be appreciated, my stock brakes are frightening.........and dangerous.

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
What year is your bike? The '02 - '05 brakes were not that good but the '06 and up come from the factory with Brembo's and are much better. I have an '02 that I put the PM's on when I put the PM wheels on too and they stopped much better but were solid mounted rotors so you felt them more than the floating rotors on the factory wheels. I have since upgraded to the aftermarket Brembo's with the full floating rotors and BIG 4 piston calipers and they are the best brakes I've had yet (even better than the factory H-D Brembo's). Also with the PM's becareful with the chrome because it doesn't last (at least not in my experience with it).

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Oh and :vrodforu:

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thankyou for the welcome! My bike is a mildly modified 04, as the mods come along the bike just keeps getting better. But after going into tank slappers at 140 kms per hour by touching the brakes i need an upgrade!! I was spoilt with good brakes on all my past bikes and need the same on this one. Do you have the four or six spot calipers on your bike? what will i need to change in the way of brake lines and a master cylinder, do i need to go pm all the way or can i mix hd with pm products.:notworth:

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
I had the six pot PM's and currently have the 4 BIG pot Brembo's. You can run the same lines and mastercylinder as stock. Do you have stock wheels and rotors on your bike now? If so I believe the PM's will bolt right up (they come with adaptors for the lower fork legs) but double check because if I remember correctly the PM discs are smaller than the stock discs (I will compare them when I get off work).

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Thankyou for the welcome! My bike is a mildly modified 04, as the mods come along the bike just keeps getting better. But after going into tank slappers at 140 kms per hour by touching the brakes i need an upgrade!! I was spoilt with good brakes on all my past bikes and need the same on this one. Do you have the four or six spot calipers on your bike? what will i need to change in the way of brake lines and a master cylinder, do i need to go pm all the way or can i mix hd with pm products.:notworth:
I can't see that the brakes will affect the tank slappers... I would check the steering head bearing, a known weak spot.

As for the brakes, the factory Brembos fitted after 2006 are fine. Just as good as the brakes on my other bikes. The front geometry however "pushes" the front. It makes the front easy to lock and very hard to get back. If ever a bike needed ABS, it is the V-Rod. Sadly mine doesn't have it, and neither does yours - appeared in 2008.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Would you recommend the brembo to the pm, and where can obtain the brembo big four pot calipers from. Thanks.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
HI louis, thankyou for your reply, i have felt a binding and then releasing coming from the steering head. I will get the mechanics to check out them out.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Im leaning heavily towards the brembo,s like yours, do you need to change the master cylinder and brake lines and banjo connections and if so what to? :)

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Nope. Bolt right up with no problems. I'm using my stock lines and mastercylinders.

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Nope. Bolt right up with no problems. I'm using my stock lines and mastercylinders.
Hmmm. I'm sure you know what you are doing, but I think the calipers expect DOT4 and the old lines and reservoir expect DOT5. Is that really OK?

·
Premium Member
5,719 Posts
Hmmm. I'm sure you know what you are doing, but I think the calipers expect DOT4 and the old lines and reservoir expect DOT5. Is that really OK?

These are not the H-D OEM Brembo's these are aftermarket Brembo's that QTMI built adaptors for to fit the '02 - '05 VRSC's that did not come equipped with Brembo's from the factory so it's all good. :D

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
These are not the H-D OEM Brembo's these are aftermarket Brembo's that QTMI built adaptors for to fit the '02 - '05 VRSC's that did not come equipped with Brembo's from the factory so it's all good. :D
Ah, that sounds like a good way to do the upgrade then!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
That sounds like me, time to go shopping then. Thanks so much for all your help. Will post some pics when im finished.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts