Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just installed PM brakes on my V-Rod today. I have been looking for better looking, better performing brakes for quite some time. I was torn between Chrome HD brakes, Brembo brakes and PM brakes. As you can see by the attached pic, I decided on the six piston PM brakes. IMHO they look good and they sure do perform much better than stock. Anyone interested, I know a place to get them much less expensive than buying them direct from PM.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Very nice Frank, make sure to add that pic to the gallery for all to see.

Max

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Thanks frank I think in the gallery they will be seen by more people after this thread moves down.

Max

·
Banned
1,622 Posts
They look good Frank!
I will do brakes that are superior to the stock units when I upgrade! BREMBO! Anything less is a compromise (IMHO).

John

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
Guys, there's essentially 3 items that determine the overall performance of a braking system, in this order of importance:

1. Swept surface area
2. Resistance to fade
3. Mechanical advantage

Swept surface area is a function of rotor diameter, pad contact width and surface area of the brake pads. Increasing the length and width of the pad as well as the overall diameter of the rotor has the most effect

Resistance to fade is influenced by the pad material, rotor material and the caliper design. Carbon fiber composites utilized on the pad and/or rotor have the greatest effect. The caliper design needs to take into account the number and/or surface area of the pistons, the calipers rigidity (less deformation = less energy lost to heat) and its ability to dissipate heat.

Mechanical advantage has two components. The lever advantage (how much pressure is multiplied between the brake lever and the pistons) and the distance from the centerline of the rotating mass of the caliper. The higher both of these advantages the better. Note: the rotor's overall diameter is not as important as the centerline of the pad contact area.

After having said all of that the only really effective way to improve upon the V-Rod's brakes are to increase the size of the pads and the strength and heat sink components of the calipers. I haven't looked at the complete specs on the PM 6 piston calipers or the Brembo calipers but from what I've read they are comparable in pad surface area and strength and should provide roughly equivalent improvements to braking performance. (I personally think the Brembo's are a tad better)

Anything braking system that doesn't increase the pad size or strength of the caliper will only provide cosmetic improvements. The stock V-Rod brakes are actually pretty good IMHO.

BTW, both the PM and Brembo look great! :thumb

·
Registered
255 Posts
Frank could you use the OEM bolt covers still???....Frank are you the one who put the sport WS on the SS mounts??...someone here dod and I wanted a pic..thx

Paul

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
vilzrod

Are you talking about the bolts that hold the calipers to the forks. If so I used the Kuryakan bolt covers that I used with the stock brakes and stock bolts.

Yes, I am the one that bought the Sport lexan and used all of the hardware from my Super Sport windshield and it works great. IMHO the Sport shield is much better than the Super Sport shield.

·
Registered
255 Posts
yest those are the bolts I'm talking about....willl the HD caliper bolt covers work?.... I assume you use the OEm boltss?...Frank could you send me a few pics of that sport WS ?? boynblueAshaw.ca

THX

·
Registered
255 Posts
I love your brakes Frank.... I'm torn between these and Brembos as well ... I'm also in a dilema between PM Wrath wheeels and the OEM chrome wheels and OEM polished with clearcoat(jus saw these and they look great too) ... I see your running the OEM finish...are you changing your wheels???...

I guess my big thought is the V Rod is a Vrod with the Solid wheel look and the aftermarket wheels out the seem to completely change the look of the bike...any comments?....confused like a teenager

·
2,552 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 · (Edited)
vilzrod

Yes I am changing my wheels out. I want an open wheel with much more stile that the solid wheels. I am not saying that the stock solid wheels are bad, but IMHO an open wheel make the V-Rod look different from the tens of thousands of V-Rods with stock wheels. Check out this link, http://www.xtrememachineusa.com/ they have great quality V-Rod wheels with a cush drive. GET CHROME!. Good luck on what you decide on. Regarding the PM brakes, they are MUCH better than stock.

·
Registered
454 Posts
Frank Storms said:
Just installed PM breaks on my V-Rod today. I have been looking for better looking, better performing breaks for quite some time. I was torn between Chrome HD breaks, Brembo breaks and PM breaks.
Since I'm upgrading the wheels (Weld Chopper) I need new calipers as well. Are there any new choices besides PM and Brembo?

Frank Storms said:
Anyone interested, I know a place to get them much less expensive than buying them direct from PM.
Frank, Is this place still around?

1 - 20 of 44 Posts