Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have 07 dx. dropping off today to get new tires and hopefully few other things. my tire question is should i get the avon 250 or the metzeler 260? the guy at the store i am going says i am not going to see a big difference with either tire over the dunlop 240 it comes with. any thoughts? also what black bars can i get that wont require me to install new cables? as for the rear sprocket whats the best bet i have heard alot of people doing that but whats the best thing to do. and what are benefits and negatives? do you need new belt? lastly i would like my bike to sit lower in the back. I was looking at the progressive shocks. i would love air ride but too much right now. So what lenght should i get? sorry so much i have had a busy week and meant to post this earlier in the week. thanks in advance for any help

·
Premium Member
1,494 Posts
As for the tire i put the metz 260 on and it is a better tire than the dunlop , i would never go back

·
Fah q 2
2,690 Posts
change is good.
powdercoating is an option for bars
there is no "best" option for pulley-it all depends on how and where and what
how you ride your moto
where you do the most riding
what you want to do with your moto
currently the pulley's available are... 26, 28,29, 30, and i think a 32 tooth

·
Registered
326 Posts
I changed tires to the Avon 250 and love it, and he's wrong you will definitely notice the difference, whichever tire you go with, besides the Dunlop..

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
as for the spocket.. i ride mostly on back roads not to much highway. would be sweet if it helped me burn up my new tires. and for the tire did you notice that it looks wider as well? or just perform better? thanks for the input.

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
as for the spocket.. i ride mostly on back roads not to much highway. would be sweet if it helped me burn up my new tires. and for the tire did you notice that it looks wider as well? or just perform better? thanks for the input.
You can burn up that back tire with the stock gearing. :deal:

·
K.I.A. '07 AW
10,908 Posts
what part of PA? I purchased my '07 from NewCastle HD and found that the stock rubber (dunlop) did not perform well on damp or wet roads. I blamed it on oily roads and other things until I swapped out to Metzeler and discovered how far and hard I could Really push the bike and still be in control. The Dunlop tires the Vs came with performed horribly on the PA, KY, OH, VA, and MD roads I had the pleasure to ride them on. The Metzelers proved to have much better grip in the twisties, wet, dry, damp, cold, and hot roads when compared to the Dunlops.
If this "tire guy" does not ride a VROD, his opinion on this topic is 100% worthless.
At one time I was one of those on here defending Dunlops, until I got hit by the front tire cupping bug and started paying attention to how much traction I really did not have.
The traction issue became painfully obvious when I did a group ride with a bunch of sportbikes & 1 VROD on some OH back roads in November. The other VROD was running Avons and was able to lean much further into the turns and take them that much hotter without losing traction. That day sold me on swapping out tires and spending so much time looking at his tail light, it also sold me on how crappy, visibility wise, the stock tail light is.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts