Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Still here, sort of
Joined
·
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The concept for this thread started in another on securing the motorcycle to a lift http://www.1130cc.com/forums/showthread.php?t=71603. Being new at it I appreciated hearing the advice of those who have experience with lifts. With the title of that thread some very valuable insight might not be noticed.
If you have any advice that you are willing to share, please do.
Thanks!
 

·
Chrome is king!!!
Joined
·
20,269 Posts
Lil, like I said in the other thread as long as you balance it right the bike won't come off the lift. Below is a pic of my bike on the lift when I was doing my 240. The whole back of the bike is off and it's still balanced fine without using any straps. That was also with me breaking loose some very tight axel and pivot shaft nuts. Don't worry. Once you get used to getting it on the lift it becomes second nature.

 

·
Banned
Joined
·
6,735 Posts
Maybe not practical for anyone else, but I put rings in the patio above where I work on it and in the ceiling in the den. They will hold the weight of the bike. It's the only way I'd feel safe with the kids running around. With the 2 from above and the 2 holding it to the lift, the bike isn't going anywhere.
If I'm only doing a minor thing like an oil change I don't strap it at all, but am really careful to keep the kids away.
 

Attachments

·
Premium Member
Pan American Son of VROD :-)
Joined
·
1,089 Posts
I don't secure it normally. If it's going to span a couple days or if other people are in the shop i will use tie-downs that go to a chains wrapped around the rafters. These work well.
 

·
Dr. Laser Guy
Joined
·
997 Posts
I use a Sears lift on my R (formerly on my A) and have never strapped it on. It sits very securely and I've never been worried. I can't imagine a problem unless one of those N Cal temblers rolls through one day...
 

·
Dr. Laser Guy
Joined
·
997 Posts
Check this out!

Also, check out my brother's solution at his home in Lubbock, TX. He designed and built this himself from scratch. He found an old hydraulic cylinder and set it into a block of concrete under his wooden shop floor. He then welded up the rest of the lift and runs it with an inexpensive hydraulic pump (Harbor Freight, I think) with his own reservoir design.

He does motorcycle crash repair on the side (his profession is auto/body) and he designed and installed this setup in his backyard shop. Creative stuff sort of runs in the family. I'm the propellor head scientist type; he's the master craftsman.
 

Attachments

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
Joined
·
5,763 Posts
I think Kerri offers up a beverage and a ham samich for someone else to do it for her... I heard it works! Maybe you should give it a try. :hiding:
 

·
1130cc Mike
Joined
·
1,860 Posts
Wow, that floor lift is awesome!
 

·
Chrome is king!!!
Joined
·
20,269 Posts
cbdane said:
Also, check out my brother's solution at his home in Lubbock, TX. He designed and built this himself from scratch. He found an old hydraulic cylinder and set it into a block of concrete under his wooden shop floor. He then welded up the rest of the lift and runs it with an inexpensive hydraulic pump (Harbor Freight, I think) with his own reservoir design.

He does motorcycle crash repair on the side (his profession is auto/body) and he designed and installed this setup in his backyard shop. Creative stuff sort of runs in the family. I'm the propellor head scientist type; he's the master craftsman.

That's pretty cool, but waht about a safety catch? If the hyraulics fail is there a safety to prevent the lift from dropping?
 

·
Guitar, not Gator
Joined
·
8,049 Posts
Never had a problem. Yes, it does become second nature after a while. I use straps for extended periods on the lift (like when I have to go to work).

I can do basically anything to the bike while it's up there.

 

·
V's and Z's
Joined
·
4,093 Posts
Here's my ER...LOL....

 

·
Bike is for sale!
Joined
·
5,075 Posts
I use the craftman lift, but I roll the V onto 2x6 to give more room.
 

·
Part-time mod
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
Biker Bill said:
I think Kerri offers up a beverage and a ham samich for someone else to do it for her... I heard it works! Maybe you should give it a try. :hiding:
HEY! :slap: I charge a beverage and a ham sammich for me to do the work! Get it right!

I use the Craftsman yellow lift as well. Sometimes I use straps (heavy/forceful work), sometimes I don't (easy work).
 

·
Still here, sort of
Joined
·
17,374 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Have you all found the motorcycle is simple and easy to place on the lift or do you have to wrangle with it a bit?
 

·
Part-time mod
Joined
·
10,859 Posts
I find it easy. I sit on the bike and pull the lift underneath it. I feel to make sure there's enough of the lift sticking out on each side then I crank it up until it is being supported on the lift, then I get off the bike, make sure it's stable, then crank it up to where I need it and tie down if necessary.
 

·
Dark Knight
Joined
·
1,505 Posts
I have the yellow Craftsman lift. The DX being lower, the lift fits just under the frame. I leave the bike on the jiffy stand. As I start to lift the bike stands up and balances on the lift. I hold the handle bars just to be safe. Once the bike is balanced, I open the seat and put on the tie downs, then lift it up as high as I need. For quick stuff, I don't even bother with the straps.
 

·
Dragon
Joined
·
92 Posts
the space in my garage for my bike is so limited that i use my lift almost every time i ride just to rotate my bike into position. with just a little practice you can pull up, balance the bike with your left hand, slide the lift under with your right hand and then with a few quick pumps the bike is up and secure.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
11,366 Posts
I always use straps to secure my bikes when on a lift. I had a Road King slide off backwards once. It did not have a front wheel at the time. What a mess to clean up.

Tie it down any way you can. My three bikes get tied down in three different ways. It depends on the bike. I prefer to thread the tie downs up and over the just the frame threading them past cables making sure there is no pinching. One of the bikes is so tight I can not get it over just the frame. I have to open the seat and thread the tie down over the frame up there.
 

·
Sanctimonious
Joined
·
44,118 Posts
Stand on the Opposite side of the Jiffy Stand, Pull the bike up towards you, slide the lift under until you see it peaking out the other side, Lift it as high as it will go, lower it so the Safety catches, Lift the seat, run a strap from the Front clamp on the lift and bring it arround and connect it the on the front clamp on that side. Always keep the jiffy stand down, even if its up in the air cuz when you lower it the same way that you just lifetrd it (In reverse) its a bit late to realize the Jiffy is Up when you are pulling out a Jack and lowering it back onto its stand.
 

·
Nate
Joined
·
3,277 Posts
luxlamf said:
Stand on the Opposite side of the Jiffy Stand, Pull the bike up towards you, slide the lift under until you see it peaking out the other side, Lift it as high as it will go, lower it so the Safety catches, Lift the seat, run a strap from the Front clamp on the lift and bring it arround and connect it the on the front clamp on that side. Always keep the jiffy stand down, even if its up in the air cuz when you lower it the same way that you just lifetrd it (In reverse) its a bit late to realize the Jiffy is Up when you are pulling out a Jack and lowering it back onto its stand.
:them: Exactly. Can't say I strap it all the time, unless I know I will be really wrenching on it with a torque wrench.
 
1 - 20 of 30 Posts
Top