Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Okay there's no stupid questions, right? We've all heard that! Well hang on to your mouse!

History: Six weeks ago, a friend of mine, let's call him Jim Beam, and I got together and around 2AM we wound up on E-Bay. Next morning, when I sobered up, Well, Ole Jed, I mean Jim, was a Millionare! Jim was already, I made him rich! But I was also the proud owner of a 2007 VRSCAW! I'm an old fart and haven't been this excited since they snatched the Lindbergh baby!

On the other hand, I've lurked on this site and haven't read this much good literature since the Kennedy assasination. But then, I have a limited time to live and need some answers to the following questtions that ARE studid! I've tried to figure these questions out on my own to no avail. So here we go:

Topless: What do we mean by this? I mentioned this to "ole what's her name" and she said she didn't want them dragging on the pavement. Maybe it means somthing else?

Rick's tank: What is wrong with the OEM and why/do I need one?

More technically: I took that ventilated thingy off the right hand side of the bike and found the 40W fuse thing and also an electical connector with a plug stuck in it.......What the heck is it for?

Then I went to put a rear BasePlate on the bike. The instructions said to note the routing of the electrical connections and be sure to put them back where they were! Well, I took the pillion off and the brain box just fell to the side! Putting things back I found a male connecter (looks waterproof) that doesn't apparently go to anything, a female fitting that has a plug in it that looks like it goes in the previous, but has a plug on it, and a big gray connector that apparently doesn't connect to anything. Everything on the bike works okay without these connected but what are they for? And what mounts on top of the brainbox for? This thing does have the factory security system, is this for the optional squealer?

Carp

·
Premium Member
1,106 Posts
:vrodforu:

Okay, topless means to take the top cover of the airbox off and run it that way allowing more air flow. This is usually done in conjunction with a high flow air filter, different pipes, and a new ECM map (otherwise it will run crappy).

Ricks tank is only for VRods that are older and came with a 3.7 gallon tank. All the new vrods come with a 5 Gallon tank already and the Ricks tank is a replacement for the older ones to make them 4.9 gallons.

The 40 amp fuse is your maxi-fuse. The connector is the ECM connector for hooking up a SERT and programming your ECM with a new map.

Yes, the siren does hook up to one of the connectors you are seeing under the pilon. There is another connector back there that just sits on top of the "brain" and isn't connected to anything. Not sure what it is for. The rear tail lights and blinkers both have plugs back there but if they work on your bike, you have them plugged in.

Hope this helps!

Ride safe ;)

·
Non-erator
9,795 Posts
And WELCOME to the forums! ;)

·
Registered
2,541 Posts
Some times a 2am decision is the best kind. As you have proved here. Best of luck to you and welcome.

·
Registered
148 Posts
welcome indeed. tell her top flop em out and lets a photo of the bike. just the bike:D

·
Dilligaf
5,393 Posts
Welcome and Congrats!

·
Shelby Stanga Rocks
8,199 Posts
EZE RIDER said:
Some times a 2am decision is the best kind. As you have proved here. Best of luck to you and welcome.
I guess if it was 2 1/2 hrs later he could be a member of the 4:30AM club.

Good luck and have fun.

Oh the stupid questions all have been asked. The dumb ones dont get an answer.

·
1130cc.comaholic
13,241 Posts

·
Cliff
423 Posts
Welcome......you'll be glad you and Jim colaborated on this one!! Enjoy.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
For those of you looking for post you made to respond the poster posted this question twice and the other post was removed.

·
Still here, sort of
17,374 Posts
Congratulations and thanks to your friend Jim!
Welcome to the best place on the web!
Lots of great people and more truly knowledgable and helpful folks than anywhere else.
:welcome: :vrodforu: :welcome:

1 - 13 of 13 Posts