Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
the other day i thought i would take out my baffles for the first time to see what it sounded like.Well i didn't care for the sound so i had to rewrap the fiberglass packing on the baffles before i reinstalled them,after i got the baffles back in i went for a ride and noticed that my foot pegs was vibrating and the handle bars just a little more than they use to.I'v took the baffles back out and inspected them and reinstalled the again and still have the vibration.This bike was very smooth before i took the baffles out and back in.Have yall run across this before?The pipes are not touching anything other than the mounting bracket.Its driving me crazy....thanks for any help yall can give

·
Ms. Subtle
12,179 Posts
have you checked for anything else loose?

it might not even be what you did to the baffles causing it but something loose some where .. however i can see where you would think it might be what you did for the exhaust but it just may be something else

·
Registered
206 Posts
I was gonna say the same thing. Maybe you loosened or knocked something ajar when you were moving the baffles. Or it could be the random coincidence of timing.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Double check your support brace for the pipes and make sure the pipes are not touching the frame any place or that the bracket is not near either end grounding out.

·
Registered
151 Posts
I have had a vibration for the last 2 weeks. Stopped by the dealer to day and they want me to leave my bike for 4 days, so I will try to fix myself.

I have change nothing on my bike, it does if at any rpm and if you pull the clutch in while going down the road it goes away. So I guess I will check to see if all my motor mounts are tight. Any other Ideas? Let us know if you fix yours.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
thanks for the replys,i'll double check everything but its just odd to me that it started after i fooled with the exhaust......would the packing in the exhaust have anything to do with it?

·
Premium Member
2,312 Posts
cat_daddy said:
its just odd to me that it started after i fooled with the exhaust......would the packing in the exhaust have anything to do with it?

I experienced more vibration with different types of exhaust setups on my bike. Self modded stock pipes being the worst.

Its all to do with the back pressure, if you have unwrapped the packing and re-wrapped it, i doubt if you can get it exactly as the factory did, thus changing the back pressure characteristics and there is where your problem lies.
dont wrap it around too tight as there will be spaces left between the inner and outer baffles.
i would suggest to buy some new fibreglass packing or muffler packing and dont wind it round too tight.
let me know how it works out.

·
SNAFU
13,094 Posts
CRAZY CLIVE said:
I experienced more vibration with different types of exhaust setups on my bike. Self modded stock pipes being the worst.

Its all to do with the back pressure, if you have unwrapped the packing and re-wrapped it, i doubt if you can get it exactly as the factory did, thus changing the back pressure characteristics and there is where your problem lies.
dont wrap it around too tight as there will be spaces left between the inner and outer baffles.
i would suggest to buy some new fibreglass packing or muffler packing and dont wind it round too tight.
let me know how it works out.
I agree with Clive. I've had 4 different pipes on my '03 and each one changed the vibration characteristics of the bike with the SuperTrapp being the highest vibration.

Loosen all the exhaust clamps and giggle the system to let it find it's set point, the point where nothing is binding. Then, tighten it up starting at the front. This should eliminate any binding or contact issues. If that doesn't help them rework the packing making sure the packing is uniform. Stainless Steel wool makes a great packing material is you can find it in sheet form.

·
Registered
11 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
what about taking the packing out?Wouldn't be as much back pressure would it.Would it hurt the engine to run with out the packing?I might just buy a set of stock pipes off of ebay,but i don't know if the stock pipes would clear my harley saddle bags and if i could still use the passinger floor boards.Oh well,i'll do something,right now its the big black vibrator:mad:

1 - 9 of 9 Posts