Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This part was on my magnetic oil plug when I changed the oil in my 2003 VROD. I think it might have broken off the transmission. Does anyone recognize it? I need to find the part number. It has a "6" or "9" stamped on the end.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Debris large enough to have part numbers ?!!

First guess secondary cam chain tensioner shim. Second guess cam bucket shim, but two of those side by side are needed to be the same diameter as a penny. I don't see anything in the gearbox that looks like that but other guys here on the site may know more than me - looks like the wear around the outside indicates a spring or the end of a shaft that is hollow rubbing it, hence my first choice. Funny thing is guys joke about finding debris large enough to have part numbers on it on their magnetic plugs, but you actually did ! :notworth: Not funny thing is it got beat up getting to the magnetic plug so wonder what if anything else got bent, damaged, etc. Any other metal on the magnetic plug ? :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
First guess secondary cam chain tensioner shim. Second guess cam bucket shim, but two of those side by side are needed to be the same diameter as a penny. I don't see anything in the gearbox that looks like that but other guys here on the site may know more than me - looks like the wear around the outside indicates a spring or the end of a shaft that is hollow rubbing it, hence my first choice. Funny thing is guys joke about finding debris large enough to have part numbers on it on their magnetic plugs, but you actually did ! :notworth: Not funny thing is it got beat up getting to the magnetic plug so wonder what if anything else got bent, damaged, etc. Any other metal on the magnetic plug ? :blahblah: :D
There wasn't anything else on the magnetic plug but this. The Harley parts counter looked at their box of shims to see if it matched any and it did not. Thanks for you input.

·
Registered
822 Posts
This part was on my magnetic oil plug when I changed the oil in my 2003 VROD. I think it might have broken off the transmission. Does anyone recognize it? I need to find the part number. It has a "6" or "9" stamped on the end.
Probably of no help, but I have seen this part in a pic before, either on this site or one of the Facebook groups. Came out on the drain plug the same. Exactly the same with a number stamped. Is definitely not a valve shim because they are much harder material than that appears to be and they are not stamped.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Probably of no help, but I have seen this part in a pic before, either on this site or one of the Facebook groups. Came out on the drain plug the same. Exactly the same with a number stamped. Is definitely not a valve shim because they are much harder material than that appears to be and they are not stamped.
Thanks for the tip. I'll start scouring the forum to see if I can find who else has had to deal with this.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
F.Y.I. the secondary tensioner shim P/N is 40095-01K and I know RustyG among many others here on the site has experience with setting that secondary cam chains tension with the tool P/N HD-45334 and adding shims to get rid of the start-up rattle. What doesn't make sense is how someone could drop that shim inside the engine as its on the outside cap end of the tensioner, so it may be something else ? Someone here will know. If you still have the oil filter I would open it up ( a sharp chisel around the base will do it if you don't have a cutter, and wear thick gloves ) and inspect for any small non metallic debris like aluminum. Hopefully you lucked out. Recheck at next oil change, shorter interval though. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There are no numbers on the secondary shims, just plain old machine marks on both sides.
Ron
Are you saying that this is not a secondary shim because of the number on it?

·
Registered
822 Posts
Just a thought, there isn't any kind of filter bypass valve fitted in this engine is there? Seen similar looking things to that in by pass valves on other engines. Maybe one of the guys who is well versed in v rod engine rebuilds might know.

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Finally, the missing 6th Gear !

Man, that's a small 6th gear, with no teeth ! Probably explains why when I shift into it there ain't no 6th gear there and I 'm just stuck with 5th, same RRM. :) So I don't see any shims like that in the oil pump and like Ron says the secondary cam chain shim is not numbered, just machine marks, which makes sense since you add the SAME shim once or twice to adjust it. Cam bucket tappet shims are numbered, but like 2.60 (M.M.) not 6 or 9 plus they are 1/2 the size of a penny. To the great and all knowing OZ of all V Rods out there - we await your infinite wisdom ! Pick up the white courtesy phone please ! Call Scott Fitzgerald, Fitzgerald Motorsports Greenville OH or Ray Vreeland, Vreeland H-D Bloomsburg PA or maybe Stever975 the moderator here can chime in with knowledge - Hey it's a Monday give it a few days - other guys know but they are out riding since it's not snowing. :blahblah: :D

·
Registered
1,937 Posts
Since you now there are bits floating around in there; We did a group buy a couple years ago for the Dimple magnets ( oil filter & drain plug) The filter ones are most effective but even the drain plug is about 50X stronger than the stock piece. Do a search & watch the videos.

·
Premium Member
11,205 Posts
Secondary tensioner shims

Here is a couple of secondary cam tensioner shims. No numbers on them.

Attachments

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Hey RustyG whats the diameter of that shim ? It looks close to what he's got there but yours is machined and sharp edged, looks hardened. His looks softer, rounded edges, like something off a cheap tool. Who Knows ? I would inspect the old filter, if good fly it and watch it - recheck the filter in a hundred miles or so. That's what I like about the K&P Engineering filter - got a possible issue ? Pull the filter, pop it apart, inspect for debris, check its rare earth magnet, clean & re-install. Easy Breasy - no chisel with gloves, big mess or high $ filter cutter or trip for a new disposable filter required. I'm gonna check those dimple magnets SwampBoogieDoug - :blahblah: :D

·
The Hawk
3,755 Posts
Looks like the plug in the cam chain tensioner. They have been known to blow out on occasion. Easy to check, pull the alternator side cover off and take a look.

Mike

·
Premium Member
1,274 Posts
Elgavilan thanks now we are getting somewhere ! By blow out are you saying there is oil pressure behind this plug ? Why the circular wear evidence on it - think it was spinning in place and whatever holds it in like a circlip or swaged over the edge of it metal fell out or wore out ? It does look like it has cam chain marks ( side by side ) on it, but maybe something else made those marks - you think it could fall into the cam chain if it blew out ? Thx.

·
Registered
17 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
Thanks to everyone who commented. Unfortunately, I no longer have the oil filter to dissect.

If you were me, what course of action would you take at this point?
1. Keep riding it and hope all hell doesn't break loose in the transmission.
2. Park it and make it a project bike, slowing tearing into the tranny/engine to investigate.
3. ???????

1 - 20 of 47 Posts