Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This just started yesterday. I press Start and I hear the Solenoid click and then All power goes out and will not come back on until I pull the maxi Fuse a few time s then eventually it will light back up...I checked all my Grounds are tight...I disconnected everything from the battery except for the main power cables and still the same thing.

If I turn the Bike to Ignition the Voltage reading across the battery terminals goes to 0.XX but when I turn it Off or to Accessory I get 12v across them.

This started as intermittent meaning that sometimes it would start and then it would just cut the power...Now it will not start with out a push start if I acctually get the instrument panel to light up.

PLEASE PLEASE PLEASE HELP I was supposed to leave for Sturgis this Friday and I have been planning for this forever

:soapbox:

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Make sure the battery is up to par I've seen new batterys that weren't worth a flip, make sure the battery terminals are tight. 02-03 are bad about having a bad connection at the solenoid check, clean and reinstall.

Good luck Greg

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I checked the Solenoid connections and reseated them and even tried Jumping the Solenoid and jumping the Solenoid dose the same thing as the start switch.

I just threw the battery tender at it and with in 20 mins it said it was on storage so I went and turned the key and heard the fuel pump energize but it slowed down at the end like it was loosing power...I think my battery is toast and I just bought it 2 months ago...

One other Note is that I tried to Jump the bike with a Car and the bike never once lost power when I was trying to start it but on the other hand it wouldn't start either.

So I am Lost until I get an exchange on my battery :(

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
If the bike has the original battery its time for a new one. If the battery is real low the tender wont charge it back up.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
If the bike has the original battery its time for a new one. If the battery is real low the tender wont charge it back up.
The Battery is 2 months old.

It is almost as if the Battery just does not have any cranking amps but the voltage is there...Kinda like it has only one good Cell

·
Sharks-Parts
5,659 Posts
I checked the Solenoid connections and reseated them and even tried Jumping the Solenoid and jumping the Solenoid dose the same thing as the start switch.

I just threw the battery tender at it and with in 20 mins it said it was on storage so I went and turned the key and heard the fuel pump energize but it slowed down at the end like it was loosing power...I think my battery is toast and I just bought it 2 months ago...

One other Note is that I tried to Jump the bike with a Car and the bike never once lost power when I was trying to start it but on the other hand it wouldn't start either.

So I am Lost until I get an exchange on my battery :(
A battery tender is not what should be used to charge a dead battery,,, you should use a 1 or 2 amp trickle charger and charge the battery for 10 hours or more... only a 1 or 2 amp charger....

what doe the voltage read on the battery with the terminals UNHOOKED? then hook the terminals up and check the voltage again... then without touching anything check the voltage about 1 hour later and compare the numbers...

let us know what you get..

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
It doesn't matter how old the battery is.The description you just gave after jumping the battery with another vehicle tells me the battery is NFG.
Put a new battery in.Don't play around with charging it.
If the engine won't start,but turns over after the new battery is installed,you've fouled the plugs,so you might want to install a new set of plugs while the battery is already out.If you havn't installed new plugs in 10,000 miles or more,do it now.If you havn't performed any other services in a while,it's best to do them now,instead of on the side of the road in 120 degree heat.

·
Registered
27 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
It was the Battery!!!

It doesn't matter how old the battery is.The description you just gave after jumping the battery with another vehicle tells me the battery is NFG.
Put a new battery in.Don't play around with charging it.
If the engine won't start,but turns over after the new battery is installed,you've fouled the plugs,so you might want to install a new set of plugs while the battery is already out.If you havn't installed new plugs in 10,000 miles or more,do it now.If you havn't performed any other services in a while,it's best to do them now,instead of on the side of the road in 120 degree heat.
I brought the battery in and they swapped it because it would not hold a load...Yes the battery was NFG it just sucks I spent all day troubleshooting it and scratched my starter in the process :( looks like ill be ordering the chrome one after sturgis lol

Thanks for all the help guys and thanks ElrodontheV-Rod for the tip on the plugs I might just swing by Harley after work here and pick up a pair seeing how I have 30+K on the bike and have not changed them :eek:

·
Premium Member
11,280 Posts
I brought the battery in and they swapped it because it would not hold a load...Yes the battery was NFG it just sucks I spent all day troubleshooting it and scratched my starter in the process :( looks like ill be ordering the chrome one after sturgis lol

Thanks for all the help guys and thanks ElrodontheV-Rod for the tip on the plugs I might just swing by Harley after work here and pick up a pair seeing how I have 30+K on the bike and have not changed them :eek:
A can of spray paint would be cheaper than a new starter.

Harley recommends you replace the plugs every 10K miles.

Have a good time in Sturgis.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts