Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay if anyone can help that would be amazing. The battery in the security fob in my 09 DX crapped out so I took it out and replaced it. Now the alarm doesn’t go off when I pull the bike upright but when I turn the ignition knob on everything seems to light up and the dash does it’s check but the neutral light never comes on, the red key never stops it’s normal slow flash and when I turn the run switch on the fuel pump doesn’t turn on. Do need to remarry the fob to the bike? Is there a sequence I don’t know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Okay if anyone can help that would be amazing. The battery in the security fob in my 09 DX crapped out so I took it out and replaced it. Now the alarm doesn’t go off when I pull the bike upright but when I turn the ignition knob on everything seems to light up and the dash does it’s check but the neutral light never comes on, the red key never stops it’s normal slow flash and when I turn the run switch on the fuel pump doesn’t turn on. Do need to remarry the fob to the bike? Is there a sequence I don’t know. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks you
Just a plain old battery change in the fob should have no effect , unless you put in in upside down or the battery is really weak or you are too far away from the bike. Weeker the battery fob the closer to the antenna you need to be. At some point even that won't work . You could try pulling the master fuse for a couple minutes and see if it resets. Normally there are no issues for this need either.
Ron

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yea I checked them all including the maxi 40 in the front near the diag port. Every one of them has power except the fuel pump fuse. I suppose that makes a little sense considering the run switch seems to do nothing Andy that would usually be the moment the fuel pump came online.

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Yea I checked them all including the maxi 40 in the front near the diag port. Every one of them has power except the fuel pump fuse. I suppose that makes a little sense considering the run switch seems to do nothing Andy that would usually be the moment the fuel pump came online.
The Data port is basically 3 wires. Power, ground and signal. Technically with power and ground it will boot up just short of displaying the the signal screen. If you don't see the Dynojet logo on boot up, there has to be a power interrupt some place. Not sure if this would help or not. Swap the fan relay and system relay and see if that makes a difference. Cycle the run switch with key on as well as I've seen them fail too and not supply ground to the system relay. Fuel pump and a couple of other things won't work then.
Ron

· Registered
6,471 Posts
The more I check the more I’m thinking it’s the run/stop switch
Entirely possible and one thing to rule out. My daughters Honda all of a sudden wouldn't start. Eventually found it to be the run switch by accident. Kept flipping it on an off and all of a sudden the starter worked. Corrosion in her case but not sure if the v rod switch is prone to this?

Ron

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
No idea however I did do a bar swap and internal wiring a little while ago and haven’t ridden it since till moving it around today. Might be a bad connection. Thanks for your insight Ron I appreciate the help.

· Registered
6,471 Posts
No idea however I did do a bar swap and internal wiring a little while ago and haven’t ridden it since till moving it around today. Might be a bad connection. Thanks for your insight Ron I appreciate the help.
Quite often, an issue can be traced back to work recently done. Might be one of those cases here. Good place to start looking.
Ron

· Registered
111 Posts
Test the place where wire connects to switch on frame by using screw drive click between both nuts to see if the starter works and run switch to on position if doesn’t start switch if it clicks battery may be weak
Quite often, an issue can be traced back to work recently done. Might be one of those cases here. Good place to start looking.
Ron
Ron

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Thanks Ron. I checked the connections and tested the switch and everything checked out. I soldered the connections to be safe. Still no power to the fuel pump or diagnostic port when the run switch is switched on. Someone suggested the jiffy stand switch failed but I can’t seem to find it on the bike lol

· Premium Member
11,392 Posts
Logan,
Do you have a security siren on the bike?
If yes, with the FOB nearby, move the bike around and shake it. The siren should sound.

If no siren, then do the same thing but watch the turn signals. They should blink furiously..

If either the siren sounds and/or the lights blink then your FOB is not communicating with the HFSM (Hands Free Security Module)

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Rusty..no I don’t have a siren but I did check it. If the fob is away from the bike and I tilt or stand up and roll the bike the flashers/alarm react as expected.

It’s very odd. It was running, then just died out and I thought I saw the alarm flashers go off and I don’t know when’s the fob battery was last changed so I swapped it and now the ignition switch powers the lights and dash but when you throw the run switch on the fuel pump doesn’t prime, starter doesn’t react to the start button and when I plug in the power vision to check for codes the PV never boots up like it normally would

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Do you have power to the system relay and tried swapping it with the fan relay to rule out the relay itself? The ECM provides the ground to the relay as well. Either missing the relay will not work and most likely the reason the Data port and fuel pump won't activate. The Ecm also provides ground to the fuel pump but system relay needs to provide power to the pump as well. Electrical is such a pain in the ass. Guess I don't need to tell you that, at this point? Power and grounds for system relay and ECM should be checked. Check for codes the old fashion way also, via the speedo.
Ron

· Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Copy that Ron. I’m gonna see if I can find any codes when I get home from work. To answer your question yes I did swap the fan for the system relay. After I left the battery on the bike disconnected for about 5 mins I put the terminals back on and when I did the fan activated for a few seconds like it usually does if I disconnect the battery so that made me assume the fan relay was okay and I then swapped them to check. Nada

· Registered
6,471 Posts
Copy that Ron. I’m gonna see if I can find any codes when I get home from work. To answer your question yes I did swap the fan for the system relay. After I left the battery on the bike disconnected for about 5 mins I put the terminals back on and when I did the fan activated for a few seconds like it usually does if I disconnect the battery so that made me assume the fan relay was okay and I then swapped them to check. Nada
Well, since the fans came on with a power hook up, the ECM is getting power then. By the way, this fan start behavior doesn't always happen but in this case it rules out the ECM for now. Power to system relay and grounding via the ECM is where I'd be looking. I'd have to look and go cross eyed in the E manual but I think the power to system relay comes from the ECM. Here's a quick look on what the relay activates as well as the power supply and the grounding at pin #4
Ron

Attachments

1 - 20 of 25 Posts