Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, so making up a hub puller for the future and was wondering how this cover is held on, as in friction or threaded. I've since seen picks of the shaft end and it has a center, which is why I wanted to pull it off in the first place. Looks to me it's a one time deal as it will likely be trash by the time one gets it off. I tried light prying at the base and taped it and tried the rotation trick but neither budged it. Didn't want to damage it so left it in place for now. So, can it be removed and replaced or a new part needed after mangling the shit out of it on removal? I know it can also be tossed as it serves no real purpose.
Ron

·
VRSC est -03
3,095 Posts
Remove sprocket.
Use awl to remove the flange nut lock ring from the drive sprocket flange.
Remove plastic cap.
Lock ring should be reusable.
Manual: transmission-drive sprocket flange.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Book says:
Remove sprocket.
Use awl to remove the flange nut lock ring from the drive sprocket flange.
Remove plastic cap.
Lock ring I understand but the plastic cap needs to come off first. It's how tight is the cap on and can it be reused? Seems mine is on so tight, I'd break it at the flange prying on it is the impression I get, so likely will get scrapped. The vid I have as well as the SM shows lock ring being pressed on but no mention anywhere on that plastic cap for removal or install once the lock ring is pressed in. It's looking like a one time use, as in pry the bitch off by whatever means and just gently tap a new one on after. Actually new lock ring too at the same time. I see no reason to change the nut, just use fresh loctite.
Ron

·
Registered
2,510 Posts
it will pry off,but never be tempted to tap a bearing or shaft as such with a hammer,this is a sure way to damage that bearing.they are robust but not to hitting with a hammer.

·
Registered
5,238 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
it will pry off,but never be tempted to tap a bearing or shaft as such with a hammer,this is a sure way to damage that bearing.they are robust but not to hitting with a hammer.
That's one of the reasons I prefer to make or buy actually tools for the job. I trying to avoid my hammer , chisel and vise grip days of the 1970s, where I didn't know better.
Ron

1 - 5 of 5 Posts