Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone know the composition of the plastic bodywork and how we expect that and the factory paint to hold up over time?

I love the bike and bought it for may reasons. The engine has great reviews, and I like the different styling.

I had a Road king which actually had plastic fender and plastic saddlebags. I was surprised about the fenders.

I have had lots of sportbikes with plastic fairings and they have held up very well.

I have no issues with it or I wouldn't have purchased it.

Some I spoke to commented that they didn't buy the bike due to the plastic bodywork and got the other VROD model which has the metal bodywork.

·
caferacer
5,686 Posts
Which plastic model do you own?

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
VROD Muscle.

I am on the forum group specifically for the muscle aren't I?

Just wondering if someone has learned anything specific as to what was used to create the bodywork and the durability that can be expected of it.

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
My radiator shrouds and front fender are plastic, I assume the same plastic as all the Muscle parts are. No problems to date and you can't tell the difference between the plastic pieces, my steel airbox or my fiberglass rear fender. I'd assume they're made out of ABS and would make an educated guess that they'll be less prone to paint damage from rock impacts etc. Then a metal or fiberglass part is.

·
Registered
22 Posts
i love the Muscle however I have found that the plastic, particularly on the airbox cover is prone to small scatches. I've got quite a few on mine which really annoy me. I'm very careful with my paintwork but it has still scratched much easier than other bikes I've owned.

Does anyone know how to remove scratching?

·
Gone
9,302 Posts
Buff it. The plastic underneath won't have any effect on how it will scratch. Some colors just show minor clearcoat scratches (which will be white) worse than other colors do.

·
Registered
480 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking over time the bodywork on the Muscle may fair better than metal. At least that is what I hope. I hope the paint holds up better too.

I have two small square type dings on the top of the radiator cover. I noticed it a few days after it was services. I clear coated over it since the silver coloring was still there. If you look close you can still notice it. I have suspicions that the technicians caused the damage, but did not pursue talking to them since I drove the bike before I noticed it. Amazingly after each time I brought my bike to the dealer, I noticed small damage to the bike. Unfortunately, it was after I drove it.

I got to a different dealer now and don't have that problem. I have met a few guys that live in my city that don't go to the local dealer and drive the extra distance like I do for much better service with no problems.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts