Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, I am new to HD and test drove 2013 Night Rod Special and started liking HD VROD. I saw a used (second owner) 2003 VRSC V-Rod Anniversary edition for sale and it has 16500 miles.

(1) what is its fair value? ( I don't want to overpay) Is KBB Value is worth considering?
(2) Anything I need to look out before I buy? ( I will ask for service history etc)
(3) Any known issue with this model?

Thanks !

·
Registered
103 Posts
Ponnu , read my enquiry , very similar , further down this page.
save yourself a lot of time and lost opportunity .
These bikes sem to me to be bullett proof ,,,,unless theyve been abused and neglected maintenance wise.
Im as happy as a pig in shyte with mine .
Good luck , Ill keep watching for replies to you question.
Regards Skiddin

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Skiddin,
Thank you. I went and saw the motorcycle today. Surprisingly the second owner does not have any maintenance records.. Let me try to find out more.. The bike seemed OK when I physically looked at it.

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,957 Posts
my bike is a 2003. No problems out of mine.

Things to look for.

1 swing arm bearing, had some go bad. put up on jack and lift up and down feel for grinding.
2 rear pulley bearing. up on jack spin wheel feel for rubbing.
3 coolant return line goes to cap, the nipples breaks off. Pull left vent cover and check
4 steering head bearing, no grease. Up on jack, steer bike left to right and feel for anything not right. it needs to be smooth. Most likely it will need grease anyhow.
5 fork oil, will need to be changed.
6 check fluids in brake and clutch reservoir, black need flushed.
7. check under the airbox to see if it has been changed over to topless. and what air filter is there and what tuner if any and if any are piggybacked.
8 plastic clip for seat, lift up seat and check at the hinge.
9 check belt for condition.
10 condition of tires, make sure thewy are not cupped or worn out.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ponnu , you bought that bike yet??
Just do it .
Skiddin
Skiddin,

Thanks for the follow up, I am in kind of dilemma now. The seller is asking $6K, I have not really checked the motorcycle as some people have pointed out here. The seller does not want to go down more than couple of hundred from asking price. Its either take the bike around $5.8K or leave it .. I am still contemplating since the bearing replacement would run thousand of dollars (I checked with local dealer) - Not sure whether the bearings are bad, the bike has 16.5K miles

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
my bike is a 2003. No problems out of mine.

Things to look for.

1 swing arm bearing, had some go bad. put up on jack and lift up and down feel for grinding.
2 rear pulley bearing. up on jack spin wheel feel for rubbing.
3 coolant return line goes to cap, the nipples breaks off. Pull left vent cover and check
4 steering head bearing, no grease. Up on jack, steer bike left to right and feel for anything not right. it needs to be smooth. Most likely it will need grease anyhow.
5 fork oil, will need to be changed.
6 check fluids in brake and clutch reservoir, black need flushed.
7. check under the airbox to see if it has been changed over to topless. and what air filter is there and what tuner if any and if any are piggybacked.
8 plastic clip for seat, lift up seat and check at the hinge.
9 check belt for condition.
10 condition of tires, make sure thewy are not cupped or worn out.

Hope this helps
RSC, This really helps:thumb:..let me see how much I can really check without annoying the seller..

·
Registered
103 Posts
You can always suggest a purchase price to the owner , dependant upon a favourable pre purchase apraisal to you, then have a local dealer do all the suggested checks , now that 's being totally objective .
If the vendor isnt happy for you to do that , then I'd say go no further , due to there being NO SERVICE RECORDS ,,,wtf??

Regards Skiddin

·
Registered
103 Posts
Here's a real "curve ball" for ya Ponnu.
When I was contemplating buying a v rod , I was looking at an 03' with 29,000 MILES and no bling , no records , no registration and 5 owners . It was in good condition.
The actual bike I bought is an '03 with 6K of bling and only done 6,300 miles , registered $635p/a , 1 owner , complete set of records since new including Dyno sheets for modifications , tool cabinet , all the original rod parts , PC111included. And a garage jack, flexible lock , disc lock . It is immaculate .
It cost $1000.00 LESS than the original bike I looked at !!
My point is this , YOU must be happy with whatever you pay for the bike . If the seller is also happy (as in my case) , then thats a huge bonus in my book.
Sure I got a very well priced bike , the vendor was happy, he needed out !!
Im stoked with my toy, I bought it for a price Im happy with :moped:
Regards Skiddin

·
Premium Member
1,063 Posts
Skiddin and I both got our '03's about the same time. He's got the Kiwi cousin to mine...lol.

I'd suggest a pre purchase inspection. Seller shouldn't have a problem with it unless he's got something to hide.

·
Pat (Patrick!)
11,222 Posts
Skiddin,
I am still contemplating since the bearing replacement would run thousand of dollars (I checked with local dealer) -
$1000.00? Are they replacing every Bearing on the Bike?:banghead:

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
That is a good list but I am a little confused by your comment "annoy the seller". Arent you gonna pay him for the bike if it all checks out? You are in the driver's seat!
I had checked up the the motorcycle once (I did not ride it though). He feels that the motorcycle is perfect not really coming up with any proof like service record to support that. He just told me his price and asking me to take it, If I take the bike to the dealer to check out and return it with out buying it (in-case I find out that it has numerous issue). He may be annoyed .. wait a minute.. hey you are right, I am the one who is buying..I gonna pay only if everything alright. I believe that its my personality ..:(

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Here's a real "curve ball" for ya Ponnu.
When I was contemplating buying a v rod , I was looking at an 03' with 29,000 MILES and no bling , no records , no registration and 5 owners . It was in good condition.
The actual bike I bought is an '03 with 6K of bling and only done 6,300 miles , registered $635p/a , 1 owner , complete set of records since new including Dyno sheets for modifications , tool cabinet , all the original rod parts , PC111included. And a garage jack, flexible lock , disc lock . It is immaculate .
It cost $1000.00 LESS than the original bike I looked at !!
My point is this , YOU must be happy with whatever you pay for the bike . If the seller is also happy (as in my case) , then thats a huge bonus in my book.
Sure I got a very well priced bike , the vendor was happy, he needed out !!
Im stoked with my toy, I bought it for a price Im happy with :moped:
Regards Skiddin
Skiddin,
If I end up buying this motorcycle, you could be one of the reasons..:) I have two options, either wait for another one, or take this one to a dealer , get it inspected and buy it. I planning to do the later. I will keep you posted.. I just want to have a V-ROD..

·
Registered
106 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Skiddin and I both got our '03's about the same time. He's got the Kiwi cousin to mine...lol.

I'd suggest a pre purchase inspection. Seller shouldn't have a problem with it unless he's got something to hide.
Alestex, I agree , I am planning to do that during this weekend..let us see what is going to come out..

·
Killer Service Inc.
8,957 Posts
Hell come to Ohio and I will charge you 300.00 to replace them.

It is not that hard or expensive to replace the bearings.

1000.00 is BullShit.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts