Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I am going to meet some friends in Kelowna, BC on the 7th of Sept. for the weekend. I decided that I would take my bike and make a trip out of it. This will be my first long trip on my bike and I will be going solo. I am planning on leaving my house in Fruita, CO on the morning of Wednesday the 5th to arrive in Kelowna, BC on the afternoon of the 7th. I will be staying in Kelowna from Sept. 7-9, leaving the morning of the 10th to return home hopefully arriving home on the night of the 12th. According to google maps it is 1210 miles leaving CO, going thru Salt Lake City, Boise, up I-84 thru Oregon to I-90 thru Kennewick, WA and straight north into Canada. Of course Google maps uses the fastest route using all interstate. I would like to make an adventure out of it but I do have a fairly strict time frame but at the same time if I plan it right I should be able to get the best of both worlds!. On the way home I was thinking of going east thru Canada over to Creston then maybe south on 95, cross back into the US, go south and east thru the mountains to Kallispell, MT south to Missoula then work my way south down through Yellowstone into Utah past Vernal and back to Colorado.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows any good sights, side tracked highways, good places to eat etc. from CO to Canada and back along these suggested routes that would turn this into more of an adventure than 20+ hours (one way) of Interstate riding. At this point I am in the infant stages of planning and I would love to hear from as many people as possible about highways to avoid, weather thru Washington, Oregon & Montana in early September, landmarks and sights to see, tips & tricks, so I can have a very well laid plan by the time I am ready to go. I am open to all suggestions at this point. I am currently planning on 350-550 miles a day (give or take a few). I would like to balance the trip out with 50% being about the journey and the other 50% being about the destination (to keep me on track).

I have used the search function for the last week regarding long trips and here is what I have so far.

1. Plan, plan, plan.
2. Stay hydrated.
3. Layer clothing for cold to hot and back.
4. Don't over estimate driving capabilites and hours of driving per day.
5. Start early and end early to avoid running into fully booked hotels and turning a 400 mile day into a 600 mile day.
6. Check tires in the evening in case maintenance is needed.
7. Travel as light as possible. Only take the clothes you will wear and take throw away underwear and sock, t-shirts.
8. I will be hardwiring my GPS and installing it behind my roadster fairing.
9. I also need to wire a powerpoint for my cellphone.
10. Will be replacing tires with Avon Cobras before the trip.

Here is what I have so far for a supply list. I will be taking my Harley Saddlebags, a large T-Bag and another frame bag on the passenger seat that will double as a back rest.

Contents will contain:

1. Basic tool kit containing Vrod pertinent tools.
2. Tire repair kit with CO2 cartridges.
3. Rain Gear with boot covers.
4. Waterproof gloves
5. 30oz. fuel can
6. Lighter
7. Zip-ties, duct tape, elec. tape.
8. Shield cleaner and microfiber towels.
9. 1 quart of oil.
10. Ear plugs, chapstick, sunblock and Advil.
11. Mag flashlight.
12. Maybe some bungees.
13. Helmet will be my Bell 500 with Shield.
14. Riding clothes will be worn all days on the way there then washed and worn home (unless wet). Remaining clothes will be pertinent to weekend activities consisting of golf and the beach.

What am I missing??

:thumb:

·
Registered
1,884 Posts
So I am going to meet some friends in Kelowna, BC on the 7th of Sept. for the weekend. I decided that I would take my bike and make a trip out of it. This will be my first long trip on my bike and I will be going solo. I am planning on leaving my house in Fruita, CO on the morning of Wednesday the 5th to arrive in Kelowna, BC on the afternoon of the 7th. I will be staying in Kelowna from Sept. 7-9, leaving the morning of the 10th to return home hopefully arriving home on the night of the 12th. According to google maps it is 1210 miles leaving CO, going thru Salt Lake City, Boise, up I-84 thru Oregon to I-90 thru Kennewick, WA and straight north into Canada. Of course Google maps uses the fastest route using all interstate. I would like to make an adventure out of it but I do have a fairly strict time frame but at the same time if I plan it right I should be able to get the best of both worlds!. On the way home I was thinking of going east thru Canada over to Creston then maybe south on 95, cross back into the US, go south and east thru the mountains to Kallispell, MT south to Missoula then work my way south down through Yellowstone into Utah past Vernal and back to Colorado.

I would love to hear from anyone who knows any good sights, side tracked highways, good places to eat etc. from CO to Canada and back along these suggested routes that would turn this into more of an adventure than 20+ hours (one way) of Interstate riding. At this point I am in the infant stages of planning and I would love to hear from as many people as possible about highways to avoid, weather thru Washington, Oregon & Montana in early September, landmarks and sights to see, tips & tricks, so I can have a very well laid plan by the time I am ready to go. I am open to all suggestions at this point. I am currently planning on 350-550 miles a day (give or take a few). I would like to balance the trip out with 50% being about the journey and the other 50% being about the destination (to keep me on track).

I have used the search function for the last week regarding long trips and here is what I have so far.

1. Plan, plan, plan.
2. Stay hydrated.
3. Layer clothing for cold to hot and back.
4. Don't over estimate driving capabilites and hours of driving per day.
5. Start early and end early to avoid running into fully booked hotels and turning a 400 mile day into a 600 mile day.
6. Check tires in the evening in case maintenance is needed.
7. Travel as light as possible. Only take the clothes you will wear and take throw away underwear and sock, t-shirts.
8. I will be hardwiring my GPS and installing it behind my roadster fairing.
9. I also need to wire a powerpoint for my cellphone.
10. Will be replacing tires with Avon Cobras before the trip.

Here is what I have so far for a supply list. I will be taking my Harley Saddlebags, a large T-Bag and another frame bag on the passenger seat that will double as a back rest.

Contents will contain:

1. Basic tool kit containing Vrod pertinent tools.
2. Tire repair kit with CO2 cartridges.
3. Rain Gear with boot covers.
4. Waterproof gloves
5. 30oz. fuel can
6. Lighter
7. Zip-ties, duct tape, elec. tape.
8. Shield cleaner and microfiber towels.
9. 1 quart of oil.
10. Ear plugs, chapstick, sunblock and Advil.
11. Mag flashlight.
12. Maybe some bungees.
13. Helmet will be my Bell 500 with Shield.
14. Riding clothes will be worn all days on the way there then washed and worn home (unless wet). Remaining clothes will be pertinent to weekend activities consisting of golf and the beach.

What am I missing??

:thumb:
All I think you will need is just a few prayers and I`ll be praying for you to have a safe trip.

·
Registered
264 Posts
You should come with us to KC for Homecoming 2010 instead of your trip so you won't have to travel alone! As far as packing, we just take 5 t-shirts, 1 pair jeans, 5 underwear & socks (wash on the 4th or 5th day), rain gear and electric vest/gloves. You can get the other stuff on the road if you need it. We usually do 500+ miles per day because we have short vacation time also. As far as planning the route, just go where the winding road takes you - flip a coin. It's more fun that way. Ask a local on one of your stops. Enjoy, keep us posted and keep the rubber side down!

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
Columbian Ice Fields
Banff
Glacier National Park
US 93 thru northern Idaho
Craters of the Moon
Tetons
Yellowstone

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
I would highly recommend that you take WA state Hiway 21 instead of Hiway 97 north to the border crossing at Oroville/Osoyoos - lots of traffic on 97 and often long waits at Osoyoos border crossing. From Kennewick you could take 395 up to 21 and head straight north on 21 to the Danville border crossing and then BC hiway 3 west to Rock creek and right on Hiway 33 which takes you right in to Kelowna. Hiway 97 in BC will be VERY busy with trucks, trailers, motorhomes, etc.
If you have time you should ride up the Grand Coulee to the Grand Coulee Dam from Soap Lake.-might take an extra one to two hours travelling time, but well worth the trip. Take 28 west to Soap Lake from Odessa (41 miles) and then from Grand Coulee Dam take 174 southeast to 21 and then north on 21 to the Keller Ferry - lots of very tight twisties and a free ferry ride across Lake Roosevelt. Check your maps and you'll see the route suggested.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I would highly recommend that you take WA state Hiway 21 instead of Hiway 97 north to the border crossing at Oroville/Osoyoos - lots of traffic on 97 and often long waits at Osoyoos border crossing. From Kennewick you could take 395 up to 21 and head straight north on 21 to the Danville border crossing and then BC hiway 3 west to Rock creek and right on Hiway 33 which takes you right in to Kelowna. Hiway 97 in BC will be VERY busy with trucks, trailers, motorhomes, etc.
If you have time you should ride up the Grand Coulee to the Grand Coulee Dam from Soap Lake.-might take an extra one to two hours travelling time, but well worth the trip. Take 28 west to Soap Lake from Odessa (41 miles) and then from Grand Coulee Dam take 174 southeast to 21 and then north on 21 to the Keller Ferry - lots of very tight twisties and a free ferry ride across Lake Roosevelt. Check your maps and you'll see the route suggested.
This is great info and exactly what I am looking for!! I am going to plan this route into my trip. Looks like a great ride! Thanks!!:cheers:

·
Registered
1,016 Posts
If you get a chance to rent it, watch the PBS Nova special MYSTERY OF THE MEGAFLOOD to get the history of how the Grand Coulee was formed and background on the area. Really outstanding!
I attached a few pictures of Banks Lake in the Grand Coulee.

Attachments

·
Registered
435 Posts
Columbian Ice Fields
Banff
Glacier National Park
US 93 thru northern Idaho
Craters of the Moon
Tetons
Yellowstone
+1 on this.
If you really head east from BC, you HAVE TO ride the icefield parkway, which connects Jasper and Banff national parks. It's stunning. You can even stop at the Columbia icefield and take the 'monster truck bus' up onto the glacier. It's actually really cool. The rest of the suggestions are really good as well. (craters of the moon is kind of boring if you have seen a lava field before).

Should be a great ride.
Have fun.

Sent from my Motorcycle iPhone app

·
Registered
655 Posts
Just make sure the thumb wheel on the Harley throttle lock hasent fallen off before you set out.Yup happened to me and I was pissed as soon as I hit the super slab.I did find a screw that fit at a Canadian tire but It just wasn't the same.Lube your shifter,brake peddle ,throttle cable,hand levers and linkages on the throttle bodies as well,everybody forgets to do that.Good luck have fun and be safe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
You have to take the West Road from Kelowna(westbank) to Vernon then head east on HWY 6 thru Lumby and take the needles ferry across to Nakusp then make your way south from there . If you like non stop curves and switchbacks its some off the best.

·
EXCELSIOR
8,374 Posts
Whisky, for the nightly cool down. And real glasses to drink it from, it disolves the glue in paper cups and plastic is tacky.

350 miles is about maximum if you actually want to see things and enjoy the trip.
Plan your route out in advance based on that but leave the cushion to have time to experience and see things you didn't expect because there will be some.

·
V's and Z's
4,093 Posts
+1 on this.
If you really head east from BC, you HAVE TO ride the icefield parkway, which connects Jasper and Banff national parks. It's stunning. You can even stop at the Columbia icefield and take the 'monster truck bus' up onto the glacier. It's actually really cool. The rest of the suggestions are really good as well. (craters of the moon is kind of boring if you have seen a lava field before).

Should be a great ride.
Have fun.

That's what I meant by Columbian Ice Fields. The drive from Banff to Jasper is full of glaciers, glacier melt lakes (you wanna see Lake Louise), towering mountains and mountain waterfalls. It's the most beautiful place I've ever seen and I can't call the Blue Ridge Mountains "mountains" since I've been to that place.

I'll fly and ride it someday.

·
Premium Member
102 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
+1 on this.

Should be a great ride.
Have fun.

Dynamo78,

I didn't mention it in my post but I am from Canada originally and have been to Banff, Revelstoke, Fernie, Golden etc. etc. I would love to go through there again with my bike but I don't think I am going to have time this trip. I used to live in Red Deer, Ab so if I was going as far as Banff I would head to Red Deer and visit my friends. Thanks for the suggestion though, beautiful country through there. The Rocky Mountains just aren't the same down here in Colorado, close but not the same. Where did you get your tank bag from and does it damage the denim finish when you use it? What kind is it and do you like it?

·
Registered
16 Posts
Dynamo78,

I didn't mention it in my post but I am from Canada originally and have been to Banff, Revelstoke, Fernie, Golden etc. etc. I would love to go through there again with my bike but I don't think I am going to have time this trip. I used to live in Red Deer, Ab so if I was going as far as Banff I would head to Red Deer and visit my friends. Thanks for the suggestion though, beautiful country through there. The Rocky Mountains just aren't the same down here in Colorado, close but not the same. Where did you get your tank bag from and does it damage the denim finish when you use it? What kind is it and do you like it?
You're Canadian EH?

·
Registered
435 Posts
Dynamo78,

Where did you get your tank bag from and does it damage the denim finish when you use it? What kind is it and do you like it?
Rapid Transit Recon Tank Bag.
Got it from 'riders discount' via this forum. They have a vendors page I believe. I just kind of stumbled on it and figured I try it out. I haven't seen any damage from it on the paint. Just have to make sure it's dirt free before you put it on. Works good. The only thing that is done badly, is the phone pocket, which is way to small to fit an. iPhone in any kind of protective case. Otherwise it does it's job and was only around $60 I believe ( can't remember).

·
redneckgearhead
267 Posts
Camera? unless you have a good one on your phone.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts