Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Northern Rod
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know the proper way to install a new pivot bearing on a 06 vrsca. Just bought a new chrome swing arm off ebay but it did not come with bearing. Need part # of bearing, I think it is a 9208 but not sure. I live 450 miles from the nearest dealer, so i have to install it myself. Thanks :banghead::banghead::banghead:

·
Premium Member
6,248 Posts
Anyone know the proper way to install a new pivot bearing on a 06 vrsca. Just bought a new chrome swing arm off ebay but it did not come with bearing. Need part # of bearing, I think it is a 9208 but not sure. ...
Yes, the swingarm left side pivot bearing is HD # 9208. There is also a right side plain bushing (HD # 48389-01) but this may already be installed.

The proper way to install both the left side spherical bearing and the right side plain bushing is with a bearing remover/installer. This is a long fine threaded bolt (forcing screw) with a thrust bearing (called a nice bearing), a nut and washer, and appropriately sized "distance pieces". One distance piece is sized to the outside diameter of the bearing but smaller than the inside diameter of the bearing bore in the swingarm. The other is sized to fit against the swingarm pivot housing. Another technique is to use a hydraulic press instead of the forcing screw.

The left side bearing is installed from the outside and pushed in towards the centerline it will stop moving when it reaches a counter-bore in the swingarm pivot housing. The right side plain bushing is also installed from the outside and pushed in towards the centerline. There is no counter-bore on the right side that the plain bushing fits against. It should be centered in the right side pivot housing bore.

Be sure to lubricate the swingarm pivot housing bore, the outer bearing surface, and the forcing screw threads before installing (I use motor oil).

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
Changed the right side bushing of my swingarm last week.
Went out without problems, I used a self made extractor (long bolt and suitable distance pieces), very simple, as stever wrote.
I used a hydraulic press to push the new one in, it's important to make sure that it doesn't jam in the beginning, must be well aligned when you start.

The left side is quite difficult, if you never did something similar (or have two left hands) ;) , then I would recommend you to get it done by a workshop.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts