Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So I have the dealer install the bearings into my chrome swingarm and I get the thing home and attempt to push the pivot bolt from right to left and as it goes through the left pivot bearing the outside tapered bearing and dust seal fall right out! WTF? Is this normal?:banghead:

Should these things be on this loose? I took a close look and both races are in there correct. It seems like the small c-clip bearing spacer was obstructing the hole and caused the bearing to push out as I inserted the bolt.

I can put the bearing in by hand but was wondering if it needs a good hammering OCC style or if it's suppose to rest loose like that and then tighten when the pivot bolt gets tightened down.

Please help. I want to get this damn thing on tonight.

·
# 12/50 Ignite LE
2,913 Posts
The only thing holding the tapered roller bearings in the swingarm are the dust seals (on the '02 -'04 swingarms). So they prolly did not have the outside dust seal seated fully and the pivot shaft snagged the bearing or the small c-clip when you pushed the pivot shaft through (just as you stated). Use the bearing grease to hold the small c-clip spacer centered, re-install bearing and dust seal then try to remount the swingarm. No need to OCC w/the BFH!!

·
Premium Member
1,031 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks, I was getting a little worried there for a second.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts