Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just acquired this 2003 V on a trade. The front lower forks are pitted/oxidized/ugly. Is there a cheap easy fix: i.e., way to clean it off? I've tried "Mothers" Aluminum Cleaner and a few other cleaners,,,,nothin' !!!

Before you say it, I don't want to spend $$$ on new chrome ones.
I'm actually considering hitting them with some fine sandpaper. IF they end up with a "brushed aluminum" look, and it's fairly uniform, that would be much better than the look they sport now, which is kinda like an "aluminum with acne" look !

Thanks for any help/advice !

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I used the search engine and actually found some good info. I posted this here before using the search function, as I've read how bad it is. but it actually found me some great info.
Thanks !!!

·
Premium Member
1,053 Posts
Does it look like little spider webs? If so then the ugly bit is under the clear coat and to clean it up the clear coat must be striped off. Then you can polish.

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
It doesn't look to me that the fork lowers are clear coated???
The marks are about .250 diameter and you might say they look like spider webs.

They will come off with some sanding and then buffing. Lotsa work tho', so what's the easy way?

·
Registered
1,530 Posts
The front lower forks are pitted/oxidized/ugly.

Is there a cheap easy fix: i.e., way to clean it off?

I've tried "Mothers" Aluminum Cleaner and a few other cleaners,,,,nothin' !!!!
Sounds like it is under the clear coat.

Only because you asked....jack the bike up, remove the wheel, brakes, and fender, sand the sliders (400+ wet with soapy water), rattle can them black (auto touch up, not rustoleum). No, it won't hold up like powder coat, but it will be faster and less work than stripping and polishing. (Yes, tape off anything you don't want painted.)

·
Greg/Moderator
18,951 Posts
Greg,
Do you do it all by hand or use a palm sander or something?
I started with 60 grit paper wrapped around a dry wall sand sponge and worked my way up to 600. The lowers are wavy as the Atlantic oceans and takes a while to get them smooth, I finished them on my buffer.

Look at my galley those lowers are polished not chrome, I may send a set off one day to be chromed but I won't pay HD prices for wavy crap.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
Ever see a set of lowers that were just so perfectly chromed they looked liquid?
This was from smoothing them out before each layer was applied.

·
durata membro
17,603 Posts
When you are just trying to get hard stains out of the bare engine cases on the late model engines,use the product in the picture.VrodG gave me this half tube a couple of years ago when I thought my cases were trashed.It works great to start with on tarnished,non pitted aluminum.
It takes some effort to get the cases in shape because of the amount magnesium used in the alloy,but once you get the stains out w this product,a follow up w Mothers Billet Polish will keep them in shape.
If you wait more than about 6 months to keep on top of engine cases,you have to start from scratch.

Be careful using products that contain abrasives on chrome.Be sure to use products specifically for polishing chrome.

Attachments

·
Registered
245 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
40 and rainy out, so I lit the heater in the garage and am going out now to clean up these fork lowers.
I appreciate the advice and can't wait to get them done. The bike is mint , other than these. It's a 2003 with only 5K miles. Remember, I just got it 2 weeks ago from an 80 year old gentleman from Florida. I replaced the tires this week, the originals were dry rotted.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts