Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 125 Posts

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So every time you mention that you want to lower your R the R Freaks go into this flipping frenzy about "why'd you buy an R if you want to lower it...why would you give up the lean angle?" Well the answer to Why I Bought An R is "I ****ed up" The answer to Why Don't You Just Sell It And Move On is "coz no one wants to buy the turd.....it's an R".

Now let's talk about the vaunted lean angle. If you lower the R a bit you lose lean angle but gain a lower center of gravity right? If you throw on some Buell 17" wheels you will lower it a bit more, but gain the ability to put on some real sticky tires. Seems to me, if you combine those two with some aggressive riding style such as hanging off the side of the bike you would be able to offset the loss of lean angle at the least, and maybe actually gain ability. Shed some weight and you are starting to really make some gains.

What sayeth thou?

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
You dumbasses, what part of "no one wants to buy it" was in a foreign language that you don't understand? Y'all are just trolling me.

Anyway, it is an intellectual question as to how handling would be affected by lowering the center of gravity and gaining better tires. Not a "should I sell it" whine....I already did that one.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I'm not talking about my bike per se. I am just trying to get an engineering discussion started.....ahh f **** it, I give up.

Hey, what about them ________________________________ (<--- insert sport team here)!

·
Resident Tugboat Cpt
4,443 Posts
I think you might have something there Mike. Now if you could match that set up with a good set of springs for your rear shocks, you definately would have a mean ride.

·
1130cc Ninja
3,972 Posts
ever think about making it black? then someone might be dumb enough to buy it... but tell them the r is the race ready bike and hope they dont know the difference..

or you could put some type r badges on it and sell it on ebay

·
Sanctimonious
44,118 Posts
LOOK WHINEY McGEE for the LAST Time, Yes you made the biggest mistake of your horrid life the day you bought that thing, everyone agrees (Except the 13 other "R" owners here) Fine its done. ITS INSURED, THROW IT OFF A CLIFF, Scrape your knees and elbows and find someone to Punch you square in the face (I will do it for free by the way) so you look hurt and call the insurance Co. ASAP, Everyday you keep that thing the lower the pay out will be!

·
Posting From The Pub
7,850 Posts
Can one get the seat height back to normal on the frame?

Personally, my favourite V-Rod would be an R with a normal seating position and controls. The controls are easy enough to do - new frame lower sections I gather - but I dunno about the seat.

If you are an enthusiastic rider, it will ground at the standard ride height. Fortunately my riding style is slow in, fast out, but I still touch my AW in uncomfortably often.

·
Registered
2,297 Posts
lower center of gravity equals better control imho. my D is long and low and while i scrape a lot of shit cornering hard (that is when i can keep the rubber down, ugh) it flows nicely with my body movements. yeah, if you have to keep it, lower it for sure. screw the elitist R guys who would hate on you for it. i think you'd like the ride much more that way. just my 2..

·
Premium Member
13,005 Posts
Oh just go on and lower the damn thing. Screw the lean angle and learn to slow down a little...

You want a bike with a good lean angle, buy a crotch rocket. Any of them can pass you anywhere in a corner they want to. They'll just never look as cool as you.

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Mike for goodness sake, I'll give you a $100 for the bike just so you don't have to look at it any more. It needs a good home. If I were you I wouldn't ride the bike any more because it can sense you don't like it and it's liable to hurt you given the chance. :)

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Max said:
Mike for goodness sake, I'll give you a $100 for the bike just so you don't have to look at it any more. It needs a good home. If I were you I wouldn't ride the bike any more because it can sense you don't like it and it's liable to hurt you given the chance. :)
I'd match Max's donation to the 'Save Gazoo and his R from Each Other" fund. Once we reach a reasonable $$, we ALL get together and run it off a cliff. Or give the damn thing to Kaz and let HIM blow it up...

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
Alex honestly I really like the R as a fun bike and would really like to have one but don't have the funds. I just hate to see Mike keep it being so unhappy with it.

·
Cranky Old Bastard
6,904 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
No No No No No No No No No !!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :spank: :spank: :spank: :spank:

This has NOTHING to do with MY R!!!

I am simply interested in discussing an engineering principle. i.e. can one gain pure cornering ability while reducing available lean angle due to lowering the center of gravity and mass and the application of tire compounds previously unavailable. If so, how much can one get in tradeoff.
This question applies as much to the guys that slam their bikes as to a certain persons green motorcycle.

I LIKE my R now that it is lowered a bit. I enjoy riding it and it will be much better once I get some proper springs on it. I should not have referred to the R Elite in my original post. This thread ISNT about my bike

·
Registered
5,869 Posts
Max said:
Alex honestly I really like the R as a fun bike and would really like to have one but don't have the funds. I just hate to see Mike keep it being so unhappy with it.
I actually went into the dealership to buy an R - and wound up with a D. It wasn't a slam-dunk decision, either - just that I was looking for an all-purpose bike and the D fit that need for me a bit better.

1 - 20 of 125 Posts