Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Big Rooster
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone been experiencing front pipe glow at higher rpm's.I had this problem with the power commander and the race tuner.Both were tuned on a dyno by different dealers more than once.I'm also getting decel popping and i don't have any exhaust leaks,I'm running a stock front pipe with force slip ons.I would say it's runnin lean.

·
Big Rooster
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
ok cool thanks!!!:moon:

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Sorry, I didn't see this post until now.

The first thing to do is take a look at the AFR's at that rpm in that gear. You need to have a tuner with a load dyno to simulate that effect.

If the dealer doesn't have the right equiptment to do this, then you need to find one that does. If you can't then consider getting a WEGOIID with Twinscan II+ to do the readings yourself.

RJ

·
Big Rooster
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
The guy said the dyno had some eddie something or other brake to simulate load. Will that take care of the pipe glow and the popping on decel! I'll take it back and have him look at it,thanks!

·
Friend of Max.
21,719 Posts
Ron Ciofalo said:
The guy said the dyno had some eddie something or other brake to simulate load. Will that take care of the pipe glow and the popping on decel! I'll take it back and have him look at it,thanks!
Decel popping is a result of warm spots on the exhaust. The gasses will expand and pop. You can richen up a bit and see if that helps. Make sure the joints on the pipe are not leaking. Decel popping will not hurt anything. So if you decide to do nothing abou it, then don't worrry about it. I like decel popping, personally.

·
Big Rooster
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah me too kinda!Eveything is tight,was more concerned with the front pipe glowin.

·
Registered
1,126 Posts
My pipe glows while riding on the highway and also have decel pop. My bike also has the PC111 and the A/F is perfect.

I would not worry about it. It normal.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
snd450 said:
My pipe glows while riding on the highway and also have decel pop. My bike also has the PC111 and the A/F is perfect.

I would not worry about it. It normal.
You know he's talking about the header pipe.... not crack pipe.:hidesbeh:

·
Autobanmod
9,896 Posts
You can read a newspaper in the dark next to my bike... but that's at +100 MPH on the motorway and I have a turbo installed.
I did quite some abuse to my engine before I fitted the turbo and NEVER noticed the header pipes glowing. It might happen with a non supercharged V-Rod on a dynobrake during a longer WOT run at high rpm's but it's certainly not ok for simple highway cruising.
Your setup is either way too lean or your ignition is far too much retarded.

·
VRF0RUMS ORIGINAL
5,763 Posts
Jan-Dirk said:
You can read a newspaper in the dark next to my bike... but that's at +100 MPH on the motorway and I have a turbo installed.
I did quite some abuse to my engine before I fitted the turbo and NEVER noticed the header pipes glowing. It might happen with a non supercharged V-Rod on a dynobrake during a longer WOT run at high rpm's but it's certainly not ok for simple highway cruising.
Your setup is either way too lean or your ignition has far too much retard.
You said retard...

But I agree. "NORMALLY" A N/A bike with glowing headers is bad news. It would seem to me it is running very lean.

·
I'll Take Two Please
396 Posts
1 - 12 of 12 Posts