Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner
1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
There's a word I last heard in the 70's when one of my mates at college put some cheap petrol he bought from a dodgy garage in Birkenhead in his Hillman Avenger. Turned out it had been cut with paraffin and the guy at the garage had his collar felt by HM Customs & Excise. Fast forward to last Sunday and I'm gabbing with a guy on a bog standard 07 Street Bob. He's telling me how hot it is running and I said they are running them very lean to meet the emissions targets. Then he tells me it's pinking under load, straight away another guy with a new Heritage says the same, his bike ***** so bad he has to use Super Unleaded. You want a proper modern engine I said, liquid cooled, I said so you don't have to fit heat deflectors coz it runs so bleedin' hot I said!

·
Registered
546 Posts
One other thing, I hope the fuel used is always super, I dont think there is an H-D product since the Flatheads that used anything less than 91 octane. super, or premium grades are usually 93 octane. I dont know if you folks use the same system, but if you are using anything less than 91, your bike is going to ping like a game arcade.

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Pinging? you sure? never heard it called that before. All standard unleaded is 95 in the UK and Super is 98 or have I got that wrong? I know in Thailand you can get 90 which works fine for the thousands of step thru scooters there, they even sell it by the roadside in old whisky bottles! Sorry I'm rambling here, this is what happens when you live on your own.

·
www.badpenny.org
4,172 Posts
Octane

Geezer 55 said:
One other thing, I hope the fuel used is always super, I dont think there is an H-D product since the Flatheads that used anything less than 91 octane. super, or premium grades are usually 93 octane. I dont know if you folks use the same system, but if you are using anything less than 91, your bike is going to ping like a game arcade.
Our regular is 95 octane with super being 97. You can get a Shell product which is 98 octane as well...

Steve

·
Registered
546 Posts
I wish our fuel Stateside was as hot as yours,, unless the numbers are different. Our average grade fuel is 87 octane, mid grade is 89-90, and premium is 93. We used to have 100 octane available at any station, but those are days gone by. For older cars, and bikes that need to burn leaded premium fuel, its available, costs extra, but is still only 93 octane.. My older bike loves the high test stuff, so i burn the leaded stuff when I can get over to the place that sells it. My street rod, and Buell have to run no-lead. (great sadness,,,)

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts

·
Jeff/Modistrator
6,136 Posts
Our Shell stations around here had 94 oct. up until 3-4 years ago. Now the highest we can get at a station is 93. There is one station that I know of close to a race track that sells 105 oct. The last time I was by there a couple of years ago, it was 6.99/gallon.

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
And while we're on the subject of fuel....

I am getting really sick and tired of stopping for fuel all the time on this bike now, the joke is well and truly over, I mean it. Starting to think about changing this 05 VRSCA and it's bad joke of a fuel tank and since I'm no longer interested in an Aircooled HD it's got to be an 07 or 08 model Vrod. This could be time to look at other makes especially BMW and their 6 gallon tank bikes. Here's my thoughts.
1. I don't fancy either of the aftermarket tanks available, the amount of increase in capacity hardly merits the expense and effort in my opinion.
2. How about I have fabricated two "wing tanks" port and starboard to fit in the hard panniers already on the bike the connect them with a balancing pipe and take a tee off this into the main tank effectively creating one larger tank. you could still use the normal filler cap and the fuel gauge is unaffected. As long as the wing tanks are no higher than the main tank and properly vented they will gravitate the fuel into the main tank which has a much lower base so no need for any electric fuel pump.
I know it's probably illegal and would'nt pass an MOT but as the appearance of the panniers is unchanged apart from the pipework then you would'nt know it was there.
Go on tell me I'm stupid.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,311 Posts
Dave, go steady with the outboard tank thing - God forbid you drop the bike but the risk of making the Millenium fireworks look a poor second does not push my button.

Me and MrVrodder both run Ricks tanks fitted by ourselves. We both agree that the range is in excess of 170 miles, varied riding, enough for most before your arse will need a break. We paid something like £320 direct shipped from Ricks in Germany and believe me they are the 'dogs'.

We both agree the conversion is one of the best you can make to to the pre big tank rods.

If you need any info or even some help to fit just PM me for details. Max also posted a great thread on the Ricks conversion that is worth a look.

Hopefully we will hook up at Hoggin The Bridge and you can take a look at my bike if you need convincing. Certainly much better value than the dough that you will lose if you part ex for one of the latest models.

BTW it is 'pinking' believe me I am old enough to know:)

Skin

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I just don't get this replacement tank thing, I mean there's only so much room available and it looks like they shoehorned the original tank in the first place.
"That looks great! .....Oh Christ we forgot the gas tank! Where the hell can we fit that?" Then there's the aggro with the ignition barrel and the seat latch.
I can't see how you can get 170 miles from the larger tank, I'm not saying you don't but I'm struggling to get 90 miles out of a tankful. It's a crying shame because the bike is fantastic in every other department especially the engine is which outstanding but I'm coming to the end of the line with this fuel business.

·
Registered
429 Posts
No it's "pinging" and I'm even older! It became pinking as a bastardisation.The shock waves generated by the many little explosions that occur when the fuel detonates(rather than a single flame propagation i.e. one bang,) causes metallic echos on the cylinder walls.(Pinging) but commonly known as "Pinking". If you go and buy some "Pinking Shears" you could cut it out!!!

·
Battery Guy
582 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Having slept on the "wing tank" ideal I think you're right, that's a disaster waiting to happen. If I carried a pillion you could ask me "Dave what's got four legs and goes woof? You, ya daft b*stard!"

·
Premium Member
2,102 Posts
I have seen a "Ricks tanks" on the bikes mentioned above and I have to say it is an engineering marvel.
There is not a bit of wasted space in there.

·
Banned
3,228 Posts
groovyknight said:
No it's "pinging" and I'm even older! It became pinking as a bastardisation.The shock waves generated by the many little explosions that occur when the fuel detonates(rather than a single flame propagation i.e. one bang,) causes metallic echos on the cylinder walls.(Pinging) but commonly known as "Pinking". If you go and buy some "Pinking Shears" you could cut it out!!!

No, it's definitely pinking! Dates back to 1910. Pinging just back to 1955 and mainly used in the US and Australia.

From the OED: (you'd think I had nothing better to do :D....oh that's right, I haven't)

pinking, n.
The production of a metallic rattling sound in an internal-combustion engine as a result of over-rapid combustion of the mixture in the cylinder.
1910 Times 2 Nov. 16/5 A plug the screwed part of which projects only inwards beyond the cylinder walls may get so hot as to cause pre-ignition, knocking or pinking. 1930 Flight 11 July 787 A further change was made to a poor grade spirit, and the symptoms of pinking combined with loss of efficiency were much exaggerated. 1968 Pract. Motorist Oct. 205 The detonation causes a distinctive knock (‘pinking’) when the engine is under load.
pinging, n.
b. spec. (chiefly U.S. and Austral.): = PINKING n.3
1955 Pop. Mech. Nov. 203/2 Retard the spark a little at a time..until no pinging is heard. 1969 Telegraph (Brisbane) 1 Feb. 13/4 Tetra-ethyl lead is used to raise octane ratings, reduce engine knock or pinging and minimise engine misfires.

1 - 20 of 46 Posts