Harley Davidson V-Rod Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
max help me pinging/spark knock

I have a new '03, it has less than 300 miles on it, Im going by the manual for break in, after the first tank of gas,stopped,filled up and in 5th gear @60mph(twisting throttle hard) to 5000rpm, Im getting bad spark knock(pinging)-drained gas,filled again(with 93oct.)-still pinging. I have a appt. @ dealer this friday, Ive been told I should be down shifting because of the bikes gearing? any truth to this or do I have a real problem? I ruled out bad gas,any ideas would be appreciated. One time it happened, the motor lost significant power, until I returned it to cruising speed, please help me???

-bubbavrod :helpme:

ps. its bone stock

·
Color me Gone
27,333 Posts
bubba is there any chance the noise you hear at 60 mph is coming from the belt flapping on the guard and not the engine. The speed and rpm you describe is the perfect description of when the belt tends to flop if it is not tight enough.

·
Tired of the crap
2,819 Posts
bubbavrod said:
in 5th gear @60mph(twisting throttle hard) to 5000rpm, Im getting bad spark knock
Bubba:

If you look in your Owners Manual (in the section on gasoline selection) it specifically mentions that you may hear a sound similar to pinging or knocking, especially under the sort of conditions you describe. According to the manual, this is NOT knock, but is in fact the engine reacting to the increased demands you are putting on it. Check it out - but I sincerely doubt that there is really a problem there.

·
Banned
3,131 Posts
bubbavrod said:
I have a new '03, it has less than 300 miles on it, Im going by the manual for break in, after the first tank of gas,stopped,filled up and in 5th gear @60mph(twisting throttle hard) to 5000rpm, Im getting bad spark knock(pinging)-drained gas,filled again(with 93oct.)-still pinging. I have a appt. @ dealer this friday, Ive been told I should be down shifting because of the bikes gearing? any truth to this or do I have a real problem? I ruled out bad gas,any ideas would be appreciated. One time it happened, the motor lost significant power, until I returned it to cruising speed, please help me???

-bubbavrod :helpme:

ps. its bone stock
Read SKIROD's post

·
Registered
34 Posts
Pinging/Knock

Hi Bubba

I have just seen your post it was in "Problems" not "Mechanical" - I had the same problem, I got a great reply from Skirod who knows his stuff, you really need to rev the bike more 5Km to 7K the problem will then go away.

·
MASTER VR TECH
1,777 Posts
Bubba, Thanx for the e-mail. From what I see, Ice is right. I will say this again, and this is not bad. A new VR owner is never explained this at the stealer. And yes, I work for one. The Revolution motor is a different Harley. When I first rode one, I thought to myself "I've rode Big Twins faster than this." How wrong I was my friend. I was never told how to ride it. I always shifted around 3 to 4 grand. Not so with the VR. If you shift out of first into second at these speeds, you are lugg'in it, and so thereafter. This is the ping you hear. Now listen. I tell every new VR owner and Techs,"Try This." Get her up to 5 grand and lay on the throttle"Hold On!" This is the true effect of the VR platform. I am and old school chopper guy. No I do not own a VR. But after I rode on this bike that was produced by H-D, and almost made me Sh*t myself, I said this is the future. I have never been on a faster production H-D in my life. Try It! Now I have been woking on the VRs for almost 2 1/2 years. And I have yet to see one blown. So don't worry about motor damage. Think about this. Your normal V-Twin red lines at around 5 grand. You would shift at 3 to maybe 4. The VRs red line right about 8500 rpm. So normal shifting will be around 6500-7500 Rpm. At 6500 Rpm you should be close to 50mph. Get my point? This is not your normal Harley. Safe shift point is between 6500-7000 Rpm. Try It. Your noise will go away. Later SKI. Check you tire pressure at every fill up!!!

·
Gotis
162 Posts
try this.

Try this, lift the seat, locate the D-clip securing the airboxlid put a little thick tape around the "D" and your problem is solved, just the vibration that make this little sucker rattle and the airboxlid amplifies the sound, try shaking it and you will most probably recognize the sound, scared the shit out of me the first time I heard it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts